Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

which lense with k5 do I need

Hi,

I'm thinking to buy me a K5 (as my first DSLR), as they reached my pricelevel.
I would like to know which (sorry I'm a beginner) lense(s) you would you suggest me when I would
use my camera to shoot interieur-pictures of my Bed&breakfast guestrooms.

I can have the package
Pentax K-5 + SMC-DA 18-55mm AL WR
for 700

Would that be OK to start with or a waste of my money on that lens.

Greetings,

04-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I may offer an opinion, the 18-55 WR is a perfectly acceptable lens for what you have in mind. It is commonly acclaimed as being far in advance of the kit 18-55's offered by C/N with their package deals.

As far as a waste of money, they are virtually giving the lens away, so there is no waste. At that price it is an outstanding piece of equipment!

Buy the kit, use the lens, and see what limitations you have. You want to take a lot of interior shots, so maybe you want something wider down the track, something like the Pentax 12-24 or the Sigma 10 -20 for example.

Dont forget that every k mount lens ever made can be used directly on your k-5, as can all the vintage screw mount lenses (with an adapter) There are many bargains to be had in manual focus, high quality lenses.

Enjoy your k-5, its an outstanding camera
04-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could get that lens, but for interior shots I'd recommend the 12-24 or 10-17 fish eye.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
You could get that lens, but for interior shots I'd recommend the 12-24 or 10-17 fish eye.
I'd say the 12-24 is the better option as the fisheye can be a bit...fishy, and customers may not understand it :-)

The 12-24 is not cheap but is very versatile.

04-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
id ditch the 18-55 (unless you plan on shooting in rain/snow) and go for k5+tamron 17-50 2.8. Overall the kit lens is okay (maybe even better than the competition), but it just doesnt do it for me. This setup will probably cover the majority of your needs. Later you can get some really wide angle lens/telephoto if your kind of photography needs them.
04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If price is an issue, I'd go with the kit. I have the 10-17 fisheye and the 17-50mm 2.8 Tamron. Those are each around $400 in addition to the K5 body. You can always get the kit lens and see if it works for your purposes. If not you can sell it and go with something wider or brighter. So IMO the kit is the cheapest and safest bet to start.