Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Using an Android Tablet In Field

I just got done watching the video under this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/123130-hd...d-monitor.html

basically he uses a 7" monitor instead of the camera LCD to view playback via an HDMI connection.

I got tired of searching the rest of the forum articles for an answer to this question:

Can the same technique be applied using an android tablet instead of a "dumb" monitor?
In other words can I view playback in real time and/or later sift through images already taken to cull form memory card on the tablet when connected to my K5iis via hdmi out? It would save the expense and cumbersome nature of the keyboard expansion just to get a stupid SD card reader.

Can I do the same thing with an I-thingy? Obviously I'd use the on camera controls to playback/delete etc.

please tell me yes, I could finally justify buying a tablet, I think

05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No.

5 characters.
05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do something similar with my Asus 10" and Nexus 7" tablets using an Eye-Fi SD card in the camera the sends each pic immediately to the tablet of choice for preview. Its certainly not as fast as direct connect but when testing focus one big glass outside its a god-send.
05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I saw an app a few weeks back for android similar to PKTether. Note that this will only work if your android device has a USB port such as the ones on the Asus Transformer series or an OTG compatible device with the appropriate adapter

05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I am not sure if any tablet supports a HDMI input signal, so I don't think you use a tablet as a true field monitor. The Nexus 7 supports USB-OTG. You will need an inexpensive adapter cable, inexpensive software (Nexus Media Importer) and a USB SD card reader. You might be able to connect your camera as a USB drive - I haven't tried. This setup allows you to preview jpg images stored on your SD card .... If you spend some more money, you can acquire something like RawVision to view RAW files on a Nexus 7, but it is nowhere as convenient as previewing jpg images.
05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
please tell me yes, I could finally justify buying a tablet, I think
Just get a Windows netbook instead of a tablet - they aren't much bigger but unlike tablets they usually come with several hundred GB of storage and a SD card built-in. And you can then directly run PKTether or pktriggercord to interact with your K-5, so at least you will have the images come across, and camera control.

Unfortunately, not many netbooks or tablets seem to accept direct HDMI (or even component) video input. You may need to get a USB stick that takes HDMI video input from the camera and feeds it into the tablet or netbook.
05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I do something similar with my Asus 10" and Nexus 7" tablets using an Eye-Fi SD card in the camera the sends each pic immediately to the tablet of choice for preview. Its certainly not as fast as direct connect but when testing focus one big glass outside its a god-send.
Ditto but with the Transcend wifi enabled SD card.
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Ditto but with the Transcend wifi enabled SD card.
my toshiba thrive has a full sd card slot and full sized usb - it is a 10 inch screen so larger than a 7 inch, but is pretty much the only tablet out there with the full size ports. As has been mentioned, there aren't tablets with video input capability. The thrive does also have full sized hdmi out.

05-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

I also have a Toshiba AT300 tablet which has a full size SD slot and I routinely use it in the field or on vacation as a backup and viewing device. It works well and I am composing this message on it. It fits in a slot in my backpack and only weighs about a pound.
05-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Forum Member

Top Androids Containing HDMI and USB Support

Link: newsbestapps
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pigmy Quote
Top Androids Containing HDMI and USB Support

Link: newsbestapps
Android HDMI output won't do what OP wants, and that's what this link discusses. Sure these tablets will play their output on a HDTV, but you can't display the HDMI output from another device (like a K-5) on the tablet's screen.

I would have LOVED it if I could have had the equivalent of Live View on an external monitor last fall when I simultaneously played subject, photographer's assistant and photographer for a family portrait. The best I could do was rig a mirror next to the camera. It was the first time all the kids were in town at the same time for six years, and even then I only had about an hour's window before somebody had to be someplace else.