Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Memory card issue

Thought I would post this to possibly help other users in the future. I was on a shoot yesterday where I had to do still and video with my K5. When i first turned on the camera It took a test shot and noticed an error message that said no card in camera but the SD card was in there. I reinserted the card and continued to finish the shoot. Upon returning home I put the ZSD card in to my card reader and got and error that there were errors on the card and would I like to fix it to include any bad sectors ...I bet you know where this is going. The fix erased the whole card! I should mention that the pictures and video where fine when I viewed them in the camera. I probably should just hooked up the cameras USB cable and transferred the data that way.

I've read somewhere on the forums that you should always format your cards in camera and to minimize the times you actually pull the card out of the camera. I've since reformatted the card in camera and tested it I didn't have any problems with it. The SD cards is a Panasonic LX 32gb class 10. I hope this never happens again but from now on I'll be a lot more cautious with my data. You have no idea how bummed out I am about this. The customer loved the pics and the video came out great viewing on the camera

03-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I've read somewhere on the forums that you should always format your cards in camera
Yes, definitely.

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
and to minimize the times you actually pull the card out of the camera.
Yes, but not as critical at the first point.
03-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can try to recover using one of the recovery software products IF you do not reformat the card. SanDisk provides access for a year with each Extreme SD card to their recovery software (which has worked for me rather well) but I understand that there are even better recovery packages out on the net.
03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Yes, but not as critical at the first point.
What is your opinion about card readers then?

03-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I refuse to hook my camera up to a device that runs Microsoft software. (Call me cautious!)
I have a Sandisk card reader that I bought after a string of cheap eBay ones died (some were $2-$3 including postage from China to Australia)
The Sandisk one cost lots more. I now have a PC with inbuilt SD slot and use that. Both these options have worked faultlessly and have given me a physical firewall between the K5 and the PC.
03-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Provided you select the correct file system when doing a PC based format, I do not appear to have had problems with pc formatted cards.

But removable media does seem to get the gremlins in them at times. I have had recent trouble with using Raw+JPEG for the first time recently. The RAW file would write Ok, but not always the JPEG, and then would get a card full message on some occasions as well. Cycling the camera off and on seemed to clear the error for a while. Ultimately has all the RAW files I shot on the card but maybe only 85-90% of the matching JPEGs. Could be a camera related issue for me maybe. Was a new card as well, so I need to revert to RAW only for a while and see if error goes away.
03-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Have you tried to recover your data? There is a good chance for that even after a quick format of the SD card as long as you do not write new data to it! Just search the net for some photo recovery software for your operating system ...

03-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Provided you select the correct file system when doing a PC based format, I do not appear to have had problems with pc formatted cards.

But removable media does seem to get the gremlins in them at times. I have had recent trouble with using Raw+JPEG for the first time recently. The RAW file would write Ok, but not always the JPEG, and then would get a card full message on some occasions as well. Cycling the camera off and on seemed to clear the error for a while. Ultimately has all the RAW files I shot on the card but maybe only 85-90% of the matching JPEGs. Could be a camera related issue for me maybe. Was a new card as well, so I need to revert to RAW only for a while and see if error goes away.
With that, I'd try reformatting the card on my computer, then putting it in the camera and formatting it through the camera. That killed the gremlins for me the one time that happened a few years ago with a Canon for me.
03-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never removed and never formatted a single SD card, I always connected the camera to the PC (with microsoft software) and I had never a problem since six years.
03-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was able to use some software (recuva) I found on the net and was able to recover all of the pictures. None of the video but I'll take the pictures as they are more important. After the post by ewelot I decided to try even though I had formatted the card. Glad to know it wasn't a total loss and this was kind of important for me as I did the whole shoot with my A35-105mm manual lens. First shoot with that being the only lens I used and the pics came out great!