Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #1

Removing K5 D-rings?

Thinking of trying a Black Rapid but as I wouldnt be using the D-rings, I was wondering if they can be removed?

Last thing I want to do is damage or scratch anything!

03-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
Last thing I want to do is damage
I guess stay away from the oxyacetylene torch then for burning them off.

Seriously I'm not sure how to remove them, someone will be along in a minute with the right answer.
03-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I guess stay away from the oxyacetylene torch then for burning them off.
Lol - extreme measures?!
03-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't use the neck strap anymore, but just left the D-rings on. Probably for the same reasons you see, they're tight little things. I did add S-biners to the kit strap so I can use it if I want, but I like the sling strap attaching to the tripod mount better.

03-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Thinking of trying a Black Rapid but as I wouldnt be using the D-rings, I was wondering if they can be removed?

Last thing I want to do is damage or scratch anything!
Do you mean the triangular stainless steel rings that come with the K-5 for attachment of the neck strap? These come off and on easily. If you use your fingernail to spread the tip apart instead of a metal tool you won't scratch anything.

Or do you mean the connector on the BlackRapid? You would have to cut that off with a hacksaw, or unstitch the BlackRapid strap, remove the connector, and then restitch.

Or do you mean something else?

Russ
03-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
So I have established they do not come off easily!?
03-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah the triangle rings on the k5 - nothing on black rapid.

So finger nails is the answer! Not home for couple of days so just wanted some tips before I got back to see how easy it is.

03-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They are a bitch to get off but it can be done. I would recommend using a micro flat head screwdriver to pry it open and then feed it through the ring on the camera. I couldn't get it to open with my fingernails and with my big fingers the rings are pretty tiny to operate with.
03-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

They come off easily enough - no different than working with a key ring.

But, I must confess - my Fuji X10 came with a little plastic tool for just this reason - works great!

03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well I did a quick test an came off easily enough!

Now got to decide if I want to go black rapid or optech. Slightly concerned as have read some reports that the black rapid clip can scratch the bottom of the camera. I guess that depends how you store it.
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Now got to decide if I want to go black rapid or optech. Slightly concerned as have read some reports that the black rapid clip can scratch the bottom of the camera. I guess that depends how you store it.
There was no choice for me as I have an arca-swiss plate on my camera all the time as I use a tripod most of the time. And more of a personal opinion, but I trust the strap lugs more than the tripod mount - the tripod mount is meant to be used with the camera in a vertical position - not upside down hanging from it.......
03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
There was no choice for me as I have an arca-swiss plate on my camera all the time as I use a tripod most of the time. And more of a personal opinion, but I trust the strap lugs more than the tripod mount - the tripod mount is meant to be used with the camera in a vertical position - not upside down hanging from it.......
I have the Manfrotto hexagons attached to all the camera bodies and the bigger lenses all the time. I would never start swapping those with a strap, that's screwed into the tripod socket, too. Not an option for tripod users...

Ben
11-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #13

Old thread I know, but why would you want to remove the clips as they are not in the way at all. I have a Black Rapid too, and currently looking at options to use still use the original strap especially when using a tripod.
11-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I removed the d-rings from my K-5 and K-3. I don't like neck straps, so they were just going to cause wear. They are fiddly, but not too difficult to remove.

Last edited by wizofoz; 11-22-2013 at 11:55 PM.
11-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm a big believer in the Op/Tech system. I love that they are interchangeable because all the quick disconnects are the same and don't take up the tripod mount (the thought of it unknowingly wiggling loose and then dropping to the ground scares the crap out of me). At first I was concerned with the Op/Tech because it looks weak, but I promise you those fears are gone now!

Top: Pentax K-30 + DA*16-50 on Op/Tech Backpack/Reporter
Bottom: Pentax K-5 + Grip + DA* 60-250 on Op/Tech Sling Strap.

And the best part is that they are cheap!

-Heie