Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what's on my sensor?

Hi Everyone,
I need help! recently I just notice black dots on my image. I am not sure if it is dust or the famous K5's sensor stain. Could somebody help take a look at images below?
both images are the same, the first one is the original image, the second one, I use photoshop to boost up level and image saturation to make it easier to spot the black dots.
I test with 3 difference lens, black dots are showing up in the very same spot. I also use dust removal and sensor cleaning feature on my K5 both before and after take this photo. nothing seem to help.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 06-22-2013 at 07:38 PM.
03-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #2

Looks to me like dust. I had some spots on my K-r that would not come off by DR or by a rocket blower. My K5IIs has yet to have this problem even though it endures hundreds of lens changes in all sort of conditions. If you use LR4 and usually do not shoot at closed aperture, I would not rush to do a wet clean and just use the spot removal tool. If it gets worse or shows up too often, it might need a good clean. Just my opinion though. I hope it lets go of your sensor soon!

Last edited by CB Knipp; 03-20-2013 at 01:07 AM.
03-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks like dust - the sensor stain mostly appeared as a streak of spots, with notable halo around each.
03-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sticky bits of dust or dirt, I'd say. Sometimes they are hard to remove except with a proper physical sensor clean, like that provided by the Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1.

The K-5 sensor stain problem was typically a 'string of pearls' kind of pattern.

03-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you all for the quick reply. I will try the O-ICK1.

you know what? I just remember that the last time I use my K5 was when I took this photo with DA15 on it.
I hadn't changed lens since then. every image before that day doesn't have the dots. dots start showing up on images I took later that day, and every image with every lens I test today.
the 15 is not a weather seal lens, may be that's why.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-20-2013 at 01:38 AM.
03-20-2013, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

I was just cleaning my K-5 and some lenses the other day. I have a mixed quality, mostly el cheapo chinese things for cleaning; some eclipse, sensor swabs, loupe, blower and some other little stuff. And I've done it quite a few times, and had no big problems ever. I knew the sensor was pretty clean so I just used the blower to the mirror. Good thing to do every once in a while.

Anyway, done with the lenses, I took a few test shots although I could see they were just fine. But the pictures turned out absolutely horrible. I was like 'whaaaaaaat', man, did I just fsck them up or what. I put the mirror up and looked at the sensor with the loupe, and... What. The. Actual. F***. There's a small feather sitting on the sensor. A little feather. Height 1/3rd of the sensor, sitting on the sensor, just off the other side. How-- wh-- I don't even.

Got it out with a couple swabs, made the sensor nice and shiny again, after which the pics look as they should. So in the end it all turned out fine. Just saying, there can be really large objects in there, even if you've never been anywhere near a chicken house. Good thing to peek inside every now and then. The loupe is a must, it enables you to see the tiny little basterds you're trying to get rid of.
03-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jiimaa Quote
Anyway, done with the lenses, I took a few test shots although I could see they were just fine. But the pictures turned out absolutely horrible. I was like 'whaaaaaaat', man, did I just fsck them up or what. I put the mirror up and looked at the sensor with the loupe, and... What. The. Actual. F***. There's a small feather sitting on the sensor. A little feather. Height 1/3rd of the sensor, sitting on the sensor, just off the other side. How-- wh-- I don't even.
That was one of the funnier things I have read in a while, jiimaa. I can only imagine your surprise to see a feather had made your sensor it's bed.

03-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jiimaa Quote
The loupe is a must, it enables you to see the tiny little basterds you're trying to get rid of.
I know that feel. I once had a tiny, tiny ant running around inside my K-x. I finally got rid of it near the focus screen, but it also turned up in a few shots beforehand after visiting the sensor. I still can't figure out how it got in there.