Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Since the days of K-10D until now, I still do not know what "Green" Mode is and already completely forgot about it.

03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use "P" for snapshots and Av or M for almost everything else.

Steve
03-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I had 18 years of practice with fully manual cameras, including 2 SLRs, and was used to lightmeters and all manual settings. However, I missed quite a lot of shots when I was just not fast enough.

When I bought my first automatic SLR (a Porst with PK mount - Cosina made clone of the Pentax ME), it was a big advantage when I was not really prepared to shoot. But sometimes not having the possibility to do everything manually was a restriction. That was the reason why I changed after less than half a year to a used Pentax ME Super.

I changed habits again when I got the Super A: It was always set to "P", as a precaution for sudden occasions. When there was time for arranging everything, I would change to Av (and, of course, when I used "M" lenses).

With my K200D, there is no need to act this way, it's always "P" and program shift. I don't see any advantage of Manual, Tv, or Av, when I use "A" lenses. I can adjust with program shift and EV without moving my hands. I really miss P-shift when I (seldom enough) use the Super A or MZ-5n. The Z-20 has got it, but I prefer the MZ-5n for other reasons.

If the K200D would offer a true custom mode, I would program my own "green" mode for unexpected occasions: "P", but with wider allowance instead of fixed ISO 100, highlight preserving, matrix exposure instead of spot, auto matrix AF. But never the built-in green mode.
03-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

LoL... First DSLR here; Kr, and immediately started learning on M mode, progressed to Av, then regressed back to M mode for good.. Dunno why...
Always on 100% manual.. even when i'm using AF glass! WtH?! I dunno why too.. :'(
Too addictive and i trust my eyes better than the AF system...

03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I use Av exclusively except my M/M42 lenses which are.... M. Well, once I tried Tv mode.

I would kill for TAv mode though...
03-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I will admit that sometimes when I need a fast picture right away that I will in fact dial up the green mode and shoot away. More often in low light than any other situation.
I never have it in green mode. I often use the green button. Does that count?
03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
hcc
Pentaxian

I use the Green mode. I am neither proud nor afraid to acknowledge it.

I normally shoot in P (hyper-mode), using the rear and front wheels to control manually the shutter speed and aperture when required, and the green button to reset all back to full P mode.

But I like and use the Green mode in several situations:

- my children want to take a shot from time to time; the Green mode is perfect for them; they are not SLR shooters and do not know how to use Tv or Tav modes;

- I need to take some important shots in the rush, and I do not want to 'stuff up' - yes, this may happen to anyone - the best mode is the Green mode;

- I shoot in the dark and I cannot check the view finder; the safest mode is the Green mode.

There is nothing to be ashamed to use the Green mode IMO, and there are some situtations for which the Green mode is the smart choice.

Hope that the comment may help some of us....

Last edited by hcc; 03-11-2013 at 09:54 PM.
03-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Still being new to Pentax and DSLR's in general, I still switch to green mode while I am walking around or otherwise of guard. That way if something comes up unexpected a can capture it quickly. It may not be the best but shooting in Raw can try to recover some loss. I would just rather be able to capture some usable image than fumbling with controls and missing it or shooting a shot that is completely unusable. I would hope that as I progress I would get better but I can still see the benefit of having the camera in Auto in my passenger seat as I drive around should ok need to stop and take a quick, one handed shot.

03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
P stands for "Professional" - Ken Rockwell
90+% of the time, my camera is set to "X", so I guess by that logic, it makes it pr0n.
03-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Another P user here. Errr maybe I should rephrase that?

I think Pentax has the most brilliant Program mode and it has auto, Av and Tv all rolled up together. Just turn the rear or front wheel and hey presto you are in Hyper Av or Hyper Tv. And yet to start with the camera takes a pretty good guess at some settings until you tell it to change - ideal for off the cuff quick shorts. Brilliant!

Although that said I sometimes need to use Manual mode (for my manual lenses and night shots).

I have never used green mode on my K-5 but when I first got my K-x I did try green for a day or two - it got me started at least.
03-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #26
Pentaxian

When I first got my K10D a few years ago, I shot in Green Mode for the first week or so until I figured out what all the buttons and dials did. It was my first DSLR and I wanted to go out and shoot. I hardly ever use it anymore and I don't think my K5 has ever been in Green.
03-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I've used P just to see how the picture would come out on some occasions. I thought it would save me some work but I find Av to be just as quick since that's what I use most of the time.
03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #28
SPM

I don't have a K-5II yet (it'll be my Spring indulgence) but still use my wonderful old K200D, which of course has the Green button
I leave it on Sv most of the time but every now and then I look at the manual to remind myself of what the Green mode is - then never use it.
It is odd how one's habits change. When I was using my MZ-5N film camera I nearly always used it in complete manual mode and shunned the automatic features that attracted me to the camera. Now I use manual mode only when in difficult lighting scenes or other special circumstances.

I do not think I would ever use Auto/Green with a K-5 - when the camera is so versatile.
03-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #29
Pentaxian

When I first gifted myself, the D3000…I lived on Green mode….even after understand exposure..I was not confident enough with my own setting!! I used to take picture one with green mode and one with the selected Av or Tv hahaha… I trusted my camera more than myself at early stage!!
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Green mode? Where do you find it in the menu of a K5?