Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #16

Yeah, even the Pentax grip can be finicky. I can only imagine what a 3rd party grip would be like. I don't think it was the same issue you describe, but I did have some weirdness when I was using the grip, and the camera was set for auto battery selection mode. Decided that the best use of the grip for the battery was storage..

04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #17

An update from my end: Pentax service in Chandler, Arizona, couldn't replicate the problem until they put the camera in the fridge overnight, then sure enough, it froze up the next morning during testing. They are replacing the camera.
04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JBWPhoto Quote
An update from my end: Pentax service in Chandler, Arizona, couldn't replicate the problem until they put the camera in the fridge overnight, then sure enough, it froze up the next morning during testing. They are replacing the camera.
with al due respect: Lucky bastard! haha glad you got covered..
04-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Using a 3rd party grip? They have a record of contributing to camera body problems.
No, it's a original Pentax. The batteries are Wasabi. So far, the shutter gremlins have left the camera. I've put it in the refrigerator, freezer and outside. It works perfectly. I can only assure removing the grip and batteries and reassembling did something to fix it. I still can't figure it out. The good thing is, the weather is forecast at least over 40F for race day. I'm happy about that. If it rains, no problem...it's a Pentax!!
FYI- my second K5 has a aftermarket grip that has performed flawlessly with my Tamron 70-200mm.

03-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to revive this thread. I have the EXACT same problem. What did CRIS do to rectify it???? My camera is out of warranty and their last repair caused this problem to start. Not very happy right now.
03-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #21

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. They replaced the camera entirely. I don't recall what they told me the actual problem was, but it was definitely sensor-related.

If you think it would help, I could try to find the ticket number.

Jay