Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have an answer to your question.....but I am really looking forward to hearing about your results tomorrow. K-5IIs + 70-200 2.8 should be a killer combo!

05-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I completely agree with your excitement of the k5iis over the k5. The images just have more pop to them... all the lenses that I love b/c of their 3d effect are that much better. And the main reason I upgraded, the better AF in low light, has been all that I wanted.

If I had a chance to do it again - no question - the k5iis will be mine!
05-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Another thing, are the ISO steps different in the II/IIs than in the K-5 Original? Seems to me there are more steps incrementally up to the max than there were but I already put the K-5 away for shipping.
You can set either camera to full stop, 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop ISO increments. It's in the Custom menu settings.
05-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
You can set either camera to full stop, 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop ISO increments. It's in the Custom menu settings.
Thanks, I thought I had set them up identically but they must be different.

05-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #65
Pentaxian

This thread is a bit of a revelation. I'm very happy with my K5 for handling and speed, but the AF leaves much to be desired. I shoot with a DA*300, birds and wildlife, and am throwing too many away due to oof. Anyone have experience with this combined with the IIs, compared to the K5?

I was thinking of getting something in the fall, but don't like paying new released prices for things, which would put my next body purchase into this time next year. Unless I buy an IIs.
05-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
This thread is a bit of a revelation. I'm very happy with my K5 for handling and speed, but the AF leaves much to be desired. I shoot with a DA*300, birds and wildlife, and am throwing too many away due to oof. Anyone have experience with this combined with the IIs, compared to the K5?

I was thinking of getting something in the fall, but don't like paying new released prices for things, which would put my next body purchase into this time next year. Unless I buy an IIs.
Hunt's has a sale through today thst puts the IIs <$900. There is athread in thr Price Watch section about it.
05-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote

My main lens I use is the FA* 300 4.5 and attempt some wildlife just about every day. Without going into a whole rave again, I can honestly say that the focus accuracy and focus consistency is greatly improved. I had no real reason to upgrade my K-5 except for the frustration of those 2 items. I've only had the IIs for less than a week now, but will tell you that every shot I've taken so far has been right on as far as focus. That alone has made me so happy that the upgrade was worth it.

05-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Hunt's has a sale through today thst puts the IIs <$900. There is athread in thr Price Watch section about it.
I saw that and the adorama bundle, both very tempting...the AF seems amazing and well worth the upgrade if I can get it on amazon (I have some gift cards)...then again I could use the gift cards for a new grip. Maybe it is time to sell some stuff collecting dust on the marketplace.

All this thread has done is inspire CBA.
05-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #69

That was my reaction when I got the IIs. OMG. I've been using it for aerial photography with the DA* 60-250 and the details are awesome! It's been 6 months of sharp pictures and I'm still amazed by the detail! I also use a K5 as a backup but I will get rid of it and buy another IIs, it's just that good. For me it does justifies the upgrade on both my cameras. I simply cannot give my clients pics from the K5 if I'm giving them pics from the IIs. You can clearly see the difference. The IIs is just a great camera.

Last edited by CRPhoto; 05-12-2013 at 08:17 AM.
05-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ugh. I don't need to keep reading this thread.
Last week the D-FA 100mm WR, this week will be the Sigma 85mm f/1.4
I don't need the week after to be TWO K5IIs cameras!!!!
05-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ugh. I don't need to keep reading this thread.
Last week the D-FA 100mm WR, this week will be the Sigma 85mm f/1.4
I don't need the week after to be TWO K5IIs cameras!!!!
Here, I'll see if I can help. Jut buy one K-5IIs. There, that was simple
05-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #72
Forum Member

Here, I'll see if I can help. Jut buy one K-5IIs. There, that was simple
Yes i agree..Without OLPF it feels more detail also at High ISO...

PS: When FF comes out i am sure that you will want those "legends" so i can buy a second hand bargain K-5iis :P
05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stan had asked about my K-5IIs and Tamron 70-200 at soccer. Yesterday was my first outing with the K-5IIs at soccer. Still working at my technique but this is the 1st photo I took, no sharpening, edited for size and a wee bit for exposure. The lens was NOT micro adjusted on the K-5IIs but required a -1 on the K-5. It was taken from past the other end's goal with the rig on a monopod. Not cropped either, this is the entire image.
Attached Images

05-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Nice and crisp Doc! I'm curious if you re-sized your image enough before uploading through the forum
05-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Nice and crisp Doc! I'm curious if you re-sized your image enough before uploading through the forum
Not sure Stan. I'll have to look. I don't upload images to the forum much, so I touched up exposure and had LR generate a JPG from the RAW and uploaded the resulting image.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-12-2013 at 02:45 PM.