Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Viewfinder?

This may or may not have been posted up on here someplace, but recently I was outdoors walking around the neighbourhood, it was the nicest day we've had for a while here in the frozen tundra that is known as Wisconsin, anywho, it was very bright out, and I had noticed that the L.E.D inside of the view finder (the one that shows all your information) was almost impossible to see. And as I usually shoot in full manual mode, this poses a bit of a problem for me.. I am curious to know if there is any way to adjust it so it is easier to see while shooting in bright light? Any help here would be fantastic! Thanks,
Brandon

03-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No adjusting there, it is what it is.
03-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No adjusting there, it is what it is.
Oh, alright, that is a bit unfortunate. Oh well, thank you for the help!
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

I used to have the same problem with my Kr. Moving from bright area to looking through view finder was taking a while for me to see all there was. I upgraded to the K5 mainly for the top LCD. I point the camera in the general direction and half press shutter and then make adjustments viewing the top screen before looking through the viewfinder to compose. It still takes a few seconds for the info to materialize in my vision. I dont think there is any adjustment other than waiting for the eye to dilate???

03-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That could be the case, I had a similar problem on my K-10D but not nearly as bad IMO. But that is probably one of the very few negative things I could say about the K-5. Would using a different mode (I.e Av or even Tv) work out a bit better?
03-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hi

It is my all time biggest complaint about the green data display of the viewfinder.

In bright sun or low sun where sunlight at an angle is sneaking in from the side, (particularly if you wear glasses as I do), makes the info unreadable.
At night it is often much too bright and glare is a pain, so a simple potentiometer to adjust the brightness is long overdue and should be no problem to implement within the camera.

Have written to Pentax about it several times without success.
Maybe one day.

Greetings
03-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have experienced this myself and have just put up with it, but I think you can get rubber eyecups that fit over the viewfinder which should solve your problem.

Jeff
03-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Meter display has been a problem ever since they added meters to SLRs. At first they used mechanical pointers, which you couldn't see against dark areas in dim light, then they went to LEDs which were great indoors, but were also hard to see in bright sun. The LCD displays used now seem to combine the worst of both. I guess camera designers must expect more "live view" use.
Using the top LCD is a good idea. Back when cameras had shutter speed dials and lenses had aperture rings you could always read and set those in any light before bringing the camera to your eye, even if the meter didn't work.

03-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I only use the VF meter when I need to make sure I'm holding the camera level. The top panel is what I use normally and don't go LV with
AF lenses.

Last edited by tabl10s; 03-16-2013 at 12:16 PM.
03-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Get a hat.
03-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
...get rubber eyecups that fit over the viewfinder which should solve your problem.
Had tried them, they don't work if you wear glasses.