Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

K-5 II weird noises

Hi,
my new K-5 II makes weird noises when I move/tilt it (when shut off and especially in LiveView), bit like plastic scraping on plastic. Is that normal?

The only "loose" thing I can think of would be the moveable sensor for noise reduction, but I am a bit surprised, I would expect it to be somehow locked in place when the camera is of. Something shaking around in my camera when I carry it can't be healthy ...

04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a K-7 and K-5 now. Both make a clicking noise if you flip it upside down (even when turned off). I believe that is the movable sensor. I have also noticed the noise when moving the K-5 around (quickly) in live view. I believe you are okay.
04-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, this is normal. That's how it is when a big sensor is stabilized in camera!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

My cat: K-5.

It sounds like a cat, when you scratch him behind the ear...

Brzmi jak kot, kiedy drapiesz go za uchem...

04-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by lcts Quote
Hi,
my new K-5 II makes weird noises when I move/tilt it (when shut off and especially in LiveView), bit like plastic scraping on plastic. Is that normal?

The only "loose" thing I can think of would be the moveable sensor for noise reduction, but I am a bit surprised, I would expect it to be somehow locked in place when the camera is of. Something shaking around in my camera when I carry it can't be healthy ...
Actually it's locked in place when the camera is powered on and it's loose when it's off. The movable sensor is good for Shake Reduction (and shake cleaning) and reduces camera movement blur. It has nothing to do with noise reduction.
04-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It has nothing to do with noise reduction.
Hrrm, I meant to type "shake reduction". Fingers, report to brain immediately ...

Glad to hear that's OK. Come to think of it, Nikon's VR lenses sound similar, it's just much quieter. I guess the moving elements there are smaller.

QuoteQuote:
Actually it's locked in place when the camera is powered on and it's loose when it's off.
Interesting. I would have guessed the sensor is moved by piezos, but that doesn't sound like them. How is the sensor held/moved, magnetically?
04-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by lcts Quote
Hrrm, I meant to type "shake reduction". Fingers, report to brain immediately ...

Glad to hear that's OK. Come to think of it, Nikon's VR lenses sound similar, it's just much quieter. I guess the moving elements there are smaller.
Moving glass in the lens can also be big, but that Pentax sensor array is quite a chunk.

QuoteQuote:
Interesting. I would have guessed the sensor is moved by piezos, but that doesn't sound like them. How is the sensor held/moved, magnetically?
Yes, it's a electromagnetic field.
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
Actually it's locked in place when the camera is powered on and it's loose when it's off.
To be precise the sensor is only held (controlled) when the shutter is open.

04-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
To be precise the sensor is only held (controlled) when the shutter is open.
This is most probably true, but effectively the loose sensor stops shifting around as soon as the camera is turned on.
04-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
This is most probably true, but effectively the loose sensor stops shifting around as soon as the camera is turned on.
No it doesn't, its just as lose as with power off. Unless there is something different with the K5 II compared to the previous ones.
04-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a K-5 for a short period and it occasionally made loud sounds when taking photo.

My current K-30 makes loud buzzing sound when recording a video. I rarely film and have so far experienced it twice. First time when the video was recorded and second time just few days ago.

I was trying familiarize myself with the movie mode. The buzzing is a sure turn off, and I won't be doing any vid's when I'm shooting at events. Too risky and too loud.