Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5 IIs - Capture One 7 Express vs. LR4

Let me preface by saying that I've been using LR since version 2.x, and I prefer its intuitive interface, but recently I tried CO 7 Express ($100) and was thoroughly impressed. Note: it is somewhat unstable and crashes every so often on my Mac 10.8.2, but I put up with it because the RAW rendering is so great.

LR4 (Adobe Standard, Auto Everything)

CO7 (K5IIs Generic, Film Standard, Auto Everything)

LR4 (Adobe Standard, Custom WB, Manual Matching of CO7)

CO7 (K5IIs Generic, Film Standard, Custom WB, Auto Everything)

LR4 (Custom ColorChecker Profile, Custom WB, Manual Matching of CO7)

In general, CO7 has more saturated colors, albeit less life-like in some situations, but I prefer it more.

Full-size JPGs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcccij7ygnj1p9j/CO7%20vs%20LR4.zip

Last edited by ploetzlich; 03-10-2013 at 04:05 PM.
03-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Dpreview also did a comparison recently but they looked at more software and more aspects.
Raw Converter Showdown: Capture One Pro 7, DxO Optics Pro 8 and Lightroom 4: Digital Photography Review
03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using CO since LE and prefer it to other converters and really liked the new version 7 when I tried the trial of v7 pro. I wanted to upgrade my v6 express and was waiting for the v7 express version to come out, but am disappointed at the changes from v6 express. I dump my memory cards on an external HD in folders by date and open a session from the folder and save jpegs in another folder and the new version drops sessions for a catalog format. Spot removal is gone too , and the focus tool. I don't need tethering of the pro version and don't want to pay so much for the pro version, but I'm not going to import a bunch of files for processing each time, so I'm pretty steamed about the changes.