Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How many will admit to using the "GREEN" Mode

I will admit that sometimes when I need a fast picture right away that I will in fact dial up the green mode and shoot away. More often in low light than any other situation.

03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, the only time my K5 goes into Auto is when my wife uses it.
Other than that, it pretty much "lives* in Av unless I can't quite get what I'm chasing.
03-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

P is the new Green

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2013 at 08:27 AM.
03-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I will admit that sometimes when I need a fast picture right away that I will in fact dial up the green mode and shoot away. More often in low light than any other situation.
To be fair, never even touched it. Ever, really.
Using TAv and Av is just as fast as green mode.
In good light, just set your aperture and check if you need any EV compensation...
In low light, set your aperture and shutter speed and let the camera choose the ISO for you! Its just perfect.

03-11-2013, 05:40 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
P is the new Green
P stands for "Professional" - Ken Rockwell
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
P stands for "Professional" - Ken Rockwell
Oh thank you! Thank you. You finally broke the code for me!
03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Only Av and M for me. I use P on point and shoots.

03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I used the green mode for a couple days when I first got my *istD. Then I got a copy of "Understanding Exposure", and it's been Av or M ever since.
03-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It goes against my religious beliefs. I am an Orthodox Manual shooter.
03-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot in manual mode with M lenses and Helios. I sometimes shoot a scene in Green mode, and check the settings, then go to manual mode and adjust aperture and shutter speed to get results closer to my idea of what I am trying to achieve. It is like: Camera, what can you do, now let me do it better with Green mode as a starting point. I do use autofocus with lens that offer it, but sometimes fine tune the focus. I use split prism Katzeye to focus with non-AF lens, meaning I use my non-AF lens almost entirely on my K-20, and AF lens of K-7.
03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never touched the l'il devil on the ist*DS, 20D or the K5. If blind-sided on the street with a question about what it does, I'd really have to think about it. TAv, AV or M seem to work although I always forget to change some button, dial or fn setting. As a member commented in another post today, I just keep moving those little gizmos 'till I get something right.
03-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #12

Ya, I'll admit it. When my daughter is doing something cute and I need to run to the camera cabinet (yes cabinet, Hi, my name's Rod and I'm a camera addict), by the time I get the correct camera there's just time to grab it, hit green mode, and shoot. If it makes me sound a little less amateurish I know what each camera will do on green mode and select the correct camera for the situation . In any other situation I'll use Av or M (M stands for manly).
03-11-2013, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The closest I come to green mode is in P for snapshots. If I am composing and thinking about a shot I always use either Av/Tv or M. I've actually never used the green mode now that I think about it, not even when I was a beginner with my K100D Super.
03-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

I don't use Green any more, but that's not because I don't think its useful. It just that some of the other auto modes are as good and will produce raw files if desired.

I used green mode a lot when I first bought my K-x... and have the lovely, glowey cheesy but generally happy JPEGs to prove it. I love 'em because they are the shots that introduced me to the fun of photography before I really cared about technique. But I am glad for Green Mode and the shots I took with it because they are the shots I would never have had without it. I am not sure that makes sense.

After I grew curious with what lay beyond green I muddled around a bit and then bought Understanding Exposure and became a M mode fanatic for a while. It was great for learning what the big three settings did, but I missed a lot of shots because of it. Some of the joy and spontenaity of just taking photos was lost as well. These days, I shoot M when I really want a specific artistic result or when I am using my K1000 for kicks.

But as for the original poster's question... I don't use Green any more. Ever. But that's not because I am a snob when it comes to trusting the camera's capabilities in situations that are just too spontaneous or evolving too fast for me to manually respond to. I am still far too short in technical skill to be able to safely rely on my own settings in a time critical situation (though I do try, for practice' sake). I would probably still use Green for just walking around if it wasn't for one little factor; I usually like a RAW image to muck around with at the end of the day. In fact, due to the nature of snaps of opportunty I especially want maximum flexibility when I get home, so RAW is essential for me.

My current "Green" equivelant for when I am just walking around and have no idea what will be in the next frame is TAv with spot metering and centred autofocus. I feel that the biggest strength of a modern camera is ISO range, so I let the camera do the work in picking ISO while I set shutter and aperture to the general conditions (usually sharpest aperture for the lens and 1/125).

Having said that, I would estimate that well over half of my shots are Av when I have some idea of what is going to be in frame next. Which is most of the time. Thus, while I don't do Green any more, it's not because I think it is cheating. There is nothing wrong with trusting your camera's capabilities in a tight spot when it can respond more accurately and quickly than you. I just don't use Green because some of the other auto modes do just as well and prodice raw files if desired.
03-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Green mode switches off lens corrections and RAW, and then switches on all 11 AF points so it can guess focus, 3 reasons I don't like using it.