Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Customising K-5 for manual lenses

Hi, my girlfriend just replaced her K-r with a K-5 II, and as you'd expect, it's quite a big leap. However, it seems that it is not in the direction that she/we were expecting.
As a manual lens user, many of the K-5 features are largely useless - many dedicated buttons for AF control, even the AF/MF switch on the side sticks out a little when set on MF - sign that the designers weren't actually aware that someone might still use that.
In M mode, the E-dials can't even be customised so that one serves as Tv-shift and the other as ISO-shift. You have to press the ISO button for that. So the front dial is again useless.
And as to the so-called advantages over the K-30, I can't see them, to be honest. The PRIME-M processor seems to allow things that the K-5 hasn't heard of, such as focus peaking and manual exposure in video. And the green button placement is totally off too.
In fact, I was so disappointed when I saw her camera, that I almost ruined her day. I'd like to hear from some manual lens users about what can be done to make the camera a better suit for her M lenses. I know the obvious solution would be to go out and buy all the FA and DA primes, but please.
So what's with the K-5?

03-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #2

I only got my K-5 II a week ago, and I also find myself hunting for the ISO button and the green button in M mode. I simply assume it might take more than a week to get used to button placement. Chill out .

If I'd cared overly about mirror-up features like focus peaking or video then I wouldn't have bought an SLR in the first place. Maybe if those are your must-haves, sell the K-5 and get a K-01 and a couple of lenses instead?
03-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
And as to the so-called advantages over the K-30
There aren't many, other than 14-bit RAW which I'm sure the prime M could handle...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Be easy on your GF. The value point for the K-5II over the K-30 for purely vintage lenses may not be obvious, but that does not make it useless and inferior, just over-priced for that purpose. Her decision may have been based on build (or appearance) more than features.

I have long felt there is a need for a high-level dSLR with features designed around a manual paradigm. I would envision something like a Pentax LX or Nikon FE2, but digital.

Steve

03-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #5

Don't be so hard on your girlfriend. I think the K5 is a great camera with MF lenses. I don't touch the AF/MF switch because I use CIF I don't miss focus peaking because I never use liveview. For M-lenses I use M-mode and of my CZ. lenses I can use Av-mode in addition. In M-mode I have Tv on the back E-dial, more convenient in combination with DOF preview.
I don't see any problem with my K5 and MF lenses, except for the crippled mount.
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
If I'd cared overly about mirror-up features like focus peaking or video then I wouldn't have bought an SLR in the first place. Maybe if those are your must-haves, sell the K-5 and get a K-01 and a couple of lenses instead?
That is going to be my next step

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There aren't many, other than 14-bit RAW which I'm sure the prime M could handle...
Well, I have my doubts about the superiority of the 14-bit raw.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Be easy on your GF. The value point for the K-5II over the K-30 for purely vintage lenses may not be obvious, but that does not make it useless and inferior, just over-priced for that purpose. Her decision may have been based on build (or appearance) more than features.
I have long felt there is a need for a high-level dSLR with features designed around a manual paradigm. I would envision something like a Pentax LX or Nikon FE2, but digital.
Actually, she really liked the magnesium body, and it's her pleasure, after all. If I get that K-01, I'm a happy monkey.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Don't be so hard on your girlfriend. I think the K5 is a great camera with MF lenses. I don't touch the AF/MF switch because I use CIF I don't miss focus peaking because I never use liveview. For M-lenses I use M-mode and of my CZ. lenses I can use Av-mode in addition. In M-mode I have Tv on the back E-dial, more convenient in combination with DOF preview.
I don't see any problem with my K5 and MF lenses, except for the crippled mount.
I take it that those Zeiss lenses are A-type, aren't they?
03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Agreed ... I have tons of fun with manual lenses, plus I have the luxury of AF, etc., when I use those lenses for like pics of my children ... try to MF a 4 year old that won't stay still for more than a few seconds ... J

03-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
....I take it that those Zeiss lenses are A-type, aren't they?
I did not plan it this way, but I have more than a couple of manual lenses, some with the same focal length.

The new Zeiss ZK lenses, of which I have one of - the 25mm/2.8 is a semi A lens. I say semi A lens in that it does go into "A" mode and report aperture, however it does not identify itself as a Zeiss lens to the camera and therefore its identity is not recorded in the EXIF Meta Data of the image.

I also have a couple Contax Carl Zeiss lenses, the 28/2.8 Distagon, along with the 85/2.8 Sonnar, and a old Leica R 28/2.8. These are just plain K lenses (I remounted the mounts with Leitax.com mounts). As such no "A" mode, no aperture reporting (thus the camera defaults to f2.4) and no lens identity in the EXIF. I also have a few Pentax manual lenses, the Tak 135/2.5, M50/1.4, M150/2.8, Super Tak 85/1.8 , Tak 55/1.8 and K 28/2.8 Shift. I would like to be able to maintain EXIF data across all of these.

It would be nice if Pentax provided the ability to enter Lens' ID strings such that after you select the focal length, you then can select the appropriate Lens ID to be recorded into the EXIF. Also, it would be nice to enable you the thumb wheel the aperture to match the aperture ring so that the aperture could be recorded correctly (if you so choose).

I am expecting that what ever new camera Pentax brings out will have all the separate features of the K-01 / K30 / K5 / K5II and IIs combined together.

Last edited by interested_observer; 03-10-2013 at 01:55 PM.