Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Full confidence in K5IIs - I'm leaving the [5DIII] Canon gear home"

Apologies if this has been posted before, but Ed at photouniverse has a very interesting comparison of the K-5iis Pentax vs 5DII/III Canon systems.

In summary: large landscape prints (16x24 in / 41x61 cm) are a tough test of resolution. Ed can't find discernable differences between prints produced by the Pentax K-5iis and Canon 5DII/III, and shows you how to put together a high IQ Pentax system that costs $5000 less than the Canon system.

Last edited by Gray; 03-24-2013 at 07:18 PM.
03-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He's got a point. FF's biggest advantage, after all, is low noise, not necessarily high resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

I think that is something that many people who have tried cameras such as the K5 and K5IIs have came to discover. These really are amazing cameras. I myself left a Nikon D700 (awesome camera) and a D3s for Pentax after using a K5 and becoming addicted to it's feel and lenses. That being said, they are different and I only chose to switch because I did not need the benefits of the said Nikons often enough to continue lugging them around while enjoying them less. If I were an action or wildlife photographer, I probably would not have switched. Sometimes I strongly miss my D700 as it was one of the best cameras I have ever used. I still come into instances in which I must rent a D4 because I simply cannot expect the same fast and dead-lock autofocusing or amazing low-light performance from my K5IIs. They are just different cameras. The Pentax cameras are much more enjoyable to use, however, and for 90 something percent of my work, they are perfect. I do miss the depth of field benefits, but hopefully that will soon be remedied. For now, if I know I will be needing super shallow depth of field, I can rent a 645d for about the same as the D4.

Basically, I understand what the gentleman in the video means, but there are definitely times when a 5D series, 1D series, D800 or D4 is much more beneficial. It is good to see Pentax getting acknowledged for their great performance though. And, if Pentax does make the elusive FF DSLR and upgrade the 645d, I hope they can start inflicting some damage to Canon and Nikon professional sales!
03-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Good video, i like the guy.

Interestingly, since he talks about hard-core sports use, I preferred my K5 (original series) over the 7D that I bought for sports. So i sold the canon. On paper, for that purpose, it seems like a crazy decision. But i just couldn't find any definitive advantages to the Canon given how i go about things. and i think thats the biggest issue. people have different techniques, different usage patterns, different aims and so various technologies might offer benefits to some and not others. Of course, a 1-series might be a different matter altogether. But i could by several k5's for a 1-series purchase, and for a "budget pro" kit, that price difference by definition has to be a definitive factor.

I'll also state that for sports, Sigma is my best friend. the bigma and 150-500 offer us a lifeline to the long end. without them, i couldn't use Pentax how i like to use it.

03-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
He's got a point.
Well, I don't know this guy personally, and I've got nothing against him but, based on his YouTube appearances, including this one, he does seem to handle his photo gear of choice with almost religious passion. So perhaps a nice pinchful of salt is recommended here, too.
Again, nothing wrong with his enthusiast contributions per se, though.

QuoteQuote:
FF's biggest advantage, after all, is low noise, not necessarily high resolution.
Lover noise, higher resolution, better dynamic range, an option for a better OVF, more wideangle lenses, even fisheye lenses have double digit focal lengths, etc.

That is, in general. Not dissing APS cameras or the K5 IIs here. No doubt it's a very nice camera, which is giving a good bang for the buck. Perhaps more so than the pricey FF Canon. It's just that these online videos should not be taken too seriously, let alone literally.
03-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EchoOscar Quote
Lover noise, higher resolution, better dynamic range, an option for a better OVF, more wideangle lenses, even fisheye lenses have double digit focal lengths, etc.

That is, in general. Not dissing APS cameras or the K5 IIs here. No doubt it's a very nice camera, which is giving a good bang for the buck. Perhaps more so than the pricey FF Canon. It's just that these online videos should not be taken too seriously, let alone literally.
No argument about FF advantage there. My personal problem/observation is that most of the people (primarily hobbyists) just hear what is the 'best' and don't consider what is 'practical'. This video mostly addresses the later and honest I don't think there's ever enough talk about it.
03-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Those photouniverse videos from Ed were one of the reasons to switch from canon to pentax ... I'm amateur with some passion and shooting whenever I can for 6-7 years now. I was shooting 5 and a half years with canon 350D with kit 18-55 II it's a great camera. I can understand Ed who is professional photographer for I think 38 years or something like that. I can understand that he's almost religious about Pentax but also someone who watched all his videos will see that he still has 5D MIII if needed. I have K5 for a month ... I love it have "only" kits but they are shart and nice as often said decent preformers ...

03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
He's got a point. FF's biggest advantage, after all, is low noise, not necessarily high resolution.
This certainly agrees with the recent edition of Outdoor Photographer, that states that landscapers very often don't need a lot of high iso, low noise performance. So the APS C does not give up much to the full frame if ISO is not required.

As for the video, I couldn't watch it all the way through. I'm glad he likes Pentax - I do too - but this guy rambled a lot. Pentax offers a huge value, IMHO. I now mostly really want a Mad Bomber hat; not much use for it in Houston, though. HBA (Hat Buying Addiction)
03-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

He makes a lousy speaker....not sure how good a photographer he is...
03-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
He makes a lousy speaker....not sure how good a photographer he is...
Judge for yourself...

Pbase.com/edwardthomas

As for the speaking skills, no comment. (I would criticize the video quality, if asked what I want to improve. But it is what it is.)
03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EchoOscar Quote

I just think that so much of the difference between full frame and APS-C are more about choices in sensors and options that the camera companies choose to put in their cameras. So, the K5 II has more dynamic range at base iso than the 5D III has at base iso. Even the D800, current reigning dynamic range champion, barely edges out the K5 sensor with regard to dynamic range. As to auto focus capability, this, once again, has to do with brands deliberately crippling APS-C cameras to get folks to buy full frame (and the requisite full frame lenses).

The biggest differences are improvement in high iso (about a stop), resolution, and viewfinder. Wide angle with narrow depth of field is also not an option with APS-C.
03-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Interesting comments.
if you're gonna watch that video, you can skip the first 4-1/2 minutes or so of wasted space. He rambles quite a bit before he says anything meaningful.
04-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Ahhhhh......tough crowd
04-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hypervel Quote
Ahhhhh......tough crowd
Seriously... You would think they had to pay to watch it!

Stay tuned for the upcoming "I sold all the Canon gear because after careful scrutiny, it didn't add anything meaningful to the party considering the size/weight/cost penalties..." video.

Or another title could be: "The Pentax K-5 IIs just really is THAT good." (For what I need/do.)
04-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
Inactive Account

@Qwntm I'm lurking on youtube waiting for new video maybe you could make some roadmap . Very good stuff indeed, also if requests are permitted (even if they are not ) ... I would like to hear more about techniques, full simple / begginers things from your perspective, I liked one about using flash on weddings; simple but very clear on using brain when you shot. I know ultimately as many stated best school is pressing the trigger .. but still to know what to look at, and think about what you do is necessary.