Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
Regarding the UE prices for Pentax products i make a euro/dolar parity to 1:1 usually...On B&H photovideo US site the K5 iis is 1200$..I usually translate it to 1200euro..If add VAT to 1200$ you will get around 1200euro..In my country VAT is 24% so in dolars will 1488$..
Either the american market is getting better prices than anywhere in the world because of much more orders overall or just the UE stupid VAT is the culprit..
You can get the K-5IIs from Adorama right now for $1096, but you also get a $100 Gift Certificate from Adorama. So, the final price is $996 - because nearly all of us WILL use that $100 Gift Certificate.

05-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
(As an aside, it seems that AfterShot Pro does not support the raw files from the K5IIs. I have finally had to learn Lightroom which isn't all bad)
You can use exiftool to rename the camera model number in the exif data to a K5 and then aftershot pro works just fine. Though I have been playing with lightroom because I am tired of doing that every time.
05-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
You can use exiftool to rename the camera model number in the exif data to a K5 and then aftershot pro works just fine. Though I have been playing with lightroom because I am tired of doing that every time.
Does that also work with the S version?
You probably would get an image but what i'm worried about is that the algorithm that is used is based on the K5, so a camera that uses an AA filter.
05-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Agreed. But to reduce moire, you don't need to mix all four together to the same extent as the AA filter does. You can select the degree of blur to just barely remove the moire, and only in the area of the image where it occurs, and thus retain more detail. More detail is what I want. I shoot a lot of birds at great distances, and cropping can be done to a greater degree with more detail retained. I also shoot a lot of scenery, and greater detail can mean more realistic images.
Indeed you can be specific with removing the moire but you need to blur more though then the AA filter does.
AA filter blur is about 1 pixel or so right? if you blur that much with a blur tool you are basically mixing pixels for 50% it reduces the effect but it's not enough to remove it. It's already some time when i had to use it so can't remember but it wasn't a low value.
Beside that there are kinds of moire like pattern moire that are harder to remove.
The S version does a good job though and often it's not a problem at all but you do get more moire with it then with the normal version.

As for sharpness and greater details, when you're comparing unedited files there is indeed a difference but when edited you need to look good to see the difference at 100% zoom so therefore i don't believe there is a difference you can normally see.
Unless you don't edit your images of course, but if that is the case then going with the normal version would be better, slightly less sharpness is less off an image breaker then moiré if you ask me.

05-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Does that also work with the S version?
You probably would get an image but what i'm worried about is that the algorithm that is used is based on the K5, so a camera that uses an AA filter.
I have the s version and haven't noticed any issues, I am not the most skilled in the world however.
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
There is no difference in the sensors. All three use the same sensor. The difference is in the AF engine and associated hardware, and in the case of the "s" variant, removal of the AA blurring filter. And that's all the AA filter is, it blurs four pixels (2g, 1r, 1b) together to avoid moire effects. There is plenty of free software that can be made to lightly blur either the whole image or just the area with moire if it pops up. My savings are towards the K5 IIs.
hundreds of shots later, not one example I can show of Moire with my k5iis

good luck with your decision.... I would buy the iis all over again, very pleased

thanks

randy
05-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You can get the K-5IIs from Adorama right now for $1096, but you also get a $100 Gift Certificate from Adorama. So, the final price is $996 - because nearly all of us WILL use that $100 Gift Certificate.
Really? Where does the gift cert show up? I'm seeing the $100 instant rebate from Pentax (taking the price down to $1096) but not another goodie added atop that.

05-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
Really? Where does the gift cert show up? I'm seeing the $100 instant rebate from Pentax (taking the price down to $1096) but not another goodie added atop that.
You have to look at the BUNDLE, not the Camera body alone. Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body - Bundle 3 12050 Z3
There are 4 items listed:
  1. Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body - Bundle - with
  2. Adorama $100.00 Gift Certificate,
  3. Tiffen DFX Essentials Digital Filter Software for Win/Mac, &
  4. Class On Demand Black Card
All for $1096 with FS in the US. So, you get the $100 Gift Card for Adorama via email and can use it almost immediately thereby reducing the cost to $996 plus you get an online course and a box of filter software to boot.
05-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
You have to look at the BUNDLE, not the Camera body alone. Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body - Bundle 3 12050 Z3
There are 4 items listed:
  1. Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body - Bundle - with
  2. Adorama $100.00 Gift Certificate,
  3. Tiffen DFX Essentials Digital Filter Software for Win/Mac, &
  4. Class On Demand Black Card
All for $1096 with FS in the US. So, you get the $100 Gift Card for Adorama via email and can use it almost immediately thereby reducing the cost to $996 plus you get an online course and a box of filter software to boot.

You understand this 100$ gift cert is up to "Duration: May thru June, 2013" of the Pentax rebate..So this offer is temporary...Also i don't see the other rebate that gets to 996$

Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body - Bundle 3 12050 Z3

It says final price is 1096$..
On the other hand the Adorama Gift Certificate card is different than Pentax rebate ?
05-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
You understand this 100$ gift cert is up to "Duration: May thru June, 2013" of the Pentax rebate..So this offer is temporary...Also i don't see the other rebate that gets to 996$

Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body - Bundle 3 12050 Z3

It says final price is 1096$..
On the other hand the Adorama Gift Certificate card is different than Pentax rebate ?
It's really not that hard. The price YOU pay is $1096 with free shipping in the US.

You get a $100 store credit from Adorama. If you were going to buy anything else from them this is worth $100 off the camera.

Total real cost to you now is $996,

It isn't complicated.
05-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Ok.. I see..Thanks for clarification.Another 100$ voucher..
05-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's really not that hard. The price YOU pay is $1096 with free shipping in the US.

You get a $100 store credit from Adorama. If you were going to buy anything else from them this is worth $100 off the camera.

Total real cost to you now is $996,

It isn't complicated.
Thanks for limning it out for the slightly slower among us -- of course I noticed the bundle 30 seconds after posting. Duh. Come to think of it, my boy and I are going to Seabase in August and so a nice little Dicapac case would not go amiss... Funny how easy it is to identify photography products that you didn't know you needed, but it turns out you absolutely do.
05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
Inactive Account

K5IIs or K5II for Jpeg shooter

Most of my work is shot jpeg. I use iPhoto for post processing. Mainly shoot landscapes, cityscapes, flower closeups. Rarely use tri-pod,Love the feel of K-5 using K-x now.
So, K-5II or IIs??
05-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CheryleT Quote
Most of my work is shot jpeg. I use iPhoto for post processing. Mainly shoot landscapes, cityscapes, flower closeups. Rarely use tri-pod,Love the feel of K-5 using K-x now.
So, K-5II or IIs??
Hard to say.

One the one hand you shouldn't have too many false colour problems with the K-5 IIs because images need to be sharp at the pixel level for these problems to occur and that's not easy to accomplish without a tripod.

On the other hand you are shooting JPGs so if there is a moiré issue or other problem it may be harder to remove it in post production and you will definitely not be able to benefit from future advances in moiré removal (like RAW shooters do).

My feeling is that if you are happy to shoot JPG only, the K-5 II is more than sufficient. Just use a slightly higher sharpening level and you'll be fine.

I'm a pixel peeper and I still chose the K-5 II because it is the right choice from a technical perspective.
05-09-2013, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CheryleT Quote
So, K-5II or IIs??
K30 would be a very good option as well and put the money you save in a better lens, that would yield better result then camera upgrade.