Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #46

Stormtech, the reason I sold my K-5 was exactly this AF float problem. After one year I got sick of checking every single day to see if the focus is right before actually starting shooting. I got the k-5IIs and I'm happy to say the problem is gone, thank God.....I also shoot indoors a lot and I don't have any problems with different light sources like I used to have with k-5....

10-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks Quote
Stormtech, the reason I sold my K-5 was exactly this AF float problem. After one year I got sick of checking every single day to see if the focus is right before actually starting shooting. I got the k-5IIs and I'm happy to say the problem is gone, thank God.....I also shoot indoors a lot and I don't have any problems with different light sources like I used to have with k-5....
That's great! I was in the same boat as you - every time I would go shoot I would spend more time checking for focus accuracy than I would shooting. I also drove myself nuts doing focus calibrations over and over again.

I see with the new K-3 announcement many folks are saying they are upgrading from the K-5 for a hopefully better focus system. At least you and I know that Pentax already fixed it with the K-5IIs!
10-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #48
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can also attest that my old K-5 did struggle in low light with massive front focus, but it was constant (not worse with time) and in good light the focus was always spot on.
I did pass it on as I couldn't resist the better accuracy in focusing with the K-5 II. Although I'm all for moving up to the next level of technology, I'm more careful as my experience going from the K20D, which took its time in getting focus right in low light, to the K-5, which simply was too confident in locking AF incorrectly, has checkered my attitude towards faster AF technology. Right now, the K-5 IIs seems to be doing the job for me in every application without much trouble or fuss. I'm quite happy with the meager 16Mp and haven't spotted any moire, so there isn't a compelling impetus for me to shift to the K-3, particularly as I'm not shooting for profit much anymore.
10-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #49
ogl
Banned

Firmware 1.04. K-5IIs and all my lenses - see below. NO ANY PROBLEM. NO AF ADJUSTMENT.

Sold K-5 one year ago and happy with K-5IIs. AF is more accurate.

K-5 had AF float problem. Even K200D was better. Slower, of course, missed sometimes, but more predictable.

10-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I can also attest that my old K-5 did struggle in low light with massive front focus, but it was constant (not worse with time) and in good light the focus was always spot on.
I did pass it on as I couldn't resist the better accuracy in focusing with the K-5 II. Although I'm all for moving up to the next level of technology, I'm more careful as my experience going from the K20D, which took its time in getting focus right in low light, to the K-5, which simply was too confident in locking AF incorrectly, has checkered my attitude towards faster AF technology. Right now, the K-5 IIs seems to be doing the job for me in every application without much trouble or fuss. I'm quite happy with the meager 16Mp and haven't spotted any moire, so there isn't a compelling impetus for me to shift to the K-3, particularly as I'm not shooting for profit much anymore.
I had the same impression of my K-5 vs K20d low light AF. If the K20d had a focus assist lamp (other than the flash) I would prefer its low light AF over the K-5. I love the K-5 sensor in low light, but the AF and a few other glitches have been a disappointment. It has always felt like a finicky sports car that was beautiful when it it was tuned and ran, but might not run that way every day. It sounds like the K-5 II pair changed that.

I'll probably go for the K-5 IIs, especially if there is another price drop from the appearance of the K-3, and check back in a year or so whether there is a K-3 II.
10-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #51
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I were you and you had the funds, the K-3 would be on my radar. Because I already have the k-5 IIs, there no pressing need I have to upgrade. Time will tell about how the predictive AF works on the K-3 in different lighting situations but I would watch that space closely.
10-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If I were you and you had the funds, the K-3 would be on my radar. Because I already have the k-5 IIs, there no pressing need I have to upgrade. Time will tell about how the predictive AF works on the K-3 in different lighting situations but I would watch that space closely.
That may be the way to go. The only problem with the K-3 (other than needing yet another expensive battery grip) is that it seems to take about a year before we all know what the issues of a new body may be. We knew about sensor stains on the K-5 pretty quickly, but other issues took time.

10-25-2013, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That may be the way to go. The only problem with the K-3 (other than needing yet another expensive battery grip) is that it seems to take about a year before we all know what the issues of a new body may be. We knew about sensor stains on the K-5 pretty quickly, but other issues took time.
That may be the way to go. The only problem with the K-3 (other than needing yet another expensive battery grip) is that it seems to take about a year before we all know what the issues of a new body may be
Fortunately I am SO satisfied with my K5iis that I'll probably wait at least 6 months to a year before getting a K3 to allow for the inevitable bugs to be worked out.

Pat
10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had my K-5 II for several months, long enough to claim that I am very satisfied with the accuracy, precision and consistency of its autofocus. For example, I recently shot ~100 images of a university jazz orchestra in concert under typical artificial stage lighting, using a DA* 50-135 and DA 15mm. Having shot similar concerts in the past with a K-5, I obtained a higher keeper rate with the K-5 II, with most images being in focus even at lower lighting levels. I also found that the AF was more sure and locked on more confidently.

I have calibrated the AF Fine Adjustment for all my lenses, and observe that their AF is very consistent, as determined in the field and using a repeatable "basement laboratory" setup with controlled lighting, target, and analysis.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.
10-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Fortunately I am SO satisfied with my K5iis that I'll probably wait at least 6 months to a year before getting a K3 to allow for the inevitable bugs to be worked out.

Pat
That was my original plan, and the reason for my questions.
10-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #56
Veteran Member

We knew about sensor stains on the K-5 pretty quickly, but other issues took time.
Odd isn't it how information comes to light. It was only February 2013 that I bought my used K-5 and I swear that at that time the only problem that I knew to look out for was the sensor stain. The K-5 is so much more camera than my old k100dS, and yet, there are times when using my DA 17-70 that I want to think that the image I just shot with the K-5 would have been sharper had I used the K100dS. So now I'm worried that I've got focus issues somewhere. But the world can know about problems with new technology only as soon as it can, and no sooner.
10-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
It was only February 2013 that I bought my used K-5 and I swear that at that time the only problem that I knew to look out for was the sensor stain.
Well, sensor stains had been long been an issue of the past already at that time, along with many other issues you apparently missed.

Some of the issues I referenced above still exists today, though. The flash overexposure bug has never been fully addressed (apparently a hardware limitation is at play) and the K-5's AF low-light issues and its dependence on colour temperature have long been known (since 2011). Some users, of course, claimed their K-5 doesn't have the issue and that most people cannot use their cameras correctly, but if you had read Falk Lumo's report you would have known that it is more likely that the users "without the problem" just didn't know how to provoke it.

All good with the K-5 II, however, AFAIC. It believe it still has the P-TTL flash overexposure issue, but I personally don't care because I'm using external flashes in manual setting only.

P.S.: If you have AF issues in normal daylight then you may want to consider reading my AF adjustment hints. Be careful, though, as inadequate changes to the AF adjustment values can make things worse. You need to set aside a lot of time, if you want to do this right.
10-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
along with many other issues you apparently missed
A very good list, and thanks for sharing. I apparently did miss this all. I'm glad to see the AF improvements being done, however.
10-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #59
Pentaxian

A very good list, and thanks for sharing.
Thanks, but please bear in mind that I posted this a long time ago.

It looks like Pentax QC got better in the meantime and they went through a particularly rough patch at the time (perhaps Hoya-related, I don't know). Other cameras had/have their issues too, as Pentaxians we just happen to know less about them.

I bought my K-5 II with confidence and am glad to report that it performs as it should without any issues.
10-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Odd isn't it how information comes to light. It was only February 2013 that I bought my used K-5 and I swear that at that time the only problem that I knew to look out for was the sensor stain. The K-5 is so much more camera than my old k100dS, and yet, there are times when using my DA 17-70 that I want to think that the image I just shot with the K-5 would have been sharper had I used the K100dS. So now I'm worried that I've got focus issues somewhere. But the world can know about problems with new technology only as soon as it can, and no sooner.
It is a shame because I used the DA 17-70 as my workhorse zoom, and it does not play as well with the K5 as with the K20d or Kx.