Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
But I think the next real new camera from Pentax will be around $1,700 like the K5 was when IT came out.
I'm not sure Pentax will be able to sell it for that much, not when it'll be competing with the likes of the D7100 which is currently priced to compete with the K5 iis.

I have to admit I am curently torn between a K5iis, D7100 or waiting a few months for the next pentax offering (K3?)

Pat

04-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
K5-iis or D7100, both good bodies. I'd figure out which system has the lenses you want 1st then pick body.
The lenses will end up costing more than the body by the time you've built a system.
04-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #18
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Berlin
Posts: 28
I'm sure the D7100 is great. I own the D7000, it is an awesome body, and getting ridiculously cheap.

But si_film is exactly right, it's all in the lens. Nikon does not offer the lenses I want, so what use is the awesome D7000 to me if I'm forced to stick a piece of glass onto it that I do not want sitting there? So I've bought a K5II.
I did think about waiting for a drop in prices when there is a K3, but a) my D7000 is loosing resale value fast and b) with the K5II already at 920 including the 18-55 WR here, I seriously doubt much is going to happen. Might be different for the IIs, though.
04-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,584
QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
K-5IIs - when to buy?
Is immediately the right answer?

Perhaps that's not helping you any or the answer you want to hear.

04-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by lcts Quote
I'm sure the D7100 is great. I own the D7000, it is an awesome body, and getting ridiculously cheap.

But si_film is exactly right, it's all in the lens. Nikon does not offer the lenses I want, so what use is the awesome D7000 to me if I'm forced to stick a piece of glass onto it that I do not want sitting there? So I've bought a K5II.
I did think about waiting for a drop in prices when there is a K3, but a) my D7000 is loosing resale value fast and b) with the K5II already at 920€ including the 18-55 WR here, I seriously doubt much is going to happen. Might be different for the IIs, though.
This is my upgrade struggle. Been a Pentax shooter since ME super days. However lens availability from both Pentax and third parties seems to be waining for K mount. Nikon mounts have much better support. Pentax KII to me is a much better option than D7x00 but I can't get past the lens issue.

Sent from my EOS JB TF101
04-13-2013, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 475
QuoteOriginally posted by wilkster Quote
This is my upgrade struggle. Been a Pentax shooter since ME super days. However lens availability from both Pentax and third parties seems to be waining for K mount. Nikon mounts have much better support. Pentax KII to me is a much better option than D7x00 but I can't get past the lens issue.

Sent from my EOS JB TF101
Third party lens makers do seem to be slow or even unwilling to release K mount versions of their latest lenses, but I'm always a bit puzzled when people say that Pentax has some sort of lens availability issue?

As a person who has little use for consumer lenses (defined by me as non-fixed aperture), I look at the Pentax APS fixed aperture lens offerings and I see a lineup unmatched by Canon or Nikon:


14mm 2.8
15mm 4.0
21mm 3.2
31mm 1.8
35mm 2.4
35mm 2.8
40mm 2.8
40mm 2.8xs
43mm 1.9
50mm 1.4
50mm 1.8
50mm 2.8
55mm 1.4
70mm 2.4
77mm 1.8
100mm 2.8 wr
100mm 2.8 non wr
200mm 2.8
300mm 4.0
560mm 5.6

This lineup is even harder to match when you factor in WR, pancakes and the limited lens build quality.

Fixed aperture zooms seem pretty competitive as well:

12-24 4.0
16-45 4.0
16-50 2.8
17-70 4.0
50-135 2.8
60-250 4.0

Several of these are WR as well.

While I no longer own any consumer lenses, from what I can see, Pentax has always offered lenses that seem to me to fill the same focal lengths and aperture ranges as the competition as well:

10-17 3.5-4.5 (this lens is actually a better than consumer grade lens)
18-55 3.5 -4.5 wr
18-55 II 3.5 - 4.5 -5.6
18-135 3.5-5.6
18-270 3.5-6.3
50-200 4.5 - 5.6
50-200 4.5 - 5-6 wr
55-300 4.0 - 5.8


I do see a hole beyond 300mm, and the new 560mm is a bit pricey and perhaps a bit too long to fill that area for most Pentax shooters. A good 400mm 4.0 or even 4.5 would have been a better choice, IMO. I also cannot fathom why good Pentax 1.4x and 2.0X TCs have not long ago been released, but otherwise I do not see anything in the competing lens lineups that would compel me to spend the kind of money it would cost to change systems.

Exactly what is missing from the above list that is holding back your photography?

Ray

P.S. - I posted this question not to be a pain, but because I am truly curious as to why people would consider switching brands for "lens availability" given the above lists.

Last edited by Ray Pulley; 04-13-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
04-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Third party lens makers do seem to be slow or even unwilling to release K mount versions of their latest lenses, but I'm always a bit puzzled when people say that Pentax has some sort of lens availability issue?

As a person who has little use for consumer lenses (defined by me as non-fixed aperture), I look at the Pentax APS fixed aperture lens offerings and I see a lineup unmatched by Canon or Nikon:


14mm 2.8
15mm 4.0
21mm 3.2
31mm 1.8
35mm 2.4
35mm 2.8
40mm 2.8
40mm 2.8xs
43mm 1.9
50mm 1.4
50mm 1.8
50mm 2.8
55mm 1.4
70mm 2.4
77mm 1.8
100mm 2.8 wr
100mm 2.8 non wr
200mm 2.8
300mm 4.0
560mm 5.6

This lineup is even harder to match when you factor in WR, pancakes and the limited lens build quality.

Fixed aperture zooms seem pretty competitive as well:

12-24 4.0
16-45 4.0
16-50 2.8
17-70 4.0
50-135 2.8
60-250 4.0

Several of these are WR as well.

While I no longer own any consumer lenses, from what I can see, Pentax has always offered lenses that seem to me to fill the same focal lengths and aperture ranges as the competition as well:

10-17 3.5-4.5 (this lens is actually a better than consumer grade lens)
18-55 3.5 -4.5 wr
18-55 II 3.5 - 4.5 -5.6
18-135 3.5-5.6
18-270 3.5-6.3
50-200 4.5 - 5.6
50-200 4.5 - 5-6 wr
55-300 4.0 - 5.8


I do see a hole beyond 300mm, and the new 560mm is a bit pricey and perhaps a bit too long to fill that area for most Pentax shooters. A good 400mm 4.0 or even 4.5 would have been a better choice, IMO. I also cannot fathom why good Pentax 1.4x and 2.0X TCs have not long ago been released, but otherwise I do not see anything in the competing lens lineups that would compel me to spend the kind of money it would cost to change systems.

Exactly what is missing from the above list that is holding back your photography?

Ray

P.S. - I posted this question not to be a pain, but because I am truly curious as to why people would consider switching brands for "lens availability" given the above lists.
Ray, thank you for taking time time to post a detailed response. I am going to use this to help research lens. The lens range I am searching for now is in the 10-20 or 12-24 range. Mainly for landscape photography.
04-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Well, I ended up ordering a K5d iis...

As tempted as I was with the D7100 (I tried one and let's be honest... it's focusing blows anything pentax ever made out of the water), in the end I stuck with Pentax mostly because I have so much invested in pentax glass and I like the feel of my K5 (though I could get used to something new).

Pat

04-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 475
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Well, I ended up ordering a K5d iis...

As tempted as I was with the D7100 (I tried one and let's be honest... it's focusing blows anything pentax ever made out of the water), in the end I stuck with Pentax mostly because I have so much invested in pentax glass and I like the feel of my K5 (though I could get used to something new).

Pat
The K5 is of the same generation as the D7000, although the K5II is a bit newer, at least with regards to AF. I'm not sure where the D7100 AF blows away the K5II, but it isn't in low light focus, as the K5II is rated a full stop better at the low end than the 7100.

The real D7100 comparison will be when the Knext is released. The good news is that the D7100 price pretty much sets where Pentax has to be with the Knext.

You also avoided buying a camera that seems to have a banding issue in the shadows that is limiting the ultimate DR it can deliver.

I am of the opinion that the biggest issue with Pentax AF is in speed and/or tracking, and IMO the speed is a lens issue, especially with SDM lenses.

I will likely be ordering a K5II soon myself which will put my K5 into backup duty.

Good luck with your new camera.

Ray
04-16-2013, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
loveisageless's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oakland, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 890
Just returned to Pentax from Nikon FF land. FF, lots of pixels, but I still like the pictures I took with my K-7 the best of all. Have a K-5IIs on the way, since I no longer have my K-7. I think the best camera is the one that inspires you to stop whatever you are doing on a nice day, pick it up and go out and shoot. Nikon camera ergonomics were not it for me. Excellent but bigger ugly plastic primes. Really missed the limiteds. Camera bodies are like cars. The rare one is a classic and appreciates. The rest decline in value as soon as the next model appears. Neither are investments in the true sense of the word. Lenses on the other hand... $200 more for the K-5II or IIS today vs. next month, next quarter, next year...what value does one place on joy?
04-17-2013, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
what value does one place on joy?
You hit me in the gut =))

Ever since I got the K-5 IIs and the FA77 Limited, it has been pure joy. Then I got the DA*50-135, and I can now take that joy to the rain.
04-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maui, HI
Posts: 52
Now is the time.... I've been waiting patiently for the mailman to deliver my K5iis, can't wait to take those first shots. Emmy Photo sold it to me for $1029.00 ,body kit, did i mention that i can't wait..........(jumping up and down like a child)
04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Lenses on the other hand
Are like diamonds.

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
$200 more for the K-5II or IIS today vs. next month, next quarter, next year...what value does one place on joy?

That's the way to look at it.
The joy of photography makes us want to buy these 'toys'. But the K-5 IIs is indeed a fine tool for the job, particularly paired with the best of lenses. Unless the FF camera Pentax plan to make is of comparable size/weight, then it will probably take away from some of the joy mentioned above.
04-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
Site Supporter
loveisageless's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oakland, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 890
My K-5 IIs arrived yesterday. All I can say is "wow!"
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #30
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Congrats mate. Will be following suit soon. And a comment on lens availability: it is not as relevant once you have bought the lenses you need to shoot what you want. They are lifetime investments as opposed to the temporal ones in digital camera bodies.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-30, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-5iis, k5, pentax, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k-5 L-plate to k-5iis sharps4570 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 01-13-2013 03:16 PM
How best to de-blur k-5/k-5II users to match k-5IIs close-enough Pentax K-5 11 12-03-2012 02:14 PM
When Will the K-5II & K-5IIs Test Shots Start Coming Out? reivax Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 09-22-2012 07:07 AM
To buy or not to buy: Old (second hand store) K-mount lenses? Origineelreclamebord Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 08-21-2012 07:44 AM
K-X - when to buy bob_00 Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 11-15-2009 08:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top