Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do I take one for the forum?

I have been using SLR's for over 40 years and got my first DSLR, a K5, in March of 2012. For me a big learning curve from film (which is still better than digital) but I got through it. In two months #4 son and myself are taking a drive from western NY to Las Vegas to visit #3 son, doughter in law and grandkids. After that heading up to Yellowstone before hitting some sights on the way home. Heading through the San Rafael Swell area of Utah on the way out.

Now my dilemma. I have a craving for a K-5 IIs for outdoor and nature photograhy. But it may be that the much rumored full frame DSLR from Pentax in coming out soon. If it is and has no anti aliasing screen I would want that one instead. So do I wait for the possible full frame version or pull the trigger on the K-5 IIs? I already know that, with the luck I have had throughout my life, as soon as I get the K-5 IIs Pentax will announce the full frame version of their DSLR and the K-5 IIs will then drop $300 in price.

I would like to get the camera soon as I want to put it through it's paces before taking it on a long road trip. I would never take this trip without two DSLR's. In the world I operate in two is one and one is none. So do I take one for the team and get the K-5 IIs?

04-20-2013, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I already know that, with the luck I have had throughout my life...
Get the camera, but stay away from the tables once you get to Vegas...
04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There won't be a full frame until next fall at the earliest...

The most credible rumors are for a 24MP APS-C.
04-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somewhere recently Adam responded in a thread that not before 2014 for a FF. I also saw a K5II on Amazon for something like $850. So the price is wandering down. About $950 would not be bad for a IIs. I figure it will be a year before any product will be available. That, and the FF will probably be quite a bit more expensive.

04-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Get the camera, but stay away from the tables once you get to Vegas...

The tables hold no interest for me. As I told my son that last time I was out there, I wold be better off just walking down the street, opening my wallet and throwing my money up into the wind. Same results from my point of view.
04-20-2013, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I get the K-5 IIs Pentax will announce the full frame version of their DSLR
No disrespect, but if that's the case, will you immediately dash out and get your K-5 IIs, so the rest us can get our FF's a bit quicker.
04-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After that heading up to Yellowstone before hitting some sights on the way home. Heading through the San Rafael Swell area of Utah on the way out.
Planning a trip to Yellowstone for this fall and going through the same exact thought process. As others have noted best guess on a FF (if it ever happens) will be next spring. There may be a new APS-C camera before then but even that is just rumor.

I have decided to stick with the k-5 and work on getting the best glass I can for the trip. From what I have read Yellowstone is challenging because for many of the best shots you are either too close or too far away. I am trying to put together a 3 lens kit that I can carry easily in a sling bag. Currently that looks like a DA*60-250, DA*16-50 and an UWA to be determined.

I have money put aside for a new camera and if Pentax releases a new 24mp APS-C I will be strongly tempted but I have decided to put all FF thoughts on hold for at least a year.

04-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If you need a second body, grab a K-01. That'll do you until either a 24 MP APS-c or an FF come out. I use mine for the 21 ltd and 40 XS and use the K-5 for the telephoto work.
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you need a second body, grab a K-01. That'll do you until either a 24 MP APS-c or an FF come out. I use mine for the 21 ltd and 40 XS and use the K-5 for the telephoto work.
+1 I was going to say the same thing but forgot to put it in my post. Spare body, just in case, and a wide angle while you have the longer lens on the k-5. I'm planning on having the 21mm on mine at Yellowstone.
04-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been to Yellowstone 3 times for a total of 13 days. That was in 1991, 1993 and 1998. I still haven't even driven all the main roads in the park. I have yet to drive the road that goes out of the northeast section of the park. You do not go and "do" Yellowstone. It is a place you have to sit in one area and experience if you want to take it all in. We spent a whole day just in two of the geyser basins.

On one trip there, tried to take a photograph of a big bull buffalo. I was about 200 yards away and had my Tamron 300mm F2.8 on the camera. Every time I aimed the camera at him he took it as a challenge and started taking a more aggressive stance and moving towards me. I guess he thought that that big lens was an eye to eye confrontation challenging him. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and never did get that particular shot. Had the same problem with a bighorn sheep once on the road up the Big Thompson River Canyon from Loveland to Estes Park Colorado.
04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every time I aimed the camera at him he took it as a challenge and started taking a more aggressive stance and moving towards me. I guess he thought that that big lens was an eye to eye confrontation challenging him.
LOL, My DIL is a real city girl. Last time she visited here we took her out to a spot that almost always has a herd of Bighorns. We found them right off and as I set up to get some pictures, she picked a handful of wildflowers and started walking toward them holding the flowers and yelling "here sheep, here sheep". Needless to say photo opportunities ceased quickly. We have already warned her that if she tries that in Yellowstone we are all going to stand back and take video while she experiences nature first hand.
04-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy today what you need for today. Tomorrow's camera never gets here.
04-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You know what I think? I think the FF boys and girls should pledge to give $5 if Pentax has a full frame on the shelves for sale by Oct 1 of this year. There are enough of them that IF Pentax does it you would get a free camera out of the deal.

what say you guys and gals?
04-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
You know what I think? I think the FF boys and girls should pledge to give $5 if Pentax has a full frame on the shelves for sale by Oct 1 of this year. There are enough of them that IF Pentax does it you would get a free camera out of the deal.

what say you guys and gals?
I would do that. But, once he gets his FF, he has to give away the K-5IIs at random to one of the contributors. (And leftover cash is to be returned also.)
04-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
Forum Member

Had the same issue.

Now my dilemma. I have a craving for a K-5 IIs for outdoor and nature photograhy. But it may be that the much rumored full frame DSLR from Pentax in coming out soon. If it is and has no anti aliasing screen I would want that one instead. So do I wait for the possible full frame version or pull the trigger on the K-5 IIs? I already know that, with the luck I have had throughout my life, as soon as I get the K-5 IIs Pentax will announce the full frame version of their DSLR and the K-5 IIs will then drop $300 in price.
I also had the same dilemma, After waiting and waiting for news on a supposed K-3 Aps-c or FF camera, I decided that even if it was announced, it wouldn't be available till late fall or so and all the enjoyment i got from using the K-5iis would be missed. My friend also convinced me that I don't really need a 24 mp camera as this 16mp camera is already amazing and i would be waiting for reviews on the new camera as well as a sale before getting it. That would've put my new camera purchase to far out.

(As a disclaimer, I had the K-x previously so it was a big upgrade for me, i also picked up the K-01 when it was a good deal for the kit)

I ended up going thru an Amazon seller Emmy photo and got the K-5iis for 1029.00, I got my camera yesterday and boy am I excited, now all I need is some limited glass to make the upgrade worthwhile, but those have to wait a bit as I'm tapped out.