Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Weird and scary glitch on monitor during Live View on K5 IIs

Hi,

So this has happened a few times now. At least twice, maybe three times. I've had Live View on, the camera gets jarred (barely) and the image goes bonkers. I get weird bars and interference on the monitor. To fix it I have to take the battery out. And when I say jarred, I don't mean i've dropped it. I mean i've had it on the tripod there and then changed orientation, to vertical from horizontal or vice versa.

This is kind of freaking me out and making me wonder about exchanging it for another or something else completely if it's going to be so delicate. I've had it less than a month and installed the second to last firmware upgrade.

Anyone else had this issue? Thanks!!

Attached Images

03-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Bad hardware, have it repaired or replaced on warranty.
03-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One test you could do is to take it off the tripod and then try the same orientation changes that triggered the corrupted display. If you can't duplicate the problem then I will assume that you are likely crimping a circuit board somehow by attaching it to the tripod. Do you use a grip on your camera? A grip should isolate any circuit board near the bottom of the camera.

Jack
03-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
So I just tried what jbinpg suggested. Off the tripod I turned on LV, swung it back and forth, knocked it around a few times (lightly and with trepidation) and got nothing. Seemed fine aside from the electronic sloshing I imagined myself hearing. Hate to have to buy a $200 grip just to keep this from happening. Still under a month from my purchase at BH so I may exchange it...just considering my options.

03-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wafflehaus Quote
Still under a month from my purchase at BH so I may exchange it...just considering my options.
Just exchange it. It's broken.

If you don't, it will get worse, and it will recur at the least opportune time possible.
03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is shake reduction on or off when on tripod?
03-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
It looks like it was on this particular time. Hard to say for the other time(s).

Just tried to recreate with SR off and I banged it enough (still not very hard) to where the camera turned SR on. Strange. The glitch did not make an appearance.

03-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See if you can reproduce the problem with Shake Reduction off. I know Shake Reduction should be off when the camera is used on tripod, but would not have thought that should cause display issues. Also check the depth of the tripod mount screw. If the screw is too long, that could cause distortion in the camera frame which may cause issues.
As you've purchaed the camera very recently, a swap may not be a bad idea! Good luck!
03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Mark. I appreciate the input. Just odd. I searched all over for this, but haven't found another case like it.
03-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the old days way before digital, photogs were constantly admonished not to screw their tripod mounting screw all the way in to the camera base. Standard advice was to screw it all the way in then back it off a bit then cinch it tight with the retaining nut. This prevented someone from accidentally puncturing or deforming the camera base. Something to watch out for.
03-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax original battery or third-party ?
03-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That is indeed a hardware fault - my k-x does the same when I strike it with enough force (someone's elbow hitting my camera while hanging off my neck). It happened after someone dropped my k-x about 5 feet onto hard floor. Something is loose on the circuit board, and a strong strike causes that piece to disconnect then reconnect.

It's also similar to my old laptop, which would show that sort of screen whenever I just tap it (so it was more severe).
03-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #13

Original Poster
I use an oem battery.

I have never heard that about the tripod mount screw. i'll have to look into that. I don't know how i'd be able to do what you described. The only "nut" there is is the quick release mounting plate for my gear head. and after looking at it the screw doesn't seem that long. Just eyeballing it i'd say the screw is shorter than the cavity in the camera.

Jin, was it too late to do anything about it when you noticed this? Can't switch it out before the weekend, as I have a shoot on Saturday, but I may send it back for a replacement on Monday.
03-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wafflehaus Quote
I use an oem battery.

I have never heard that about the tripod mount screw. i'll have to look into that. I don't know how i'd be able to do what you described. The only "nut" there is is the quick release mounting plate for my gear head. and after looking at it the screw doesn't seem that long. Just eyeballing it i'd say the screw is shorter than the cavity in the camera.

Jin, was it too late to do anything about it when you noticed this? Can't switch it out before the weekend, as I have a shoot on Saturday, but I may send it back for a replacement on Monday.
For my k-x, it takes a really hard knock to induce it. When I turn it off and turn it back on, it's working already. It's only gone into that state about 3 times in the last 2 years, so it has not affected me much to look into. If yours takes only a small impact to go into this state, then I would definitely send it back. Unfortunately I do not know of a temp fix for it.

A little conjecture - I don't need to take out my batteries in my k-x to reset the issue. You have to take out your lithium ion battery to reset your issue. Is there any possible way for you to get a battery grip and use the AA batteries instead? I think you can use the battery grip without the OEM battery inside (can someone confirm/deny this?). Maybe the loose connection is associated with the power connection to the battery compartment.
03-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #15

Original Poster
Well, that's another thing. I wouldn't mind getting a grip. I've considered it and may get one in the future, but for extra battery life and a little more stability. I don't feel I should have to spend $200 on an accessory to have this not happen.