Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dropped my K-5 - advice needed

Today I had the misfortune of dropping my K-5 IIs/DA*300 from chest height onto a hardwood floor. It happened while I was attaching it to my tripod - the quick release plate didn't connect correctly, and as I let the camera go it dropped with a sickening thud onto the floor. Now when I switch it on, the initial short start up noise has become harsher and louder, with a slight squeak - as if something isn't moving correctly. That aside, everything seems to be working OK - all functions are fine, and pics are being recorded as good as usual (the lens is also fine, thank goodness). I'm now wondering whether I should just ignore the new noise and continue enjoying the camera, or send it in for an evaluation and possible repair. I would much appreciate any thoughts on this, and what could be causing this new noise on startup.

03-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would continue to monitor it using the SR function in both stills and video to 'test' its function under tough conditions. If it performs, I doubt a problem will arise, but if your warranty is running out, I'd have a low threshold to have it checked out sooner rather than later.
03-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try the cleaning and test functions in the menu and see what happens, that give the shake and mirror up a good test.
03-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Banned

Well the dropping is outside off warrenty so I suggest just use the camera and don't mind the misfortune. It's like a first scratch on a new car, now it's the tool you bought it for.

03-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Turn off the SR and see if it still squeaks (it shouldn't)

Try using the sensor clean function and see how much noise it makes.
03-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd check the camera in live view, which will lock the mirror up. With the mirror the largest moving part in your camera, that's the most likely thing to be damaged. I once dropped a Pentax SFX and the lens was damaged, but the camera body was fine. Check if it's the AF motor making the noise by shooting with manual focus.
Include your camera in your house contents insurance - you should be able to claim for future accidents like this.
Regards,
Mark
03-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry about the drop.
If you send it away for a check, I'd suggest sending both camera & lens.
My son dropped his Canon (taking it off the tripod!); sent the body for repairs because the lens seemed OK.
Got the body back and then found an intermitent fault with the lens!

03-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I tried them all: SR still seems to work (based on live view image - no time yet for sharpness tests), but it is definitely much noisier than before the dreaded drop. There are all sorts of loose and rattly sounds while it is working - much more than before, and of course more with longer lenses (as one would expect). Compared to my other body (K5), SR activity is now much noisier. Turning SR off does not prevent the new louder, harsher start-up noise. What is that noise (the short noticeable sound just as the camera is turned on - not the sensor cleaning noise, which was and still is almost inaudible)? Cleaning and mirror lock functions all seem fine. Live view works fine. So in summary, the result of the drop is just the louder harsher noise on start up, and the noisier, loose sound during SR activity - but all seemingly producing normal pics. I'll probably send it in, just to get peace of mind that the camera is functioning optimally. Main lesson: be much more careful using the quick release plate on the tripod!
03-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That pre-start up noise on switching the camera on is normal. It is like a motorised scratchy noise that has no ill effect that I attributed to the sensor mechanism. It has always been present on my K-5. My SR is also noisier since a recent drop but it has not affected function at all. Seems we're going through the same minor changes after the drop.