Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I have the da* 16-50 and 50-135 for weddings is use the 50-135 for a couple of shots, the 16-50 i use all day. I very rarely go above 30mm, maybe thats just my style, but most venues I work in are just to small to use the 50-135mm.

04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photographer our daughter selected for her wedding was using Nikon's 24-70/2.8 for most of the posed shots and 70-200/2.8 for essentially everything at the reception. Body was a FF (D4).
04-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I photographed this Bar Mitzvah which in some respects is a simlar process. I used my Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 and my DA* 50-135mm and they were great for that. Now that I have my DA* 16-50mm I would use that instead of my Sigma.
John Rudolph Photography
04-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #19

Original Poster
Was wondering if I could have just the one wide ranged telephoto that has wider capability such as 18-135mm or 18-200mm f2.8?

04-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #20

For wedding work my 50-135 rarely comes off my camera - the 16-45 was a good cheap better than kit wide angle but I now have 16-50 Pentax and 17-50 Sigma (impulse buy) and actually having both wide angle lenses is good - one is fast to focus and one isnt but its WR (and a much sexier looking DA*)

I did also use the Sigma 70-200 for a few weeks but found it a little too big for my liking but a very nice lens none the less if you can manage the size/weight Id get one over the 50-135
04-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #21

Original Poster
Wide range

Instead of buying the two lenses I wondered if there was one lens from say 18mm to say 135mm, f2.8 that would suffice than buying two expensive lenses…?

Any recommendations would be welcome....

)
04-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

If you can use flash then something like the 18-135 maybe used, but in Pentax mount I don't know of a 2.8 constant zoom that goes from wide angle to medium telephoto.
If you want the subject isolation and no flash - low light abilities of a 2.8 you will need to get two lenses to cover the range.
A possible compromise is the Tamron 28-75 2.8 if you don't need as wide or as long.
It is a nice lens with good image quality.
In a quiet church you will want to use manual focus as it can be audible when auto focusing.
04-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Site Supporter

If you have been engaged to shoot someone's wedding professionally, I would hope you were already on top of this sort of stuff.
If you are using a Pentax APS-C DSLR, you need *at the very least* a 16/17-50 zoom and a 50-135 or 70-200 zoom. Both f/2.8 and SDM/HSM. You should have a couple of good quality fast primes for low light and in case the zooms fail you. Two bodies. Lots of SD cards. Maybe an assistant.
If you are a guest, and just shooting back-up shots as a favour, relax and use whatever you want.

04-30-2013, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
Wedding Equipment

I am entering the world of wedding photography as a beginner and am using this forum to get some useful pointers with respect to building up my equipment. I have not shot any weddings as a pro as such yet but hope to do so in the future. I am not aware of the whole plethora of options open to me lens wise for my Pentax K5II hence my post as they are very expensive lenses. Cutting comments are not helpful such as 'I would hope you were already on top of this sort of stuff.' I only appreciate constructive points or nothing at all.
All the professionals on this forum must have started somewhere so I expect a little bit of understanding…)
04-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #25
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It is important to do your research prior to any paid assignment. There are no 18-135 fixed f/2.8 aperture zooms since constructing one such lens would be both impractically large as well as unlikely to have the IQ to match the existing 16-50/17-50/18-50 and 50-135/70-200 lenses. So you will be looking at a 2 lens set up for weddings at least. f/2.8 would be a minimum capability you should have, and typically this would mean a lens each on separate bodies as switching lenses is impractical in the midst of such a dynamic event as a wedding is. Flashes, reflectors, light stands, diffusers - all of these things are also important considerations for good wedding photography execution. Good luck with your assignment.
04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #26

Original Poster
Wedding Equipment

This was meant to be one of my areas of research. Thanks for all advice - I appreciate it all… I have all the other equipment - just needed advice on the lenses…
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
B&H article on wide-angle lens for wedding

Appropriate to this discussion, I suggest reading the B&H article just posted a few minutes ago. Here arguments are made for including wide angle lens in the wedding photographer's kit of lenses. Actually, I agree with many of the points in the article, and find it very helpful to be able to take some quick shots of busy receptions, after wedding dinners, and the like with a very wide angle--like the Pentax 10-17 fisheye. A few fisheye special shots of various areas can also add an interesting element to a wedding album--interior of the church or wedding area, interior of reception hall or restaurant, and even some silly up-close big-nose photos of the groom (if not the beautiful bride) in the pre-nuptial photographs.

Here is the reference: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/buying-guides/bh-wedding-gui...e-angle-lenses

Last edited by ivanvernon; 04-30-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: forgot something
04-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sofiab66 Quote
I am entering the world of wedding photography as a beginner and am using this forum to get some useful pointers with respect to building up my equipment. I have not shot any weddings as a pro as such yet but hope to do so in the future. I am not aware of the whole plethora of options open to me lens wise for my Pentax K5II hence my post as they are very expensive lenses. Cutting comments are not helpful such as 'I would hope you were already on top of this sort of stuff.' I only appreciate constructive points or nothing at all.
All the professionals on this forum must have started somewhere so I expect a little bit of understanding…)
Sophia, I think what some here are implying is there is a plethora of information published on the internet about recommended wedding photography equipment. Wouldn't it make sense to read up on some of these things first and then ask questions for better understanding?
04-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Sophia, I think what some here are implying is there is a plethora of information published on the internet about recommended wedding photography equipment. Wouldn't it make sense to read up on some of these things first and then ask questions for better understanding?
I doubt it - the OP is asking a Pentax specific question on a Pentax specific forum about a a specific group of lenses - not a basic question like what equipment do I need to shoot a wedding!
05-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Appropriate to this discussion, I suggest reading the B&H article just posted a few minutes ago. Here arguments are made for including wide angle lens in the wedding photographer's kit of lenses. Actually, I agree with many of the points in the article, and find it very helpful to be able to take some quick shots of busy receptions, after wedding dinners, and the like with a very wide angle--like the Pentax 10-17 fisheye. A few fisheye special shots of various areas can also add an interesting element to a wedding album--interior of the church or wedding area, interior of reception hall or restaurant, and even some silly up-close big-nose photos of the groom (if not the beautiful bride) in the pre-nuptial photographs.

Here is the reference: B&H Wedding Guide: Wide-Angle Lenses | BH inDepth
What a pity they got the crop factors mixed up in the first few photographs. Canon APS-C is not 1.5x and DX is not 1.3x. I hope the rest of the info is reliable.