Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Failing K-5 Sensor

It looks like my k-5's sensor is failing somehow. It is random, but to me it looks like readout is somehow failing as the green bars appear in random places. The k-5 is still under warranty, but I'm reluctant to send into CRIS because it has some scuffs on the bottom plate, especially one in the corner and the LCD cover is looking pretty rough. Something in the processing isn't working right. I don't think I could have caused this. What's CRIS's stance on damage to the body and warranty repairs? A $400 repair is going make the camera useless to me for some time. :/

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's still covered under warranty, I'd send it in. They probably won't replace your plate, but if the issue is with the internals, then that should be covered.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried using different memory cards?
04-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
+!. Before I'd send it in I'd try several different cards and make certain that A) the firmware is up-to-date, and B) the card was formatted in camera.

04-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
+2, other than the card, send the puppy in for service.
04-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I used to get those bars in JPG's from time to time. It could've been the card, I never really figured it out.

I guess I'm just responding because you say you're 'Somewhere'... I have a friend who lives not too far away from that pic.
04-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My first guess would be a dud card. Other options may include: overheating? Battery/power level fluctuations at image write time due to a dying battery? Strong EM interference from somewhere [HAARP , mobile phone tower or WiFi, microwave oven]?

Also do these green bars appear just in JPGs or also in your RAWs once you process them?
04-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked through some RAWs this morning. Yeah, its coming off the sensor before it hits the jpeg engine like that. Tried 3 different cards, 3 different batteries and a different lens. That was the first few things I tried. Same results. It's looking like its going back. All I can do is hope that they will help me. In the meantime, my trusty k-7 will work for the time being. I'll just have to expose more carefully now...

04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I looked through some RAWs this morning. Yeah, its coming off the sensor before it hits the jpeg engine like that. Tried 3 different cards, 3 different batteries and a different lens. That was the first few things I tried. Same results. It's looking like its going back. All I can do is hope that they will help me. In the meantime, my trusty k-7 will work for the time being. I'll just have to expose more carefully now...
It was worth asking, sorry it's the camera.
04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It was worth asking, sorry it's the camera.
Yeah, definitely worth asking because many people get a bad card and assume the camera is dying. That was my first suspicion. Too bad I was wrong.