Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yes - I see a big difference in not only sharpness, but overall clarity. I hesitated for a long time upgrading since the consensus I read was that it wasn't enough of an upgrade from the K-5 to justify the expense. Everyone has different likes to what they want to accomplish with their final image. I don't know why, but sharpness and clarity are paramount for me. Maybe it's because as I am getting older my eyes are getting more tired - I don't know.

When I received my IIs last week, I set aside most of a day to make a side by side comparison of my K-5 and the IIs. I had already decided that if the IIs wasn't much of a difference, I was going to return it. I went into this with a totally open mind. Also, being the body and controls are all the same, there was really no "new camera smell" to get over. I was serious about the image output only. Like Doc says about his test of his drawing, I have a couple test subjects out and around my property that I have been using for years - I know what I am looking for when looking at an image. And yes, I pixel peep every one of my images to full size.

The difference is real - very real. This is exactly what I wanted. I know I've already said it, but it is all about the sharpness and clarity. Now I have mostly what I consider high end glass - did my initial testing with my FA*300 4.5 and DA* 60-250. Did the images blow my K-5 out of the water? Certainly not. But the difference is well worth the cost in my opinion. I don't know if the same difference would be realized with lower end glass, but I can add this. My worst lens as far as IQ is my Sigma 50-500 (Bigma). I'm not saying it is a bad lens at all, but one that does need to be stopped down some plus for me has to be tripod mounted. I had the Bigma dialed in on my K-5 where f8 was giving me very good images under the right conditions. f9 was only a fraction better so I settled on f8 to maintain the highest shutter speed I could. When I dialed in the Bigma with the IIs, I actually needed to be at f9 to get the best out of it. What I am saying is the IIs is that sharp that it might be a little unforgiving with lesser quality glass. Not a bad thing at all. To add to this, I just received a DAL 55-300 for my wife to use - at f8 it is fantastic.

I almost feel guilty as I was so excited about the images out of my new IIS I rambled on to Doc and Amy (pearsaab) about it and shared some of my initial images. Doc and Amy both ordered one in the next couple days. It looks like Doc loves his - I hope Amy gets the same results also.

I know these couple images will mean nothing since I don't have any direct comparison images to share, but these are a couple I sent those guys the first day. Like Doc said - almost makes your eyes bleed, or what I like to say is they make the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up......these shots were literally "off the hip" with the DA* 60-250.

I already told my wife it was all your fault!

05-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by docrwm Quote
i already told my wife it was all your fault!
lol
05-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #33
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too share the observations with the IIs with regards to output out of the camera. Sharper, more textured, more brilliant. Biggest difference with the FA Ltd lenses and the DA 40 XS that I have. I am yet to see what other lenses like the 12-24 and Tamron 28-75/70-200 will produce on it. But I'm sure it will be just as impressive. Definitely a difference even from the K-5, despite it being the same sensor.
05-09-2013, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
GRRRRRRRRR .... I am K5 owner and i tried many times to make myself understand that the K5 IIS is too expensive is all about the photographer and not the camera and now i'm reading this thread..Why why why!!..if i end up buying the IIs and throwing 1500$//1100euro you guys are at fault... :P :P

05-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 is a fine camera. I had it also and it did a stellar job. The photographer still determines the greatest part of the results, and between the versions with and without the AA filter, it's not a great deal that PP cannot handle. So all the K-5 owners out there, don't fret.
05-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The K-5 is a fine camera. I had it also and it did a stellar job. The photographer still determines the greatest part of the results, and between the versions with and without the AA filter, it's not a great deal that PP cannot handle. So all the K-5 owners out there, don't fret.
As I said, I really dislike doing post with photographs. The K-5IIs looks like it is going to cut down on that by a large percentage. The K-5 is a fine camera, part of why I did not switch to a D7100 is that the K-5 ergonomics and menus/buttons are absolutely wonderful compared to the craziness of the Nikon setup and I get to keep that in the IIs.
05-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As I said, I really dislike doing post with photographs. The K-5IIs looks like it is going to cut down on that by a large percentage. The K-5 is a fine camera, part of why I did not switch to a D7100 is that the K-5 ergonomics and menus/buttons are absolutely wonderful compared to the craziness of the Nikon setup and I get to keep that in the IIs.
Good point - not having the learning curve of a new camera. And I agree - the K-5/IIs fits my hands so well - they are king in ergonomics.

Let me ask you this Doc - do you think the SD card is easier to remove in the IIs? I don't have my K-5 anymore to compare, but I could swear they moved the card slot a little bit away from the card door (toward the rear of the camera). I seem to have a much easier time grabbing hold of the card from the IIs.

05-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Good point - not having the learning curve of a new camera. And I agree - the K-5/IIs fits my hands so well - they are king in ergonomics.

Let me ask you this Doc - do you think the SD card is easier to remove in the IIs? I don't have my K-5 anymore to compare, but I could swear they moved the card slot a little bit away from the card door (toward the rear of the camera). I seem to have a much easier time grabbing hold of the card from the IIs.
Stan,
Funny you should ask. That same things struck me last night when I was pulling and replacing the SD card many times with updating firmware, looking at pics on the monitor, etc. I thought it might be simply variation between individual cameras in my case. The IIs does seem easier both in getting to it and in pulling it out once I have the SD Card gripped.
05-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #39
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally have found no difference in the ease of removing SD card between the K-5 classic and the IIs. It's essentially the same mould and build. I still have to flick the SD card to have it eject far enough out of the slot to ease the gripping and removal stages of getting the card out. But it hardly bothers me. The technique for flicking the card out with my thumb has streamlined the card ejection process.
05-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I personally have found no difference in the ease of removing SD card between the K-5 classic and the IIs. It's essentially the same mould and build. I still have to flick the SD card to have it eject far enough out of the slot to ease the gripping and removal stages of getting the card out. But it hardly bothers me. The technique for flicking the card out with my thumb has streamlined the card ejection process.
Mine was never tough, but the IIs seems easier. Perhaps it is, as I thought, variation between cameras and not models.
05-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ugh. This thread is not doing me any favors.

Like they say on the web - "Some things can't be un-seen".
Since I have two K5 cameras, I'd hate to upgrade, buy another two cameras, and then a few months down the road the new Pentax DSLR comes along.

I don't like selling things that are used since no one ever seems to be happy when you sell them something used. I've had good sales here on Pentax Forums, but I would have to sell my older K5 cameras to justify the purchases.

I think I am *stuck* because I shoot with two cameras these days.

I know, no one is going to feel sorry for me that I can't upgrade to two k5IIs cameras because I already have two K5!
05-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ugh. This thread is not doing me any favors.

Like they say on the web - "Some things can't be un-seen".
Since I have two K5 cameras, I'd hate to upgrade, buy another two cameras, and then a few months down the road the new Pentax DSLR comes along.

I don't like selling things that are used since no one ever seems to be happy when you sell them something used. I've had good sales here on Pentax Forums, but I would have to sell my older K5 cameras to justify the purchases.

I think I am *stuck* because I shoot with two cameras these days.

I know, no one is going to feel sorry for me that I can't upgrade to two k5IIs cameras because I already have two K5!
Now that I have a K-5IIs I do feel sorry for you being stuck. Does that help

But seriously, if I can be serious for a minute, the K-5 is a fine camera. If you really, REALLY, want FF then wait until September. I know, they keep saying not soon. Let's face it Pentax lies. I think that somewhere around September, but in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we'll see a new body or 3.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-09-2013 at 06:08 AM.
05-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

You know something that we don't?

Just kidding - I feel the same way the few times I buy a new body. My luck is either the price drops dramatically 31 days after I buy, or like you say - something new that I would rather have comes out.

Myself, I am usually not an early adopter of anything - usually stay one step behind since the savings are usually significant. But in this case, I don't think I would want a newer model. 16mp with the APS-C sensor is right where I want to be. I like the APS-C for the crop factor since I shoot primarily long glass. 16mp is enough for me also - can print as large as I want for myself. Maybe a new version from Pentax, if there ever is one, might have some more features, but at this point I don't see what they could possibly do to the 16mp APS-C sensor that could top that of the IIs for my use and satisfaction.

And I agree with you somewhat about selling used gear - but remember that KEH is always an option. You'll only get 60%-65% of what the used market value is, but it is always an option.
05-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

You know how it always rains right after you wash your car? The same principle applies to new gear. Buy that IIs, Lauren. Take one for the team. The rest of us will get the next big release that much sooner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
after getting the K5IIs, I don't have any desire any longer to upgrade my dslr.
Right. Save the money for lenses!

05-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
You know how it always rains right after you wash your car? The same principle applies to new gear. Buy that IIs, Lauren. Take one for the team. The rest of us will get the next big release that much sooner!

Right. Save the money for lenses!
K-5IIs + A50/1.2 - show off