Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could k-30 be better camera than K-5 iis ?

Does anyone think the K-30 is better than the K-5 iis? Reading the forum long reviews of both cameras i notice much more enthusiasm for the the K-30 than the K-5 iis. I have owned and loved the K-5 so I am not asking for a list of features but the opinions of users of both cameras about their relative worth. I do most of my photography outdoors often backpacking in rugged terrain. I own the DA* 16-50, 50-135 and 60-250 as well as the 21, 40 and 70 limiteds and the DFA 100 macro. So I will be using pretty good glass. I am concerned that despite its many fine qualities the K-30 might not exploit that glass as well as the k-5 iis. I am aware of the rumors of a new Pentax DSLR but that is likely months away and does not worry my right now. Thanks for your considered thoughts on the comparison.

04-12-2013, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In some ways it is (video, processing speed, live view)- though for stills, the K-5 is going to be better because of its 14-bit raw.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Does anyone think the K-30 is better than the K-5 iis? Reading the forum long reviews of both cameras i notice much more enthusiasm for the the K-30 than the K-5 iis. I have owned and loved the K-5 so I am not asking for a list of features but the opinions of users of both cameras about their relative worth. I do most of my photography outdoors often backpacking in rugged terrain. I own the DA* 16-50, 50-135 and 60-250 as well as the 21, 40 and 70 limiteds and the DFA 100 macro. So I will be using pretty good glass. I am concerned that despite its many fine qualities the K-30 might not exploit that glass as well as the k-5 iis. I am aware of the rumors of a new Pentax DSLR but that is likely months away and does not worry my right now. Thanks for your considered thoughts on the comparison.
Well, the K-30 is basically, 90% of the K-5 at 50% of the (original) price. A bit exciting. On the other hand, the K-5 II and IIs are "just" updated K-5s, so they are a little bit less interesting.

As Adam says, in some places, the K-5 (and its variants) does better (Touching on that 90% bit...14-bit RAW, mirror lockup, etc.) But...

Having the K-30, I can say that it does not disappoint. (But, the only K-5 I've had a chance of comparing to it is the original K-5, so I don't know how it compares to the K-5 IIs.) I can get pretty good shots with my K-30 and 15mm Limited and the DA* 50-135.

*DISCLAIMER: I don't OWN a K-5. I just had a couple chances to play with it.
04-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All of that glass (except maybe the 40 - I'm not sure about it) will show even better resolution with the K-5 IIs compared to the K-5. Be aware, however, that the colors are a little more muted.

I think the K-30 is the best value available in a DSLR from any brand. That would explain all the excitement. This doesn't mean it's the best purchase for a current K-5 owner.

In my K-5 IIs review on this site you may have noticed the IIs has "hidden" advantages such as 1 stop better performance in SR. Combined with the better ability to reduce noise (especially with proper PP) it effectively gives you about a 2 stop advantage in hand-held low-light shooting over the K-5. Nearly 6 months later I continue to be impressed with the resolution the IIs delivers with my lenses. As much as I like the color from my K-5 or K200D, the fact is most of the time I automatically grab my K-5 IIs.

About 6 or 7 months ago a battery grip suddenly became essential to me, so all 3 of my cameras now have one. That immediately eliminates the K-30 from contention for me. Otherwise I think it's a much wiser purchase for anyone who doesn't already have a good lens collection - but you already do.

Last edited by DSims; 04-12-2013 at 10:50 PM.
04-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I think it's like most things in life, it depends on what your using it for, half the battle is getting the right kit best suited to your needs.

Do that and you'll be one happy bunny.
04-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
In my K-5 IIs review on this site you may have noticed the IIs has "hidden" advantages such as 1 stop better performance in SR. Combined with the better ability to reduce noise (especially with proper PP) it effectively gives you about a 2 stop advantage in hand-held low-light shooting over the K-5. Nearly 6 months later I continue to be impressed with the resolution the IIs delivers with my lenses. As much as I like the color from my K-5 or K200D, the fact is most of the time I automatically grab my K-5 IIs.
Maybe a link to this review would be handy, since I have a little struggle with the SR in my K-5 II, since I noticed it is different from K-5.

Well I have K-01 wich supposed to have the same image quality as the K-30 and with good lenses that can make stunning images. Your list off lenses is making good sence on expecting to wotk excellent on the K-30. Remember that 14-bit RAW does give you some more advantage (blown hi-light recovering and working in the dark), but at the expence off larger files. Going on track those smaller files could also come in handy. On a card you can put on average around 40 % more pictures. For movieclips this is even more off a difference since the .AVI off the K-5 are huge.

Working on a 12-bit file:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/210930-wonderfull-k-01-a.html
04-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe a link to this review would be handy, since I have a little struggle with the SR in my K-5 II, since I noticed it is different from K-5.

Well I have K-01 wich supposed to have the same image quality as the K-30 and with good lenses that can make stunning images. Your list off lenses is making good sence on expecting to wotk excellent on the K-30. Remember that 14-bit RAW does give you some more advantage (blown hi-light recovering and working in the dark), but at the expence off larger files. Going on track those smaller files could also come in handy. On a card you can put on average around 40 % more pictures. For movieclips this is even more off a difference since the .AVI off the K-5 are huge.

Working on a 12-bit file:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/210930-wonderfull-k-01-a.html
hey,

I own a k-5. When using my secondary GH2 I almost always miss having the lcd screen near the shutter button. Saves battery and is also very handy for on the go adjustments. Due to the K30 not having this it would be a deal breaker for me :P

Goodluck

04-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #8

oops didnt meant to quote above,
apologies!
04-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was never able to touch the K-30 before I settled on the K-5 IIs, but I have to say all the extra buttons + top LCD are great. I love having those functions available at my fingertips without having to waste time with menus. Coming from the K100D, the extra buttons are a godsend.
04-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #10

I bought the K30 a couple months back and loved it so much I bought a K-5iis. I think the K30 might end up getting sold. The THWACK-THWACK-THWACK of the shutter was fine until I heard the K-5. Now it just sounds like an old rusty pickup truck going through the alley looking for scrap metal. I think the exuberence about the K30 is it's performance to price ratio. I haven't had the K-5iis that long, but I already notice a marked difference in sharpness. If the extra money isn't a big deal, I'd get the K-5iis and don't look back. You've got that wonderful glass.....don't hold it back.
04-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd prefer the K-5 II over the K-30.

On paper, what I like most about the K-5II vs the K-30 is the AF improvements (K5II SAFOX X, K-30 SAFOX IXi+), in particular the AF low-light sensitivity: EV -1 to 18 for the K-30 (and K-5 Classic) vs EV -3 to 18 for the K-5 II. Seems like it would be useful.

The centre AF point in the K-5II is also a very sensitive f2.8 sensor. Haven't heard any feedback about that but I guess it also can make a difference.
04-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The centre AF point in the K-5II is also a very sensitive f2.8 sensor. Haven't heard any feedback about that but I guess it also can make a difference.
Yes it can. You need fast lenses (in the range f1.4-f2.8) and low light situations and then you do get surprised about the functionality off the centre AF-point.
04-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ron, I'm not sure if this helps, but mine is the earliest user review here:
Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I was surprised to find that I was getting similar results at 1/6s on the K-5 IIs as I got at 1/13s on the K-5. These were the minimum shutter speeds where I got sharpness I considered acceptable. I could get good enough results most of the time if I was carefully trying not to shake the camera.
04-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #14

You probably find that the enthusiastic K30 users have migrated up from P&S users and as stated, the K30 is excellent value for money. The K5II users have probably migrated "up" from K5 or K7 and the differences are not exceptional. Perhaps they are also more discerning.

Personally the difference between the K30 and the K5II is hard to justify the difference in price.

[Disclaimer: I have a K5 but almost went for the K30 - the 14bit swung it for me. The K5II is not enough of a jump to persuade me to negotiate for finance from the Misses. I'm saving that discussion for a DA*300]
04-18-2013, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #15

A man who has to ask his other half- is no man at all.

"What's that,"

"It's the 645D, honey, don't worry about it."