Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taken for Granted

I'm a raw shooter and use a lot of MF/ME lenses, so I tend to ignore many of the processing options in the camera. However, it's refreshing to occasionally switch to JPEG and use some of the features on offer. For example, I've just been playing around with the following settings in HDR_JPEG (USER 4):

Av
1/20s, f/5.6, ISO80
SR On (normally I'd do HDR on a tripod, so this was for a bit of hand-held fun)
HDR Strong 1
Auto Align On
Distortion Correction On (using a DA 35/F2.4)
Lat CA Adj On

When I take a shot, a lot of processing is going on in this camera. How spoilt we are today, compared to "the good old days".

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 04-04-2013 at 03:02 PM.
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
It sure makes it easy. I'm going the other way. Have been shooting jpeg since I went digital, now trying Raw.
04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

I like to do my HDR "the hard way" with multiple RAW files and long processing times on the computer because I actually kind of enjoy it (I guess I'm a bit of a masochist). I have tried a few in camera HDRs on my K-01 though and they've been pretty decent. They still need to go through PS, but it's saved time in the HDR phase. Would I do it all the time? No. But I'm playing around and finding out in what situations it's "good enough". It is a time saver but it's hard to give up that control.
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
t is a time saver but it's hard to give up that control
Yes, raw devotees tend to be control freaks/masochists. I do HDR usually with MF/ME lenses, especially the M50/F1.7. Everything is done in the PC. But, I've realised that sometimes, instead of always swimming against the current, is nice to just float downstream with it, if only for a short while.

As much as I'm used to the feel of it, you don't always have to wear a hair shirt.

Dan.

04-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
I'm going the other way. Have been shooting jpeg since I went digital, now trying Raw
When I started out in DSLRs (K100D Super in Aug 2007), I only shot JPEG for a short while. But in my raw shooting, after I'd done the raw conversion I'd delete the raw file. This raw deletion went on for the first 4 months. I deeply regret that decision, as I've often wanted to go back to those early shots and reprocessing them, and only having the converted JPEGs left is a significant limitation.

Dan.
04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I deeply regret that decision, as I've often wanted to go back to those early shots and reprocessing them, and only having the converted JPEGs left is a significant limitation.
I'm SO glad that I made the decision in the beginning to shoot exclusively RAW. I've relaxed that a little in the last year, but I have almost every shot I've taken with a DLSR in the last 10 years in RAW. Whenever I get new software it's so great to be able to reprocess those old photos with the latest and greatest techniques. My biggest regret was only taking a point shoot when we adopted our daughter from Kazakhstan. Those images are JPEG only, so I feel your pain.
04-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #7

I shoot raw exclusively but once I have post processed them I delete the RAW files. File sizes upwards of 25MB per file consume a lot of space and with the number of pictures I click it is difficult to keep all of them
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot raw only and delete a fair portion of them after selecting the ones I want to keep and PP. The keepers I archive to DVD so I can reprocess if necessary. To enable finding the archived files, I always name the jpeg including the camera generated file name; K5_0001.dng is saved as K5_0001 whatever the picture is about.jpg

04-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
I shoot raw exclusively but once I have post processed them I delete the RAW files. File sizes upwards of 25MB per file consume a lot of space and with the number of pictures I click it is difficult to keep all of them
That's not a lot of storage in real terms - I have a NAS (2 x 1TB mirror RAID) that my images and music live on. No where near full - even with a bunch of software/document/system backups as well. From memory I've used about 35% for images.

Think about it - 1TB is 1048576 megabytes or about 41943 image files (if 25MB). You'd have to shoot about 110 images per day every day for a whole year to fill that up. That's a lot of images. Do you shoot that much?

If you use the shot gun approach to shooting that could be a problem. But HDD prices have dropped again, and you can build a 2TB (2 x 2TB drives) mirrored RAID NAS for under $400 and that gives you 83000 images. Or go the whole hog and build a 12TB system. Cheap insurance for an amateur. Pros will need more storage of course.

As for RAW shooting, I've been shooting RAW since my K200D purchase in September 2008 - and have most of them (except the true duds). With my K5 I use a bit more storage - but not that much.

If you use an application like Lightroom you can roll back to the original image with no loss of data. With new process functions in each version you can even go back and tweak images further.

Just my two bits......

Last edited by MoiVous; 04-09-2013 at 09:11 PM.
04-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
That's not a lot of storage in real terms - I have a NAS (2 x 1TB mirror RAID) that my images and music live on. No where near full - even with a bunch of software/document/system backups as well. From memory I've used about 35% for images.

Think about it - 1TB is 1048576 megabytes or about 41943 image files (if 25MB). You'd have to shoot about 110 images per day every day for a whole year to fill that up. That's a lot of images. Do you shoot that much?
Some folks might only have a very old, but trusty computer that came with an 80GB HDD, and they might have no desire to "add on." Easy for us to say "upgrade" but what if they don't want the bother? I remember all those boxes of slides my dad had in the closet, and how often he really went back to them...

Or, there's my situation, where I shoot HDR-bracketed panoramas (45-50 images per pano) in RAW, and due to space constraints (I have a 4TB work drive, amongst many others), when I process the intermediate images for stacking and stitching, I convert to JPEG max quality (12). Here is a single job folder from a recent "small" (half-day) shoot for a local film studio:

Of course, I'm always going to keep the raw files (as DNG) and the final files (as TIFF), but retaining the much smaller intermediate files allows me to quickly skip a step if a client wants different tonemapping of their HDR, or a partial pano with a different projection. That's my day-to-day work, but my personal photos can easily amount to 4 or 5GB in a single weekend. At some point I may switch to JPEG for the family snapshots, since I'm actually running low on time to process them all before sharing...