Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Difference in writing time between shooting with DA lenses and K lenses

Hi everyone
My K-5 is so slow to write images on the SDHC card compared to my K20. In raw format, it takes about 5-sec.Is this normal?
The firmware is up to date and I tested two or three SDHC cards but same.
Recently, however I realized that it is so fast (about 1 sec) to write when I shoot with M or K lenses.
I don't understand what makes the difference. Anyone has an idea what is going on?

Thank you

pirivirus

04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It shouldn't take 5 seconds to record a single image. The only time that write duration will be long because of the camera is:
a) You are taking a lot of photos in a row and the buffer can't keep up. For example Hi-speed burst mode for a long time
b) You are have a lot of things enabled, like digital filters, distortion correction, chrom ab correction, etc. But this should only be a problem if you are shooting as jpeg (or raw+jpeg).

What "class" and brand are your cards? It is possible that you just have a couple very slow cards. There are a couple websites that published SD card speeds. Some cards are just slow. Even though their packaging says "Up to 20MB/s!" (they are using tricky language)

Also, make sure you don't have timer or interval mode enabled. Long exposures also have "dark frame NR", which means the camera takes a second photo of the same length but with the shutter closed. So a 5 second photo can take much longer than 5 seconds. 2 second timer, 5 second exposure, 5 second dark frame, noise reduction, writing. Just saying.
04-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm guessing you have distortion correction turned on, and it only applies it to lenses it knows, i.e. the DA lenses...
04-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm guessing you have distortion correction turned on, and it only applies it to lenses it knows, i.e. the DA lenses...
+1
Though it is odd as the OP says RAW saving time. I did not think the camera would apply corrections if shooting RAW.

04-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
+1
Though it is odd as the OP says RAW saving time. I did not think the camera would apply corrections if shooting RAW.
I think it makes an embedded preview, so it still does the work...
04-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I think it makes an embedded preview, so it still does the work...
Yeah, that makes sense. There is an embedded jpeg preview, I just did not consider that the jpeg adjustments would be applied to it. Now I need to go and see if I have anything turned on, never bothered looking because I assumed it did not matter.
04-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
vonBaloney, you were right

you were right. I tested again with lens distortion turned-off and it worked!.

Thank you, all.