Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Auto-Focus during Panning

Looking to upgrade ONE of my *ist bodies to possibly a K-5 IIs
I'm not sure of the terminology, so please bear with me - When focusing on action shots, the *ist's if they lose focus appear to go the wrong way most of the time (I assume it is 50% but perception is all) i.e. all the way to infinity and back from 5' to go to 4.5'
So, when tracking something like this, MK356 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! it is bl**dy annoying waiting for the lens to go all the way wrong and back again before taking this or the next shot.
Other cameras have a 3 point focussing system(?) so that as focus moves away from the central one, it gets detected by one of the outer ones and the auto-focus pulls it back (Don't quote me here - discussing general principles ONLY) in the correct direction to the centre one
Do the newer cameras like the K-5 IIs have a similar focussing system for action shots?
I've read reviews and searched here until going blind, but can't see this discussed. Not knowing the terminology may be one reason mind you.

Thanks

04-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What you experience on *ist in comparison to newer bodies is like having no auto focus at all. K5 to K5II focusing is not perfect but it works.
04-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks I had assumed it had to have been improved, just couldn't see it written anywhere
05-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
K5 II has arrived!!!

05-10-2013, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Note the K-30/K-5 II-specific new AF mode of considering neighbouring AF areas as well. This mode should help you keeping something in focus while it leaves and re-enters your target AF area.