Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

K-5IIs - when to buy?

Having recently purchased a K-30 (about 5 weeks ago), I think I'm "all-in" with Pentax and ready to get a K-5iis. I know they were sold for $1049 on Black Friday of last year. I'm in no great rush to get one. The $250 rebate (on a handful of lenses) that just expired nearly got me to leap, but I can wait. Anyone know what the next promotion will be? In the meantime, I'll keep shooting my K-30 and wait for another price drop on the body (or similar incentive) to get my back on the Pentax teat.

03-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I almost bit at this month's package deal as well. But I became concerned that a release of a new camera would push down the price of the K5iis body, and although I haven't seen this rumor anywhere, it seems that Pentax might update coating of the FA limited lenses to the new HD coating.
03-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, I too am in a holding pattern at the moment. No new purchases until I see where Pentax is going with the rumoured (?!) new cameras. I'm sure this period of uncertainty isn't doing their sales figures any good.
03-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto, also in holding pattern. While rather bemused at the frenzy of speculation and on-the-fly design discussion a week or so ago on this forum, it would seem that a new APS-C camera is not too far away.

03-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

New models are supposed to be announced in April, and yes this may impact prices of current models.
03-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
new APS-C camera is not too far away
Everyone is saying that the 24MP K-3 will be out in the fall. It's still just a rumor, but many sources have been hinting at it, so personally I'd say that it's a fairly safe bet. The K-5 IIs is probably going to fall to $900 or so when it comes out. If you want one now, personally I don't think you have much to lose. It's not like the price is ever going to be cut in half like it was for the original K-5

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
At $900, I'm buyer (at $1,000 in the next months or so, I'm also a buyer). At $1,200, I'm not (even if they give a big incentive on a lens I crave , but don't need). I'll continue to watch and wait. I don't need (or possibly even want) a 24MP camera, but if a new K-3 helps drop the price on the K-5IIs stock, bring it on, baby! (said in a Dick Vitale voice for March Madness)

Last edited by Lukinosity; 03-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm a few millimeters away from pulling it on a $729 K5, and I think I would spring for a ~$1000 K5IIs but no more than that. If the K3 doesn't beat the D7100 specs while being more than a couple hundred more i'm not touching it. It either has to be similarly priced or blow it out of the water and not that much more expensive.

03-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a guess here, since I really don't know anything. Usually, you have the current model, whose price breaks a bit before a new model, in-order to clear out inventory. This time its a bit different, since there are still some K5 that are available at about the $750 area, then on top of that you have the II and the IIs models sitting just above $1K and $1.1K. Just a guess here, but I would think that they would like to clear out the K5, in order to move the buying to the two newer models right before the announcement, to reduce that model's inventory.

On the other hand, given that the K5/II/IIs models have been a very good set of models, they might use them along with the K30 as entry / mid level bodies to stair step folks into their new model(s). There really has been no indication from Pentax in terms of what they may be thinking.

During this last week, with the rash of rumors and countdown clock, it somewhat reminded me of what preceded the K20 and the K7. What it comes down to is that folks who really know are not talking, while the folks who don't know are rife with speculation and rumors. It will all come out in due time, so just sit back and enjoy the show....

All I know is that my K5 still took some really nice images this evening, along with the Q. I also suspect that they will continue to take really nice images on into the future.

03-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
At $900, I'm buyer (at $1,000 in the next months or so, I'm also a buyer). At $1,200, I'm not (even if they give a big incentive on a lens I crave , but don't need). I'll continue to watch and wait. I don't need (or possibly even want) a 24MP camera, but if a new K-3 helps drop the price on the K-5IIs stock, bring it on, baby!
Sounds like you answered your own question. You are cost sensitive, but not schedule sensitive, at least at this time. (So am I.) Vitale is very recognizable - almost a trademark.
03-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

GlennG and Lukinosity -- Me too. I want a K-5 IIs, but am hoping that a bunch of new cameras will obsolete it faster than later. After all, isn't the K-5 IIs still new in the marketplace? Wasn't it just announced in the fall last year? Tough business -- all that work to make a new camera, and you have to price-cut within the first six months. But it's good for consumers!
03-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
I'm a few millimeters away from pulling it on a $729 K5, and I think I would spring for a ~$1000 K5IIs but no more than that. If the K3 doesn't beat the D7100 specs while being more than a couple hundred more i'm not touching it. It either has to be similarly priced or blow it out of the water and not that much more expensive.
I really think they should take a note from Nikon and remove the AA filter on the base model.
03-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
GlennG and Lukinosity -- Me too. I want a K-5 IIs, but am hoping that a bunch of new cameras will obsolete it faster than later. After all, isn't the K-5 IIs still new in the marketplace? Wasn't it just announced in the fall last year? Tough business -- all that work to make a new camera, and you have to price-cut within the first six months. But it's good for consumers!
It's HARDLY a new model. It's 95% the same as the K5. It's basically a 3 year old sensor with a couple new tricks. But I think the next real new camera from Pentax will be around $1,700 like the K5 was when IT came out. I prefer to be about one model behind the cutting edge
04-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I keep checking the Pentax promotions page no new rebate yet. Hmmmm... wonder if we need to wait for new stuff to come out before we see more deals on the II/IIs. Kicking myself now for not grabbing the IIs with a FA77 last month.
04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't think the K-5 IIs will go down beyond $850 brand new. As it is, and even if the new 24MP-er comes out (even if I had the money), I'd stick to my K-5 IIs.

Must upgrade my computer first, lol. 16MP is big enough for most jobs I do