Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Old Saitex Lens wonīt focus?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello!
Thought i should try to see if anyone can help me with an old Sitex 28mm f2.8 lens that i bought on e-bay for almost nothing (15$).

The problem is that the lens wonīt focus. No matter how much i turn the focus ring it isnīt even close. Itīs like the focus is just a couple of inches in front of the lens.
I have used several manual lenses before without any problem so my settings should be right, maybe the lens is broken?

The only difference to the other manual lenses iīve used is that this one doesnīt have the "A" mode (can you say that?) on the aperture ring.

05-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
I use a Pentax K-5
05-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Can you see the optical group moving when you turn the focus ring? There might be some screws loose somewhere, I'm not familiar with that particular lens, but my guess would be under the rubber grip.
05-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tha "A" mode has nothing to do with focus...

Did you buy it in United Kingdom ? There is a seller "xyz1958" who is selling the same but modified lens :

"The lens is in good condition with only a few marks to the front edges of the body.The optics are clear.It was fitted to a Minolta xd5 camera"

Perhaps the flange length is not respected...

05-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
No I bought my lens here in sweden. The lens seems to be in very good condition. I can see a slight change in focus when i turn the focus ring.
Itīs like i need some adapter to get the right distance to the sensor?
There are no connections on the lens like those i have on my other lenses.
05-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Extension tubes are made for bringing a closer focus, but if you can't focus on infinity it's worthless...
05-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It looks like an unmodified K mount, I don't see there being anything that would indicate it being modified in any way. If you are able to turn the ring from the infinity mark to the minimum focus distance smoothly and the optics move in and out accordingly, the only other possibility is someone has attempted to repair it and did something wrong. A 28mm isn't going to need to move much to focus from 0.3m to infinity, you should have about 8mm of movement across the range.

05-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The focus ring turns smoothly with the right resistance so i guess the lens is broken or just not working with my K-5.
I will let a friend try it on his NEX-6 with a Pentax K-adapter.