Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need "dust spot" ID please!

My K5 has decided to get a couple of "dust spots".
I could get rid of one but there is a stubborn one still there (see picture).

1. it is there even when I change lens.
2. I used the Rocket Blower on the mirror and screen
3. used the blower too on the sensor !! (it's ok, not any worse).

Can you tell if this spot is on the sensor?
It is right smack in the top - middle of the image below.

Thanks!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 10-16-2015 at 05:40 PM.
03-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Forum Member

could be an actual spot on the sensor, maybe from moisture. You'll need to swab it with a cleaning kit. It would be at the bottom of your sensor as the image is inverted.
03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by callmeraymon Quote
could be an actual spot on the sensor, maybe from moisture. You'll need to swab it with a cleaning kit. It would be at the bottom of your sensor as the image is inverted.
Thanks for the response!

OK, so I'll have to try the Rocket Blower again before I decide to "touch" the sensor.
I am extremely reluctant to do anything that would make things worse, knowing myself and electronics: often not very compatible!

I did get rid of one larger spot at the bottom right but this one is "stuck" there.

JP
03-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

The shape of this one tells me it cannot be removed with a blower.

(In fact not much can be removed with a blower and if you succeed in removing some loose dust with the blower (which is possible) it will only be temporary and it will be back later.)

What you have is some organic matter (pollen perhaps?) which with humidity has fused itself onto the AA glass filter and has "bloomed" into this nice round shape. It can only be removed with a wet cleaning procedure.

Do not be afraid, the AA filter is pretty tough and is not easily damaged (scratched) unless you are determined to do it with abrasive stuff. I have actually never seen a scratched filter surface

On the forum here are many reports claiming "I have scratched the sensor" only to turn out that is was a smear.

The forum here is full of advice how to wet clean, search for it. I have posted many on this topic.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-28-2013 at 11:57 PM.
03-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #5

I use an Arctic Butterfly from Visible Dust and find it dose a brilliant job.
Arctic Butterfly sensor brush. Sensor cleaning, remove dust.

Mike.
03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devem Quote

Mike.
Hi Mike

They are indeed very good because unlike a blower they actually remove the dust so it is not blown around inside the mirror chamber with its many nooks and crannies where the dust can/will get stuck to re-appear at a later stage. Therefore removal is the best medicine.

However this particular foreign matter as it presents itself here is of such a nature that I am almost certain the butterfly wont do. A wet clean is called for I am as certain as I can be without inspecting it with a sensor loupe.

I have cleaned upteen sensors, my own as well of my professional friends, and I think I know a bit about it (even if I say so myself "self praise is nee onna' as my Scottish aunt used to say).

I have developed my own wet cleaning method which costs a fraction of what you purchase commercially and it works as well if not better.

When I have a spare moment I might write it up and post it here. In the meantime you can search all my previous posts about sensor cleaning.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.
03-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #7

Hi, I was just pointing out that there were other possible options that might work before going down a route that I for one would not have the confidence or knowledge to undertake. I worry about touching my lenses with fluid never mind the sensor, so far I have been lucky, I must have only had the 99% of dust particles because it has always worked. It would be good if you made a YouTube video and sent us the link, I must say that since I have had the K5 dust has not been a big problem, when I have had dust in there, its own dust removal system has worked 90% of the time.
Mike.
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

The shape of this one tells me it cannot be removed with a blower.

(In fact not much can be removed with a blower and if you succeed in removing some loose dust with the blower (which is possible) it will only be temporary and it will be back later.)

What you have is some organic matter (pollen perhaps?) which with humidity has fused itself onto the AA glass filter and has "bloomed" into this nice round shape. It can only be removed with a wet cleaning procedure.

Do not be afraid, the AA filter is pretty tough and is not easily damaged (scratched) unless you are determined to do it with abrasive stuff. I have actually never seen a scratched filter surface

On the forum here are many reports claiming "I have scratched the sensor" only to turn out that is was a smear.

The forum here is full of advice how to wet clean, search for it. I have posted many on this topic.

Greetings
It does look indeed like a "wet" type of spot (organic you said).
I don't have the proper kit for that and I am very relunctant to even order a kit and try the cleaning myself.
But that could well be what I will have to do since the closest "camera pro" for such thins is 200 km away!!

QuoteOriginally posted by devem Quote

Mike.
Thanks for the info ... it also looks interesting to consider.

04-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
It does look indeed like a "wet" type of spot (organic you said).
I don't have the proper kit for that and I am very relunctant to even order a kit and try the cleaning myself.
But that could well be what I will have to do since the closest "camera pro" for such thins is 200 km away!!

Thanks for the info ... it also looks interesting to consider.
Hi

I have written in previous posts about this.
Please look here: (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/176442-stubborn-dust.html) and read post No. 6 and 10. I know from feedback where a number of people have used this method and have been successful.

It is actually not easy to damage the sensor if you just go sensibly about it and distilled water will most definitely not harm the sensor or its AA filter as long as you don't drown it, but you would not do that - would you.

Greetings

04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi

I have written in previous posts about this.
Please look here: (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/176442-stubborn-dust.html) and read post No. 6 and 10. I know from feedback where a number of people have used this method and have been successful.

It is actually not easy to damage the sensor if you just go sensibly about it and distilled water will most definitely not harm the sensor or its AA filter as long as you don't drown it, but you would not do that - would you.

Greetings

Thanks again for the reply.

So, I've browsed this site such as you suggested and came up with dozens of "ideas" about wet cleaning the sensor.
It is disconcerting to see that everyone has some success with their personal technique.

Now about your method: in some posts you mention the use of 100% ethanol .... not sure if I could get this here.
And distilled water: no problem to get that if that is all it would take.
What sort of "wipe" tool do you use to clean the sensor with the distilled water?

JP
04-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks again for the reply.

So, I've browsed this site such as you suggested and came up with dozens of "ideas" about wet cleaning the sensor.
It is disconcerting to see that everyone has some success with their personal technique.

Now about your method: in some posts you mention the use of 100% ethanol .... not sure if I could get this here.
And distilled water: no problem to get that if that is all it would take.
What sort of "wipe" tool do you use to clean the sensor with the distilled water?

JP
Hi
You should be able to get Ethanol from your local Chemist Store (Where you buy your pills and medicine. I think in your part of the world they are called Drug Stores) The resident chemist there uses it to make up all sorts of stuff (like ointments and such) In Australia every chemist store has a big bottle of it on the shelf. My chemist gave it to me for free because it was such a small amount I wanted. He decanted some into a medically clean 10ml brown eye dropper bottle which should also be available from any drug store. I had to pay him for the bottle though a total of $2.00.

I use old plastic sensor cleaning swaps from which I remove the spent fabric. I purchased a packet of micro fibre cloth, cut strips in the width of the plastic swab blade, drape it over the blade and hold it together with the handle on either side between my thumb and index finger. This way you can shift one end of the strip up a bit very quickly and have a fresh piece of the cloth ready to swipe. I use this method with either Ethanol or distilled water. But make sure you don't down the sensor, it is not a case of more is better. The cloth should be well moistened but not dripping.

The whole thing is dead easy. I must say though, a sensor loupe is a must for me.

I hope everything is as clear as mud now

Greetings

DUST-AID : Sensor Cleaning Products for DSLR Cameras
04-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi
You should be able to get Ethanol from your local Chemist Store (Where you buy your pills and medicine. I think in your part of the world they are called Drug Stores) The resident chemist there uses it to make up all sorts of stuff (like ointments and such) In Australia every chemist store has a big bottle of it on the shelf. My chemist gave it to me for free because it was such a small amount I wanted. He decanted some into a medically clean 10ml brown eye dropper bottle which should also be available from any drug store. I had to pay him for the bottle though a total of $2.00.

I use old plastic sensor cleaning swaps from which I remove the spent fabric. I purchased a packet of micro fibre cloth, cut strips in the width of the plastic swab blade, drape it over the blade and hold it together with the handle on either side between my thumb and index finger. This way you can shift one end of the strip up a bit very quickly and have a fresh piece of the cloth ready to swipe. I use this method with either Ethanol or distilled water. But make sure you don't down the sensor, it is not a case of more is better. The cloth should be well moistened but not dripping.

The whole thing is dead easy. I must say though, a sensor loupe is a must for me.

I hope everything is as clear as mud now

Greetings

DUST-AID : Sensor Cleaning Products for DSLR Cameras
That should wrap it up !

I'll give it a go and if all goes well, I won't have to ship the camera far away for cleaning.

Cheers.

JP