Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax k5 problem with fully charged battery?

Hi, I have had my k5 for a few months now, not long into owning it, it started doing this weird thing where the shutter would release, but not take a photo on any button that I pressed, usually if I put the camera into live view or took a bunch of photos with the flash and wore the battery down a bit then it would stop after a few minutes. Today after charging the battery, it did it again, but this time it was happening continuously if I put the camera into live view, I had to take the battery out for it to stop, turning the switch to off position did nothing. The shutter was also going off when I changed the shutter speed and aperture. I recorded a video of what happens, it was going on for about 20 minutes, but of course it finally stopped towards the end of the video lol .. But you can get an idea of what it does.

It only happens after I charge the battery, and usually goes away after 'wearing down' the battery (not sure if that's the right terminology lol) .. Any idea what the issue is? It never happened with my kr.

05-07-2013, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird. Have you tried a full reset of the camera? Take out the battery. Leave it out for 24 h. Insert a new fully-charged battery. Reset all factory settings.

Note:
-Try another battery to ensure that it is not a battery issue.
-Resetting the factory/default setting might pick up some odd setting inadvertantly inserted.

Hope that the suggestions might help.

You could try to call CRK. I found that I cannot get tech assistance over the phone, but I read a couple of Aussie Pentaxians who walked to the work CRK workshop in Melbourne.
05-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have been searching online all day and just found this, and it describes what is happening to my camera .. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/152033-k5-mirror-flops-smoking-gun-found.html ...

Since that thread was posted 2 years ago, does anyone know if there is an update? Have pentax said anything about this issue at all? Does anyone else currently have this issue? And most importantly is there a way to fix it? Because damn is it annoying lol
05-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you got latest firmware?

05-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've never personally had the problem, but reports of the problem still seem to pop up from time to time. The charger seems to over-charge the battery a bit.

Just be cautious and let your battery sit overnight after charging to let the extra energy in it 'cook-off' a bit before using it. Or better yet, get another battery, keep both charged, and swap the batteries around in use so that you never have to put a 'hot' battery in the camera. Having a couple of batteries around - even eBay cheapies - is always useful, if only to avoid this problem.
05-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hi Sarah

It is a known problem with early production K-5 models. Pentax know about it. I had the same problem with my cam. You have to return it to C R Kennedy (Pentax Agent in Oz) and they will replace the main circuit (main board) It has a faulty component on it.

Greetings
05-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by sarahparish91 Quote
Hi, I have had my k5 for a few months now, not long into owning it, it started doing this weird thing where the shutter would release, but not take a photo on any button that I pressed, usually if I put the camera into live view or took a bunch of photos with the flash and wore the battery down a bit then it would stop after a few minutes. Today after charging the battery, it did it again, but this time it was happening continuously if I put the camera into live view, I had to take the battery out for it to stop, turning the switch to off position did nothing. The shutter was also going off when I changed the shutter speed and aperture. I recorded a video of what happens, it was going on for about 20 minutes, but of course it finally stopped towards the end of the video lol .. But you can get an idea of what it does.

It only happens after I charge the battery, and usually goes away after 'wearing down' the battery (not sure if that's the right terminology lol) .. Any idea what the issue is? It never happened with my kr. Pentax k5 problem - YouTube
The first thing I would do is make sure you have the latest firmware version. The current version is V1.14. To check which version you have hold down the menu button when switching the camera on.
To update the firmware see here Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
05-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Hi

It is sound advice to charge your K-5 with the latest FW but I am afraid for the problem of what is commonly known as the mirror flop syndrome it won't make any difference. The camera needs a new main board fitted. C R Kennedy have fitted mine with a new one and I understand others and I don't think they will argue about it. By now this problem has been well documented.

Greetings

07-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've had this problem for a while now and it is slowly getting worse, in fact it makes the camera virtually unusable at times, but it's not just the fresh battery but also ambient temperature that seems to cause it, a warm battery is akin to a fresh battery I guess. Will Pentax repair a 2+ year old camera with this issue? Are they going to replace it with a new model anytime soon? It's a great camera otherwise but I need to sort either it, or it's replacement.
07-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
I've had this problem for a while now
Do you have a couple of batteries to use and test the camera with? Some eBay cheapies could be useful to get to see if it is a battery issue or a body issue.
07-31-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the original Pentax unit and three cheapies, although it's two now as one wouldn't hold its charge. When you have an event to cover you need to start with a fully charged battery rather than start messing about with with them half way through.
08-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #12

Hi I had the same problem with my K5, in the beginning it happens sometimes but it got worser and worser, (after about a year and 15.000 clicks) my local camera shop send it in to PENTAX and after 6 weeks :-( I got a brand new K5 body :-) tip write a letter were you explain what happens and refer to the mirror flops issue.

Succes