Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Jumped Ship - K5

I was sick and tired of my Canon 60D and sold it months ago. Tried my hands on Nex 5N (still have it) and while it was decent, picture quality was so so, especially at ISO 3200. Not to mention that neck strap which irritated me to no extend during a recent trip on a hot day outdoors.

After weeks of contemplation between Pentax & Olympus and K-5 vs K-5 ii, finally got the K-5 18-135 kit this past week. Initial impressions are "Wow". this is in a different league compared to the 60D & the sony. I gave it to a professional photographer to take my family picture at disneyland and she complemented that "this is a great camera, you have" when handing it back to me .

My only irritation at this point is the low light focus, even with the new firmware. There were couple times when my kids posed for the camera just before the rides at disneyland but the camera wouldn't lock in on focus. Don't know if there are any tips & tricks to improve low light focus. Would be nice to hear any comments and insights from this passionate group (been following the forum for few weeks now).

04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! And you're in the right place for all the advice you need from this great community. I have no suggestions for you, but I'm sure someone will help you out before long. Enjoy your stay!
04-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

With my K5 I know that it will not lock on a solid color while in low light. I simply shift to a place where there's contrasting colors.
04-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard, it's a fantastic combination, one I had and am very happy with.

As for locking focus, use the central point and make sure you centre it over some visible lines. AF looks for vertical and horizonal lines that cut across the AF sensors. Don't be afraid to move the camera around a little bit if it's having trouble locking. I'm sure someone can explain this better than I have

04-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the land of pentax. It's hard to know how good our cameras are as we can't compare cameras we don't own. i think we all complain about auto focus. But who knows?
04-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one place where the K-5 II would have helped, but you can still work with it as others have mentioned. To some extent this is just the way it is with a Pentax system, at least for now (and probably for about 1-3 years into the future, IMO). Every camera has its weak points. AF is one area where Canon still appears to be dominant, although it's falling behind in many other areas.
04-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I often use the center point for focus, and it took me a while to realize that despite the red square my AF point was at the lower-right corner of that square. If you try AFc and center focus, you can wander around an image and learn where that focus point really is - that helped me a lot!

And welcome to the group!
04-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone. Once again, after watching the forum, you are all proving me that I made the right choice. A vibrant and active user community is a great support tool and was part of my decision.

I do use center point (thanks to the not so great auto focus system in 60D). I was just curious as I could take some photos in low light but not for some.

Looking for the contrasty colors or vertical / horizontal lines in the image are great tips that I will try out. I am simply in love with the camera and the ergonomics. I knew the AF in low light was little weak but couldn't pass up the great price for the camera + lens combo (little under $1000 new). That nice cold metal feel on the hand when holding the camera is simply too good.

I was in one of the water rides and proudly carried my camera through splashing water. I smiled at the other person in the ride who was quickly shoving his Nikon in to the bag, when the ride started.

04-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Speaking of the Canon 60D, (and I probably shouldn't say this), but I laugh at that camera every time I walk into our Sams Club. The camera is located in a display directly to the left as you walk in. It is just not in the same class as the K5. Cheap and "plasticky" especially the 18-135 zoom lens. It feels and looks like a toy. So glad I chose the K5 over that

It's too bad they don't offer the Pentax K5 kit at Sams. It certainly would offer a much better choice for the same price.
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Pentax Forums, and most of all, welcome to a new Pentaxian. I too owned a 60D before I moved on to the K-5. I do find the K-5 (and the Pentax system in general) to be superior to the 60D on the whole.
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome, you can solve the "low light" issue by investing in some faster lenses, they don't have to be Pentax branded as Sigma, Tamron have lenses with Pentax's PK mount.
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Then he would have ended up shoving his camera in the bag before the ride, like the Nikon guy...
04-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here. The K-5 has the LED AF assist which should be used as much as possible in those situations.
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

Original Poster
@Clicker : You are right. I am thinking about that as well, at least for low light situations. Despite the great Pentax Limited series of lenses, I am more of a zoom lens oriented person. So, I am thinking of the tamron 28-75, which gives nice range covering street photography to portrait in f2.8. I can use it indoors at least and it isn't very expensive.

@Ash : Yes, I kind of had it off, just by habit. I don't usually turn it on as I think it might be irritating to people being photographed (despite the cool green pentax color). I may have to assign a custom button (if possible) to turn it on or off quickly.

K-5 is definitely in a different league compared to the canikon systems. Even though canon / nikon market their APS-C cameras, their APS-C lens system selection is very poor, often forcing one to go with the expensive and heavy FF lenses. I like the weight to performance ratio of the APS-C DSLR and will be thoroughly enjoying the K-5. Maybe in a year or two, upgrade to the next K-x series offering from Pentax.
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

Easy fix for when auto focus doesn't want to work. Use manual focus!