Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
quality of LCD screen

I like that the rear LCD screen on my new K5 II is slightly recessed into the body of the camera, and not flush with the back. However, when my wife bought the camera, she insisted on having screen protectors on both the LCD screens. Now, the main screen is flush with the body, due to the protector currently covering it. My question is - how good is the glass quality? Is it tough, and durable? Is it easily scratched? I haven't had it outdoors a lot yet, and am also thinking the protector might increase my chance of glare. I really want to remove it, but I won't if it really is necessary.

05-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a long - debated topic. I hate them and see no need for them. It's pretty tough and, if you are careful, leave them off the screen.
05-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax say the rear LCD is on the K-5 II/s is 'made of tempered glass to keep it free of scratches and abrasions'. Sounds like a LCD screen may be redundant as a protection device.

A cheap plastic LCD screen may also impact the improved brightness and visibility of the newer 'Air Gapless' LCD on the K-5 II.

Use of these things all depends on how you use the camera, I guess. If your camera leads a rough-and-tumble life LCD protectors may make sense.
05-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

A decent knock will certainly break a glass protector and when this happens the resulting glass splinters will damage the LCD screen under it, particularly if you start to remove the broken screen. Under controlled conditions break tests of those protector glasses certainly look good but you don't use your cam under those controlled conditions.

The same knock that will break the protector certainly can leave a mark on the camera screen but it won't be anything as bad (if at all). I have seen damage (once) to an LCD screen as a result of a broken glass protector, it was not pretty. I would stay away from them.

Greetings

05-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It happens..

I baby a lot of my stuff, but this was a quick slip of the fingers...

05-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax say the rear LCD is on the K-5 II/s is 'made of tempered glass to keep it free of scratches and abrasions'. Sounds like a LCD screen may be redundant as a protection device.

A cheap plastic LCD screen may also impact the improved brightness and visibility of the newer 'Air Gapless' LCD on the K-5 II.

Use of these things all depends on how you use the camera, I guess. If your camera leads a rough-and-tumble life LCD protectors may make sense.
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

A decent knock will certainly break a glass protector and when this happens the resulting glass splinters will damage the LCD screen under it, particularly if you start to remove the broken screen. Under controlled conditions break tests of those protector glasses certainly look good but you don't use your cam under those controlled conditions.

The same knock that will break the protector certainly can leave a mark on the camera screen but it won't be anything as bad (if at all). I have seen damage (once) to an LCD screen as a result of a broken glass protector, it was not pretty. I would stay away from them.

Greetings
The "Glass" from the LCD protectors will NOT scratch your LCD if it breaks and if you need to remove it. I have used then since the day I owned the K20D, K7, K5 and now the K30. It is a cheap and good investment as I accidentally knocked my K7 against a table the broke the protector. I removed it and there were no scratches to the actual LCD glass. I then replaced it with a new one.

I too knocked my K5 against the table and again, the LCD protector took the brunt of the force as it swung to the table corner. Again, protector broke but the "glass" just cracked and once removed, no major damaged to the LCD.

I woud put it there as it WILL NOT cause glare. The K5II has an OVF so you should be using more of the OVF then the LCD to take photos. I only use the LCD to view photos after I have taken it.
05-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The K5II has an OVF so you should be using more of the OVF then the LCD to take photos. I only use the LCD to view photos after I have taken it.
I always use the OVF for taking photos, and never live view. But I constantly use the LCD for checking composition numbers, and using menu functions, as well as viewing photos after shooting.

05-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even Gorilla glass found on tablets will scratch. An LCD protector is essential. I have scratched and cracked protectors but they have always protected the LCD.
05-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
I always use the OVF for taking photos, and never live view. But I constantly use the LCD for checking composition numbers, and using menu functions, as well as viewing photos after shooting.
That is what I do too. Don't worry about glare as it does not affect the screen at all.
05-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

ACMAXX will take a lot of abuse and protect your LCD.
05-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just to clear up a mistake of mine. It seems Pentax LCD covers are made of ABS plastic and not polycarbonate as I had thought. I have extra covers (factory orign) and bent one long ago, it felt like Polycarbonate. Well I finished the job. Its not to the best of my knowledge. It will take a tough blow however. And I suppose you don't want polycarbonate flexing in on the LCD screen itself. So it takes a blow then cracks or breaks the best it can to save the LCD. I think?