Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

Want examples of 2nd owners (K5IIs) recieving warranty work using the Gift Option

My K5IIs is showing a black screen after shooting a photo and the EXIF info is available. Yes, the lens cap is off and I made sure the SD card is ok, slider is in proper position. I removed the lens and shot a photo with a slow shutter speed and it still shows a black image. I assume it is a sensor fault as I have read other threads on this topic.

I am the 2nd owner and I have the original receipt dated 2-4-2013 from a Pentax distributor, but the camera still has not been registered. My concern: Is it best to tell Pentax that it was a gift? Does Pentax go into specifics on the gift option? Has anyone actually obtained warranty work as a 2nd owner using the gift option? The original owner is still in contact with me and says he'll stand behind me no matter what. From what I have read on previous threads, I don't want to tell Pentax I bought it used. The only other choice might be asking the original owner to mail it in for me as he is a few hundred miles away, but would rather not ask.

How safe is attempting to use the gift option? Any other suggestions??

03-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is Pentax's Warranty Statement in the US. There is no limitation on transferability in the US as far as I can tell. You send it to CRIS in Arizona for Warranty Support. I do know they wanted a receipt as proof of purchase date when I had some work done earlier this year.
K10D, K20D, K100D, K100D Super, K110D, K200D, K2000, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7, K-M, K-r, K-X are all currently supported cameras. Email: customerservice@criscam.com or call
877-269-7179

PENTAX products originally distributed by PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202, have a limited One-Year Warranty starting from the date of purchase. This limited warranty covers any defects in original factory materials and workmanship. If your PENTAX product malfunctions due to such a defect within this one-year period, PENTAX Imaging Company will repair it at no charge within a reasonable amount of time. This warranty does not cover any damage caused to the product, including, but not limited to: impact, moisture, liquid, sand, excessive temperature, battery leakage, chemical corrosion, mishandling, operation contrary to operating instructions, tampering, modification, or servicing by an unauthorized repair shop. PENTAX shall not be liable for any consequential or incidental damages, such as memory cards, batteries, travel expenses, loss of time, etc. This warranty only applies to PENTAX photographic equipment originally distributed in the United States by PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202
03-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Docrwm. My concern is when I mail in the camera and receipt to CRIS, won't they be suspicious when my name does not match the name on the original receipt? I thought this one through. Perhaps I don't put a name on my return address....when it comes back to me will CRIS put the original owners name on the package? Won't I eventually have to show my ID to pick it up at the post office, say if I am not home when the delivery person stops by my place?
03-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Doc noted there does not seem to be any limitation on transferability. Why don't you call CRIS and ask them if it is a problem. Call from a payphone and tell them you are Clark Kent if you think that is necessary. I do remember others reporting they sent something in under warranty and were not original owners. But CRIS can tell you the straight facts and then you do not have to worry.

Just a question, you did not mention if you checked the image on a computer to see if the camera recorded anything. If you haven't you might want to test things a little before sending it off. It might be something simple.

03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
I like the way you think jatrax! I will certainly use another phone and name to remain anonymous. If I wind up spending $350+ on repairs on a camera I saved $200 mon would be disappointing

I did view the images I took today on a computer to be sure and they are all black. I did not notice anything significant to me or unusual about the metadata besides the file size of a 16mp jpeg was only 2.3mb. Would it help to post the data for someone to see?
03-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by primo Quote
Would it help to post the data for someone to see?
Can't guarantee it will help, but it cannot hurt. Maybe someone will notice something. Just hate to see you send it in and be without for few weeks if it is just something set wrong. Doubt that it is but never hurts to check. Just make sure to post all the exif data don't strip it out.
03-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Here is the metadata using Fast Stone Image Viewer

Attached Images

03-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried pulling it into photoshop or some other editing software and jacking up the levels to see if you're getting any kind of information? What are you shooting? I'd think you'd get something with your settings but maybe kick the iso up to 1600 or above and see if you're still getting black. Just my thoughts.
03-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what lens is this? It might not mean much but "Max Aperture F 1" does not seem right. And "Focal Length 15mm" plus "F Number 2.8", I don't know what lens that would be.

It is possible that the lens is not reporting the correct info to the camera and thus the exposure is off.

You might also try to take a couple shots in RAW and see if those come out any different.

And as noted by wafflehaus try one with the ISO cranked way up, 6400 or 12,800 and see if you get anything at all.

And if you have a different lens, try that as well. If not see if you can borrow one or stop by a shop and see if they will let you take a few snaps with one on display.
03-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
I was shooting a head shot of a friend inside a country and western store using a Sigma FE 15mm along with the camera's fish eye filter which all worked fine the day before. I reset all the settings and tried my Sigma 30mm f1.4 and several different SD cards to be sure and the results were the same.

This sample I took this morning was an indoor medium shot of a girl standing in the center of the frame at about 7' using my Sigma 30 at f1.4 with an exposure time of 1/30sec while using a 51200 ISO. The pictures still came out black so I brightened the levels with Adobe CS5 and this was my result. There is some discoloration but it does not seem to match up with the subject I shot.
Attached Images

03-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At this point, I would do a RESET of all camera settings. After that, check that you have the latest firmware and if not, upload that then try again. Best way to check picture-taking function is use P mode, go outside in bright light and take a picture of something within 10 feet of you that will fill the frame.
04-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #12

Original Poster
My call to CRIS went like a dream! A pleasant sounding woman picked up the phone and I told her up front that I had a problem with my K5iis and that I received it as a gift. She said, it's not a problem because it is very new, if you don't have the original receipt, just tell me where it was originally purchased. I told her I have it right here! I'm just so glad I didn't have to go cloak n dagger on CRIS to get the answer I was looking for

So I shipped it to CRIS on Monday the 1st and they received it on Wednesday morning the 3rd. It's almost been a week and I'm growing antsy. Does anyone have and estimations on how long until I get her back? Should I give them a call?
04-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's almost been a week and I'm growing antsy. Does anyone have and estimations on how long until I get her back? Should I give them a call?
I've never sent anything in to CRIS, but from reading other threads I would say anything less than two weeks would be amazing. If they have to get parts from Japan, well I've seen threads that said 6 weeks or more.

I would wait at least 2 weeks before calling, but that's just me.
04-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
At this point, I would do a RESET of all camera settings. After that, check that you have the latest firmware and if not, upload that then try again. Best way to check picture-taking function is use P mode, go outside in bright light and take a picture of something within 10 feet of you that will fill the frame.
jbinpg, believe me, I did extensive testing in all modes and all of the above except install the latest firmware version 1.03. It didn't seem to pertain to my problem. I know it mentions stability bugs and a fix while using AA batteries in the grip, but I do not own a grip. After reading a couple negative comments about v1.03 I chose not to.

Will CRIS tell me specifically what they found was wrong?
04-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My call to CRIS went like a dream! A pleasant sounding woman picked up the phone and I told her up front that I had a problem with my K5iis and that I received it as a gift. She said, it's not a problem because it is very new, if you don't have the original receipt, just tell me where it was originally purchased. I told her I have it right here! I'm just so glad I didn't have to go cloak n dagger on CRIS to get the answer I was looking for

So I shipped it to CRIS on Monday the 1st and they received it on Wednesday morning the 3rd. It's almost been a week and I'm growing antsy. Does anyone have and estimations on how long until I get her back? Should I give them a call?
Wait 2 weeks and then inquire. They did a quick and solid job on my one repair request to them but communication is not their strong suit. Best of luck and very happy to hear it went so well. We have a tenancy to post complaints more quickly then compliments and its always good to hear about a Pentax success, even if it is a warranty repair.