Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

If The K-5 Were A Film Camera And Loaded With K64....

it would have compared to...?

04-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon F5, Nikon F6, Canon 1V, EOS-3, Pentax MZ-S (in some respects).

Aside from crop sensor/viewfinder vs full frame arguments, only the very last generations of pro film cameras came anywhere close to the speed and level of features we take for granted in current mid level and pro DSLRs. Weather sealed magnesium alloy bodies were exotic for a film camera, as were drive modes in the 7 frame per second range and multi segment metering and AF. User accessible AF adjust was virtually unheard of. Even the 1/180 flash sync stacks up well against most film cameras.
04-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well said Steinback.

In terms of build the K-5 is comparable to higher end film cameras but obviously completely different style.

Wish the K-5 could offer ISO 64 or better yet 25 though - even if quality was the same as ISO 80! Technical reasons it doesn't of course.
04-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Nikon F5, Nikon F6, Canon 1V, EOS-3, Pentax MZ-S (in some respects).

Aside from crop sensor/viewfinder vs full frame arguments, only the very last generations of pro film cameras came anywhere close to the speed and level of features we take for granted in current mid level and pro DSLRs. Weather sealed magnesium alloy bodies were exotic for a film camera, as were drive modes in the 7 frame per second range and multi segment metering and AF. User accessible AF adjust was virtually unheard of. Even the 1/180 flash sync stacks up well against most film cameras.
And imagine what an in-body Shake Reduction mechanism for analogue film would have to be like.............

04-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's still in use today. It's a tripod.

I like my film cameras better than K5. First of all, it's so much easier to see through the viewfinder at night, not to mention compose. The viewfinder quality went down with invention of autofocus.
04-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
It's still in use today. It's a tripod.

I like my film cameras better than K5. First of all, it's so much easier to see through the viewfinder at night, not to mention compose. The viewfinder quality went down with invention of autofocus.
Pretty much anything skill-related (not just in photography) went down with the invention of anything auto-.

Don't get me wrong, God bless ease of use, but sometimes it's good to know you can still make it on your own should technology fail you.
04-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #7

First of all, it's so much easier to see through the viewfinder at night, not to mention compose. The viewfinder quality went down with invention of autofocus.
Yep, I miss the viewfinder of my Contax but I love my K5 nevertheless.

04-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong, I like my K5 as well. But I love the old cameras and film and it will never be able to substitute them, even tho it's a great camera.
For example I was composing a photo just before dawn. I could barely see anything out of the K5 viewfinder, no such issues with my Pentax ME Super with its very bright and large viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Yep, I miss the viewfinder of my Contax but I love my K5 nevertheless.
04-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The kids these days don't know how good they've got it...

Just about any camera out there these days has capabilities that would have only been dreamed about back in film days.
04-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The kids these days don't know how good they've got it...

Just about any camera out there these days has capabilities that would have only been dreamed about back in film days.
This is true, when I was a working pro shooting weddings with medium format cameras I only had manual exposure (I had to guess the f-stop because no auto flashes existed) and I had to manual focus often in dark churches. Today, even non-pro DSLR's can give results only obtainable with medium format 30 or 40 years ago. That said, I still shoot more film than digital, it is part of my soul. But, I love my K5, I traded a Canon 5DII for it with no regrets after I retired.
04-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For example I was composing a photo just before dawn. I could barely see anything out of the K5 viewfinder
That's when you realize how valuable Live View is.
04-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
That's when you realize how valuable Live View is.
It would have been valuable if it worked as well as my eyes do in dark.
04-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Semi-OT but curious.... I don't know much about Nikon and Canon mounts but do their stabilized lenses work as such on their film SLRs?
04-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes they do, I used to own a nikon F100 with a stabilised 80-200mm zoom. I think Canon came out first with them, but I could be mistaken.

Edit: a quick google search came up with this http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
Just look at the VR lenses
04-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
it would have compared to...?
Umm, a Z-1 (PZ-1) loaded with Kodachrome 64. Might be 20 yrs older but it had the same user interface as far as the photographic features went. The first Pentax to offer spot metering, Hyper modes and double-dial operation. It fits the hand almost exactly the same.

Only bettered by a Z-1 loaded with Kodachrome 25.