Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sensor shift

Can anyone point me in the direction of examples of architecture or interior shots showing sensor shift and non-sensor shift with this feature, to show what this feature can do in real world application? I don't have a k-5, nor do they sell them in my city of 3 million people, so I can't try it myself. The article on the front page peaked my interest in this, but the shots of a printer from 3 feet away doesn't really show me much. I am assuming it doesn't shift enough to compete with a shift lens, but I was curious to see how far it actually shifts.

04-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Can anyone point me in the direction of examples of architecture or interior shots showing sensor shift and non-sensor shift with this feature, to show what this feature can do in real world application? I don't have a k-5, nor do they sell them in my city of 3 million people, so I can't try it myself. The article on the front page peaked my interest in this, but the shots of a printer from 3 feet away doesn't really show me much. I am assuming it doesn't shift enough to compete with a shift lens, but I was curious to see how far it actually shifts.
Not entirely relevant to your question, but if you are looking for a K-5 you can get them online, I know Amazon carries them (new) for less than $750.00

Hope that helps a bit.
04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Camera Craft! They are in Rockford, not sure how far that is. There is also a workshop being held there on May 5th apparently sponsored by Pentax. They are advertising "free trial use of Pentax camera equipment"
04-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Please note that it can only shift, not tilt, so it can't straighten vertical lines and that sort of thing. Basically it allows to move around the rectangle a bit after you've locked down your tripod, so up<->down, side<->side, and rotation (straighten horizon line). So it is a bit like the crop tool in Lightroom or Photoshop (with a fixed size rectangle), but it isn't going to create any special effect or correction like a real tilting or view-camera lens on a bellows could...

04-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Please note that it can only shift, not tilt, so it can't straighten vertical lines and that sort of thing.
Do you know of a good link for more info on the tlit / shift thing? I'm interested in playing with that as well but every time I thing I understand it my brain starts to hurt.
04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you know of a good link for more info on the tlit / shift thing?
Here's a start:
Scheimpflug principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This might be a bit more user-friendly:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml
04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe a tilting sensor could be a feature enhancement for the upcoming K-whatever. Hopefully, it'll come with a decent live view implementation as well.
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

For the op there is a PentaxForum tutorial for sensor shift :

04-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
dms
Site Supporter

If it shifts--then it straightens lines--but whether the shift is significant is another story.

This has more specific info. www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40768757

If correct the shift is about 1.5 mm--I would think this is very minimal (on Nikon full frame PC lens 28mm or 35mm as I recall a maximum of 11mm shift is possible--even with the 1.5 factor Pentax dslr vs. FF).
04-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Not entirely relevant to your question, but if you are looking for a K-5 you can get them online, I know Amazon carries them (new) for less than $750.00

Hope that helps a bit.
You serious Clark?
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Welcome to Camera Craft! They are in Rockford, not sure how far that is. There is also a workshop being held there on May 5th apparently sponsored by Pentax. They are advertising "free trial use of Pentax camera equipment"
Thanks, but I think that's about two hours driving, each way.
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Please note that it can only shift, not tilt, so it can't straighten vertical lines and that sort of thing. Basically it allows to move around the rectangle a bit after you've locked down your tripod, so up<->down, side<->side, and rotation (straighten horizon line). So it is a bit like the crop tool in Lightroom or Photoshop (with a fixed size rectangle), but it isn't going to create any special effect or correction like a real tilting or view-camera lens on a bellows could...
Shift is what straightens vertical lines, not tilt.
04-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
For the op there is a PentaxForum tutorial for sensor shift :

Turn any Pentax lens into a shift lens: Composition Adjustment - YouTube
This looks just like the one I discussed in my thread topic that started this whole question.
04-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
If it shifts--then it straightens lines--but whether the shift is significant is another story.

This has more specific info. Re: Perspective Control with the K-5: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

If correct the shift is about 1.5 mm--I would think this is very minimal (on Nikon full frame PC lens 28mm or 35mm as I recall a maximum of 11mm shift is possible--even with the 1.5 factor Pentax dslr vs. FF).
Yeap, that's what I am trying to see an example of. 1.5mm isn't very much, so other than for minor adjustments in macro, I am not sure what this does for you.
04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Shift is what straightens vertical lines, not tilt.
Depends on the lines, but yes I should have been more clear...