Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #1

Remote control for K5

Anyone know of a good remote that has a decent range (at leat 15 feet) and does video playback? I bought one from amazon that was waterproof for around 10 bucks. synced right up, but only works within like 5 feet and has no playback.

Thanks!

04-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None that I know of does playback, sorry.
04-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
None that I know of does playback, sorry.
Me too, I have never seen a play-back function ...

The Pentax remote is OK. I bought one, but was surprised to find that one cannot change the battery in it ... J
04-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Me too, I have never seen a play-back function ...

The Pentax remote is OK. I bought one, but was surprised to find that one cannot change the battery in it ... J
I'm a big fan of this remote. It's cheap, takes a standard battery that I find at WalMart, and does focus as well as shutter.
JJC RM-E7 Remote Control reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

04-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm a big fan of this remote. It's cheap, takes a standard battery that I find at WalMart, and does focus as well as shutter.
JJC RM-E7 Remote Control reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Doc: Thanks for the find. I will look that one up.

Jean: I bought one on amazon that is waterproof and you cant change the battery! which is why i think it is a 5 range. Would probably work great if it had a new battery.

thought i would try the "CAmRanger" app for Iphone. But they only have Canon and Nikon. My only complaitn with Pentax. The nicheness of it! (If that is really a word)

Barry
04-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gonoles110 Quote
Doc: Thanks for the find. I will look that one up.

Jean: I bought one on amazon that is waterproof and you cant change the battery! which is why i think it is a 5 range. Would probably work great if it had a new battery.

thought i would try the "CAmRanger" app for Iphone. But they only have Canon and Nikon. My only complaitn with Pentax. The nicheness of it! (If that is really a word)

Barry
Because the remote is in hand when in use I have not had a problem with WR at all. I own 4 remotes, 3 of which are the one I linked to, and they all have been exposed to varying amounts of rain without problems. I have not taken any whitewater rafting or canoeing or anything of the sort and that would be where saran wrap or a baggie would be my solution. Best of luck.
04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gonoles110 Quote
... Jean: I bought one on amazon that is waterproof and you cant change the battery! which is why i think it is a 5 range. Would probably work great if it had a new battery. ... Barry
Bonjour Barry,

Mine is an OEM Pentax (WR) and the battery issue was what I was told at my B&M store ...

Never really looked at it too hard, so maybe it can be changed ...

OK, just examined it again and there are four screws on the back, thus it looks like it can be opened ... but, that's a project for another day whenever the battery goes out J

04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour Barry,

Mine is an OEM Pentax (WR) and the battery issue was what I was told at my B&M store ...

Never really looked at it too hard, so maybe it can be changed ...

OK, just examined it again and there are four screws on the back, thus it looks like it can be opened ... but, that's a project for another day whenever the battery goes out J
Yes, there are screws but others who have tried have reported here on PF that the two main halves are also glued together and must be pried apart.
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, there are screws but others who have tried have reported here on PF that the two main halves are also glued together and must be pried apart.
OK - Merci, Docrwm ... J
07-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
Forum Member

Id recommend appling 50 to 70C (maybe even 80 to 100C) with a heat gun to the remote after unscrewing the 4 screws.
Makes it easier to pry it apart after the glue has melted a little bit.

Dont overdo it or you risk burning components or plastic!
07-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Forum Member

Try this one -with some tweaking with K-5 it will focus, too .
Standard flat battery is easy to replace on it :

Amazon.com: IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo

oops , I think docrwm had the same one in mind
07-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You will get better results and 100Mts plus range with a radio remote, the older Yongnuo RF-602 works 100% reliably, You place the receiver into the hotshoe, no connections here it's just a place to keep it, use their Pentax lead (2.5mm stereo jack plug) which connects between the receiver and the cameras remote socket. Use the tiny transmitter in your hand, it has half press for auto focus and full press, to take the shot, just like your cameras shutter button.

They can also be used to sync a manual flash, which is their primary function, for this you put the transmitter into the hotshoe, now it connects to the central sync contact, you put your remote flash into the hotshoe of the transmitter and it will sync the remote flash. No TTL just manual, but it works with over 100Mts range and is 100% reliable.

Cheaper than the Pentax IR, with much more range, you don't need line of sight and bright sunlight, obviously, doesn't effect it at all.

Chris