Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

First shot Pentax DA*50-135mm
Second Sigma 17-70mm/f2.8-4.5
Third Pentax DA*50-135mm

03-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter

I tend to agree with these concerns about the K5. I was about to start a new thread when I saw this one. Bought one about a month back after selling my K200 at Adorama (stupid mistake of having done this) and while my 18-250mm focusing perfectly fine at any focal length irrespective of the lighting conditions (or appears because of the slow apertures), my DA35mm f2.4 and the recently acquired Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 are all over the place. I even sent my Sigma along with the K5 to Sigma for calibration of the lens thinking it might be a new lens issue but it came back as it was before. I still need to dial in -10 and inspite of this the focus is not 100% in place.
I agree that greater the distance from the subject the more out of focus it is. I am speaking to all the shots taken indoors in tungsten light but I can attest to the fact that a number of the shots are out of focus even in bright light outdoors. This is when I am shooting wide open on both the 35mm and the sigma lens.
I am having a tough time trying to figure out if it is a lens issue or a K5 issues. At times it is fine with the Pentax lenses but with the Sigma I have had no shot to 100% of my satisfaction.
Maybe I am expecting too much as my wife says that ‘it is sharp enough’ (she still shoots with the ‘Green’ mode) but I am not satisfied.
I now about the extremely large size of the AF sensors on K5 but that should not be an excuse for the sloppy AF performance of the K5. After 5 years being in the Pentax camp, I am now one unsatisfied customer. Considering K5 was the flagship model till a few months back.
I will be more than happy if some says they are user issues, but I don’t expect them to be so.
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It stops becoming an issue once you're aware. I was totally surprised the first gig I did with my brand spanking new at the time (Dec 2010) K-5, over half the shots were out of focus but that was because I had too much faith in the K-5's sensor being far superior to the AF module. Now I set it to Centrepoint, cross ref with the Katzeye and my keeper rate has gone up to 95% as regards focus.
03-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frstep Quote
robbiec, I can dial in -10 and it's still off... in anything other than bright daylight. Trouble is, much of the time I want to be using large apertures, it's in mixed or artificial light.
Something wrong there with camera & lens combination. You're only hope would be to have both calibrated at the same time.