Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5ii review at Digitalcamerareview.com

Digitialcamerareview.com just posted an elogious review of the K-5II:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newreview=pentax+k+5+II+DSLR

"the K-5II offers a lot of top end features at a price well below the top offerings from Canon, Nikon or Sony"
"the K-5II is a nice camera and the logical next step for an entry-level Pentax DSLR owner seeking to move up in performance"

Rating: 4.5/5

The review is a review of the K-5ii. The K-5iis was not tested, as far as I read it.

Interestingly (IMO), this review has two worthwhile features: (1) the review was performed concurently to the review fo the K-30, and (2) several lenses were systematically tested with both cameras: DA18-55mm, DA18-135mm, FA31mm, DFA100mm. This is very interesting (IMHO) because most (generic) camera reviews only consider a kit lens.

Food for thoughts....

Edit: update link - Thanks Docrwm

Last edited by hcc; 03-23-2013 at 07:42 AM.
03-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up. Your link is to a revolving series of top items on their site - this link is directly to the review of the K-5ii
Pentax K-5II Review: A Praiseworthy Challenger

The Cons were interesting. Can't argue about the first 3, the 4th is arguable, but the 5th is just not an issue IMHO (and I'm 6'3").
Cons
    • No continuous autofocus in video mode
    • Live view/video a bit slow to initiate following selection of video mode
    • Video clip length in full HD video less than six minutes
    • Shooting mode dial lock button/turning a bit awkward
    • Might be too small for large hands
03-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I have never shot a video in my life... and don't plan on it. But some odd situation may arise where I need it. I bought my camera to take pictures with
03-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have never shot a video in my life... and don't plan on it. But some odd situation may arise where I need it. I bought my camera to take pictures with
I've shot a video or two with my K-5, I have two children. But I am not a videographer and so the limitations that are cited in the review are really quite meaningless to me. On the autofocus issue I just try for hyperfocus and hope.

03-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Cons
    • Shooting mode dial lock button/turning a bit awkward
The funny thing about this "Con" is that actually Canon considers this a feature or an upgrade since they charge $100 to install it in a 7D and 5DMII. Some reviewers are still listing this as a Con, I really don't see why! Well maybe just because it's Pentax.

Canon Product Advisory - Mode Dial Lock upgrade
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

I don't claim to know much, if anything, about "Digital Camera Review" but, I believe that "Digital Photography Review" is one of the more popular, visited sites worldwide. Within that site is a "Forums" tab and one can find a forum for Pentax DSLRs. (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51163316) One of the glaring problems with the site - and with Pentax's market share - is that there hasn't been a complete review of either the K-5II or the IIs. (Comparison images, yes; detailed review, no.) One can pass that off to them being similar to the K5 yet, Nikon releases the AA-absent 7100 and they're all over it within hours of the press release. I have a K-5IIs and have been a loyal consumer of Pentax products since my first camera, the Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F. Yet, I'm afraid that unless Pentax does something remarkable and newsworthy very soon, they won't have to worry about having their products reviewed because (sadly) there won't be any TO review.
03-26-2013, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
[*]Shooting mode dial lock button/turning a bit awkward
For me, the lock was a welcomed addition at first since I'd had many situations where the mode dial was moved accidentally while being carried in a bag. It is a bit fiddly though, and does defeat the purpose of the mode dial to some extent though as keeping the button depressed while changing modes is awkward and the mode dial is meant to make this changing modes easy and quick. A simple solution would be to make the button a click on click off type so the user could choose between locked and unlocked as circumstances dictate.

Scott
03-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
For me, the lock was a welcomed addition at first since I'd had many situations where the mode dial was moved accidentally while being carried in a bag. It is a bit fiddly though, and does defeat the purpose of the mode dial to some extent though as keeping the button depressed while changing modes is awkward and the mode dial is meant to make this changing modes easy and quick. A simple solution would be to make the button a click on click off type so the user could choose between locked and unlocked as circumstances dictate.

Scott
Scott,
I agree it was a welcome addition. I'm no Pentax Hymn singer, that's for sure, but I do not find it fiddly at all. I know everyone's experience is different but I genuinely appreciate it on nearly every outing.

03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I shoot outdoors a lot in winter and I fine the lock button on the mode dial annoying since it requires me to remove my gloves. That said, I don't change modes a lot but I still prefer the K10D for outside winter shooting as I can do almost everything with gloves on.