Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 11:29 AM - 4 Likes   #1

K-5 Manual video mode workaround

Hello there,

let me first apologize if someone did mention this before here. I did the searching and found nothing, so I thought myself that this would be a nice thing to share. It is about "secret" manual video mode in K-5. I did not know this till today and - it seems to be pretty awesome. The tutorial is not mine, but let me explain it to you in my words.

So in default K-5 video mode you can control your aperture and exposure compensation (WB and other stuff) - and that's it - compared to other cameras like Canons and Nikons this pretty much sucks isn't it?! But there is a workaround how to control the ISO and the shutter speed as well. This might be handy when shooting e.g. on green background and you want to avoid motion blur caused by fast movements.

Here are the simple steps:
  1. You have to use one of the USER modes - set it to Av and tweak your exposure settings.
  2. When done - press the AE-L button - this will lock your exposure settings.
  3. Keep it locked and then just switch to the video mode - the exposure settings will remain locked.
  4. Start shooting and enjoy your manual settings

Limits: ISO must me 3200 at maximum and shutter speed must be at least 1/25 or 1/30 depending on the video format you chose.

Happy shooting and for those who did know that - don't call me captain obvious, I was pretty happy when found this.

Cheers.

Last edited by fandart; 04-04-2013 at 11:52 AM.
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. I had not heard this.

I will give it a try.

Jonathan
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Ooops double post.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 04-04-2013 at 01:12 PM.
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey that sounds great.
Wonder if Pentax realize this ?

I'll have to try it out.

08-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
B-J

Hi!
Hope some of you can help a newbie here in the forums I`ve tried doing this "workaround but it doesn`t seem to work properly. In the menu I`ve set my aperture to "fixed." Then I went to AV-mode and got 1/30 and iso 400 with F 2.8. I pushed the AE-L button once and locked it. Without turning the camera off I switched to video mode and started to shoot with my Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens.
During shooting the exposure changes. If I aim at something dark it adjusts and gets brighter after a second or so. And I can see that the aperture is not changing. Doen`t this mean that the camera changes the ISO or the shutter speed?
I also have an A-series lens (50mm 1.4) which have an aperturering and when using this you can clearly see the camera adjusting the exposure when you change the aperture.
I`ve just updated to the latest firmware.
10-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by fandart Quote
Hello there,

let me first apologize if someone did mention this before here. I did the searching and found nothing, so I thought myself that this would be a nice thing to share. It is about "secret" manual video mode in K-5. I did not know this till today and - it seems to be pretty awesome. The tutorial is not mine, but let me explain it to you in my words.

So in default K-5 video mode you can control your aperture and exposure compensation (WB and other stuff) - and that's it - compared to other cameras like Canons and Nikons this pretty much sucks isn't it?! But there is a workaround how to control the ISO and the shutter speed as well. This might be handy when shooting e.g. on green background and you want to avoid motion blur caused by fast movements.

Here are the simple steps:
  1. You have to use one of the USER modes - set it to Av and tweak your exposure settings.
  2. When done - press the AE-L button - this will lock your exposure settings.
  3. Keep it locked and then just switch to the video mode - the exposure settings will remain locked.
  4. Start shooting and enjoy your manual settings

Limits: ISO must me 3200 at maximum and shutter speed must be at least 1/25 or 1/30 depending on the video format you chose.

Happy shooting and for those who did know that - don't call me captain obvious, I was pretty happy when found this.

Cheers.
You deserve a prize! No sarcasm in it! I'd love if pentax could throw it into a firmware update for us, but with all new 5 II's and the 3 model now about to be released, I doubt Pentax will put in the effort on new features for the K-5. I'll try that next time I do a video (not that often, but it's good to have the option when you need it). Cheers.
10-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Awesome!

Thanks for posting this tip. I've been trying to find a good way to do this.
10-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by B-J Quote
Hi!
Hope some of you can help a newbie here in the forums I`ve tried doing this "workaround but it doesn`t seem to work properly. In the menu I`ve set my aperture to "fixed." Then I went to AV-mode and got 1/30 and iso 400 with F 2.8. I pushed the AE-L button once and locked it. Without turning the camera off I switched to video mode and started to shoot with my Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens.
During shooting the exposure changes. If I aim at something dark it adjusts and gets brighter after a second or so. And I can see that the aperture is not changing. Doen`t this mean that the camera changes the ISO or the shutter speed?
I also have an A-series lens (50mm 1.4) which have an aperturering and when using this you can clearly see the camera adjusting the exposure when you change the aperture.
I`ve just updated to the latest firmware.
@B-J - You have to go to AV in USER mode, not in AV mode.

10-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
On the K-01, the aperture ring is fully functional while recording. You won't get a light meter reading, but you can lock the exposure wide open or stepped down or wherever, and manipulate from there.
06-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #10

Incredible news! I missed that one but i was looking for it for a long time. I'll shoot video with different settings and upload them as soon as possible.Thank you fandart! (I'm wondering how you found out that trick...)
06-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by inexstase Quote
Incredible news! I missed that one but i was looking for it for a long time. I'll shoot video with different settings and upload them as soon as possible.Thank you fandart! (I'm wondering how you found out that trick...)
Just to say that it is 100% working. I tried it today with a shutter speed up to 1/4000. Really helpfull for green keying and to obtain sharp images without any blur. The manual video mode for Pentax K5 that everyone waited for has emerged. Why didn't they implement it in a firmware? If you want to use this system with a prime lens (or zoom actually), make sure that you have at least A-lens mount or later one. It won't work with the former M or K mounts since the camera wants the aperture info to decide of the shutter speed.I tried it with my prime SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm and it worked. I couldn't manage to make it work with my older one 28mm M mount.
06-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fandart Quote
Hello there,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/104903-guide-manua...ure-k-7-a.html
01-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
sbh
Site Supporter

Quite an old discussion but it helped me (thanks!), so I'd like to add something.

The described method works in Av but also in Manual mode if you keep the exposure-lock button ( * ) pressed while switching to Video mode.

I find it a bit easier to dial in the settings (I had to video a moving object and the shutterspeed went up and down all the time in Av mode).
04-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Quite an old discussion but it helped me (thanks!), so I'd like to add something.

The described method works in Av but also in Manual mode if you keep the exposure-lock button ( * ) pressed while switching to Video mode.

I find it a bit easier to dial in the settings (I had to video a moving object and the shutterspeed went up and down all the time in Av mode).
Great to know - I was struggling with this this last Sunday! Thank you!