Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

White Balance In-Camera.

When I shoot in a gym, the WB can change dramatically from one side to the other. Auto renders a blue cast under florescent light. Do I have to constantly change the setting our should I just get LR and batch process?

04-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If the florescent light s the only major light source then yes you can batch process them.
04-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

I shoot a lot of basketball. I use Kelvin white balance and take a few shots to get it right.
04-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I've just bought the X-Rite Colour Checker Passport, to deal with exactly these sorts of issues, maybe be worth a look.

04-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes I use a gray or white card to get a custom white balance in camera. Or since I shoot raw, at lease take one shot with a white card and in post processing correct the while balance. Sometimes I find it really difficult to get a proper balance. Example was this last weekend taking baptism photos in our church. Over head lights were different from a single tungsten spot light and I still needed a small amount of flash.
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you are shooting jpeg, getting a decent custom white balance is important prior to starting the assignment. With Raw it is less relevant, though it helps you gauge the quality of your shots as they happen if your WB is close. The user guide has specific procedure for obtaining an accurate in-camera WB. Learn it and practice it with a white card. Save the configuration for future use. I have found that a styrofoam white dinner plate--the kind you find at events (often the ones I shoot) work quite well. Nice & white & lightweight & free & if you get strung out all you need is food.

M
04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Using the white foam plate is good if you shoot jpegs. Shooting RAW I use a "whybal" card (WhiBal White Balance Gray Card Video Tutorial by Michael Tapes) card and in a gym I take 3 shots at different locations and never use AWB which changes all the time. I then fix WB in PP.
04-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Why not shoot Raw and spend your energy on the shot? Storage is really cheap now. Once you have the Raw image, you can play with the keepers later!

04-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'll speak for myself, re: why not shoot Raw only. It's not uncommon to have quick turnaround shooting assignments at venues having challenging lighting. One doesn't have the luxury of time for dealing with shots and jpeg is the requirement.

Sometimes I'm working with production teams doing bizarre things with the pictures. Asking them to convert raw images from so many camera and brands would get you the street. So a mastery of jpeg in camera gymnastics really helps.

M
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
When I shoot in a gym, the WB can change dramatically from one side to the other. Auto renders a blue cast under florescent light. Do I have to constantly change the setting our should I just get LR and batch process?
Your issue could be your shutter speed as well. Fluorescent lights typically cycle at around 50Hz. If your shutter speed is faster than that (faster than 1/50sec.), your camera is taking the picture quick enough to capture the shifting colors put out by the bulbs as they cycle. We don't see the color shifts ourselves because they happen so fast, but also because our brains are the ultimate image processing engines.

Just slow your shutter speed down, and the colors tinges will stabilize, and then your pre-set WB for fluorescent (or AWB) should get you through without having to bother with a bunch of post-processing because you shot RAW.
04-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The problem is I'm shooting Table Tennis and need the speed. It turns out that I can go into WB mode and take a preview shot and adjust to my liking. One of the players is a Wedding pro and was advising to meter a gray metal chair to attain 18%, but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

Last edited by tabl10s; 04-11-2013 at 10:19 PM.
04-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Usually I use 1 of these 58mm White Balance Lens Filter Cap with Filter Mount | eBay or a body cap or a piece of plastic which cut off from a milk jug.
04-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Here is another ideal that I read about and used. Use a white coffee filter over your lens to set the white balance. If you google it there will be plenty of articles about this method. Here is one link for it:
Product Comparison: White Balance Filters (Professional Photographer Magazine Web Exclusives)
04-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Sorry, This Situation Can't Be Batch Processed

If the color of the light varies--as when shooting at various angles to the lighting in a gym or when different light sources are involved--windows, led, tungsten and fluorescent--often mixed in varying proportions depending on where you stand in a room or which direction you point the camera--then batch processing won't work very well. For most batch processing, all the images need to have the same color to correct.

For me, indoor white balance is one of the most difficult technical "issues." One of my approaches to "fix" it is to stop attempting to perfectly match the actual conditions. I'm fairly likely to be satisfied by picking a close in-camera choice and then just running with it...looks fine on the computer screen, though clearly doesn't "color match" when comparing the colors on the camera rear screen to the actual colors in the scene.

It's an imperfect world.