Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Ya there is a way to put the camera into manual focus, and someone described how you can do that, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned to you is the quickshift option of this lens, basically you just press the shutter button like you are focusing, then while holding that button in that position, just turn the focusing ring for your own manual control of the focus, that is one thing I really like about the 18-135 lens, I pretty much have the same set up as you and I find that that particular lens is on the camera 90% of the time, it gets a lot of use.
I too have brought my set up on water rides at Disney world, I even had the grip on it too, they thought I was insane when I demanded to hang on to my camera and have it exposed to the elements, most others with cameras had to stow away their cameras so they wont get them wet, it was those moments I was rather proud to be carrying Pentax gear, but then again I have always been proud to be using quality reliable equipment such as Pentax
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of how quick shift works. Let me try it out. I need manual focus only for extreme cases and this seems like the best way to quickly get some fine tuning done.

It was a nice feeling to carry the camera around without having to worry about water, dust and the elements . You never know when the magical moment will appear.

04-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Indopunk Quote
I like hearing that someone from the Canikon world has made the switch. Usually it's the other way around in my area. Congrats and enjoy! : )
The more I see, the more I like what's happening with Pentax. A very quality oriented store like Costco beginning to carry Pentax on the stateside (which is a store that I love and respect) is another indication that Pentax is on the right trajectory.

Plus, I can't stand how Canikon keeps crippling models to made it look like numerous options available for buyers. In the end, the low end products really do suck big time and forces people to keep buying new cameras as they mature their photography .

Sony seems to be going in the other direction too, with new cameras replacing old ones every 6 to 12 months. That's just a shame.

I waited and analyzed for a while and my k-5 so far is proving that I made the right choice.
04-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by urundai Quote
The more I see, the more I like what's happening with Pentax. A very quality oriented store like Costco beginning to carry Pentax on the stateside (which is a store that I love and respect) is another indication that Pentax is on the right trajectory.

Plus, I can't stand how Canikon keeps crippling models to made it look like numerous options available for buyers. In the end, the low end products really do suck big time and forces people to keep buying new cameras as they mature their photography .

Sony seems to be going in the other direction too, with new cameras replacing old ones every 6 to 12 months. That's just a shame.

I waited and analyzed for a while and my k-5 so far is proving that I made the right choice.
Thanks Everyone for the great suggestions.

Turning on the AF Assist and using the quick shift, I was able to achieve a much better success. vertical / horizontal lines helped as well, especially when I tried to pick something that was very solid and same color.

Quick question : I changed the AF-S priority to shutter (instead of focus) as at times, even when viewfinder showed good focus, the focus lock wouldn't happen. Is there any problem in using shutter priority?
04-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Use Center Focus Point and sometimes you have to focus on something which has more contrast, then lock focus and reframe and shoot.

04-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus does lock, the issue is shutter lag - the time between the focus lock and the body receiving the "fire shutter" signal seems like it takes no time, but in fact is is just enough time to lose focus. I use shutter priority on both the K5 and the D7100...
04-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery
60D Owners

Hello everyone

I'm new to the Pentax Forums and don't have a Pentax ... yet but I'm seriously considering and saving for one.

At the moment I'm on Canon, with my main camera being a 60D but it didn't like rain too much so I think it's a paperweight now, never powers up.

That's why I was thinking of Pentax because of the sealing (even though the 60D is supposed to have SOME weather sealing)
So for the previous 60D owners, how's Pentax treating you? I like the size of the 60D but not my 1000D because that's too small, and the K-5 II is in between those in size.
04-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used the 60D before and find the K-5 a more solid build, better feel and functionally smoother. The choice is yours. Test drive a K-5 yourself to see the difference.

04-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #38

I don't think 60D compares well with K5 or K5 II. On the body and ergonomics 60D is more like fat Canon Rebel than older XXD series (60D body is plastic vs earlier XXDs were magnesium) K 5 is much better, sturdier and more like Canon 7D in much smaller package with much better sensor.

Image quality as well K5 would be better as its carrying best 16M Sony sensor with excellent DR. Its kind of accepted fact that Canon is currently lagging in sensor development compared to Sony sensors used in Pentaxes and Nikons .

The only area where you may find Canon better is AF Speed. While Canon is much better for all practical normal daily life shooting Pentax AF is very good to good enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by 85Civic Quote
Hello everyone

I'm new to the Pentax Forums and don't have a Pentax ... yet but I'm seriously considering and saving for one.

At the moment I'm on Canon, with my main camera being a 60D but it didn't like rain too much so I think it's a paperweight now, never powers up.

That's why I was thinking of Pentax because of the sealing (even though the 60D is supposed to have SOME weather sealing)
So for the previous 60D owners, how's Pentax treating you? I like the size of the 60D but not my 1000D because that's too small, and the K-5 II is in between those in size.
04-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery
Yeah I'll have to test one out before I fully decide but Pentax isn't a big brand in New Zealand, so there's quite literally only a few stores on the internet (NZ based) that have them.

I haven't tried a 7D but I've seen one around every once and a while but it doesn't seem that much different to mine, but if you're comparing the 60D to the rebels then dam the K-5s must be nice!

By AF speed you mean the actual speed of focusing right? Not accuracy? That's fine by me, I'd had some USM gear but they never really became my main kit, as long as it locks on and doesn't hunt that's really good!

You guys are making me get too excited for the switch over with your comparisons to the 60D!
04-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 85Civic Quote
By AF speed you mean the actual speed of focusing right? Not accuracy?
Yes, in terms of accuracy, Pentax AF is among the top of the class.

I don't think that AF speed is the problem that it used to be with one exception: Continuous AF. If you are trying to follow an object moving towards you or moving away from you with continuous AF then the best Nikon and Canon AF systems are significantly better than Pentax AF. Apparently Pentax intends to fix that in future cameras, but if running dogs or kids are not your main subjects anyhow then you should be fine with the current Pentax AF system already.