Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #31

Original Poster
Many thanks for all of you who have posted suggestions for my initial query regarding wedding lenses. It has been invaluable…

I have, in the end, gone for the Pentax DA 50-135mm f2.8 but the other choice has led me to a dilemma: Either the telephoto Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or primes such as the Pentax SMC DA 35mm f2.4 or the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

Would I need to dip below 30mm at a venue in reality? I know it depends on the venue size... Any long and established wedding shooters opinion would be good…)

07-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sofiab66 Quote
This was meant to be one of my areas of research. Thanks for all advice - I appreciate it all… I have all the other equipment - just needed advice on the lenses…
I wouldn't get hung up on the cutting remarks.

As in almost all 'photo' forums there a many 'web pros' who have never been withing a 1000miles of a paid gig but like to pretend there experience is vast whilst sat on the back of a keyboard.

Generally you'll find real pro's more than happy to offer advice.

Personally in APs-C for Wedding use I think you'd be hard pressed to better the 16-50 50-135 combo.

A fast portrait lens would be handy the da*55 leaps to mind.

If you want to differentiate yourself in a competitive world then prime only might give you an edge in which case

da15mm
da40,da*55 or fa43
da70 or fa77
and a da* 60-250/50-135

I'm no pro but do sell 500-1000 images a year with all profits to charity
07-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sofiab66 Quote
Many thanks for all of you who have posted suggestions for my initial query regarding wedding lenses. It has been invaluable…

I have, in the end, gone for the Pentax DA 50-135mm f2.8 but the other choice has led me to a dilemma: Either the telephoto Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or primes such as the Pentax SMC DA 35mm f2.4 or the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

Would I need to dip below 30mm at a venue in reality? I know it depends on the venue size... Any long and established wedding shooters opinion would be good…)
So, yes, you will need to get below 30mm. Couples will expect a wide shot of them in the church and when you are in a cathedral, then you are looking at wider than 30. You can get away with using a 18-55mm kit lens and a tripod for the first few events, but you will really need to invest in the 16-50 f/2.8 at some point.

As I said before, you also need something at 1.4 or near it. I started with the fa50 f/1.4. It is autofocus and the 1.4 is important for some churches that do not permit the use of flash. The sigma 30 f/1.4 would also work, but a prime like this is a must before your first event.

I would say that beginning wedding photographers (with beginner prices) must have a minimum of 2 camera bodies, a good flash that preferably bounces and swivels, a wide zoom 18-55, 16-50) and preferably with a fixed aperture, a longer zoom 50-135, 50-200) preferably with a fixed aperture, and a fast prime (must have lowest aperture below 2.8). Once you are more experienced and want to charge more, you will need to get an ultra wide (I would recommend the 10-17 fisheye because the effect is actually desired and works well for weddings), a longer telephoto (200 or 300 prime, or the 60-250 f/4 which was my choice), a macro lens for detail shots, and some primes. You can see my signature - all of those lenses got with me to every wedding because I need to be prepared for any situation when people are paying me a couple thousand dollars for my photographs.
07-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #34

I just ordered a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM for a wedding i'm doing in a couple of weeks where the venue is not that large. I also have a Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM should I need it, and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM for golden hour outdoor shots (country club, bridge over a lake type stuff). I also have a Tamron 18-200 3.5-6.3 that's my day to day workhorse, but I didn't want to miss shots adjusting exposures across the zoom range while indoors.

All are autofocus. I have some old glass manual primes, but they aren't coming with me. I might bring the 8mm fish eye for fun though

Anyhow, the 17-50mm is supposed to arrive Monday which will give me a couple weeks to practice with it.

07-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
I just ordered a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM for a wedding i'm doing in a couple of weeks where the venue is not that large. I also have a Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM should I need it, and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM for golden hour outdoor shots (country club, bridge over a lake type stuff). I also have a Tamron 18-200 3.5-6.3 that's my day to day workhorse, but I didn't want to miss shots adjusting exposures across the zoom range while indoors.

All are autofocus. I have some old glass manual primes, but they aren't coming with me. I might bring the 8mm fish eye for fun though

Anyhow, the 17-50mm is supposed to arrive Monday which will give me a couple weeks to practice with it.
Great! I would recommend that you practice switching lenses on the fly. If you think about the pacing of a wedding, there are time when you can switch a lens and not miss a thing. You might not be able to use the 18-200 indoors if the ceremony venue is dark and you can't use flash. Plus, the 17-50 and the 70-200 will give the better quality images that you are looking for. The trade off for the convince of the range of the 18-200 is usually not having fixed aperture and losing some of that pop off the page wow factor.