Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 down res - what does the camera do?

The K5 has some resolution options that are less than 16 MP. Do you know what the camera does to obtain a file with 10 MP, or 6 MP? Does it turn off some pixels and use only the remainder? Or, does it take all 16 MP, and then "combine" some of them? Do you know? Also, if I set the K5 to 6 MP, how would the 6 MP IQ compare to the 6 MP IQ of my old K100dS?

Additional thought, since I have both cameras, I guess I could do that test myself - take some pictures and pixel peep. How would you do it? I'm thinking static subject, tripod, same lens, same conditions, etc. But the cameras are not the same, processors are not the same.

03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It uses all of the pixels and scales the image. The algorithm that the camera uses is probably not going to be as good as the ones available in photoshop, as there are many types of scaling/interpolation algorithms, all of which are good at different things.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. Pretty much as I'd thought. I appreciate the reply and info. Maybe as I get time I'll do the comparisons I mentioned.

Glenn