Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 06:10 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5IIs - OMG

I've been shooting with my K-5 for 18 months, and before that it was the K-r and before that the K-x. Other than AF with sports I've been pretty happy with the K-5. Great battery life, good colors, responsive, intuitive interface, ergonomics that beat every other equivalent camera from other brands I have touched hands down, plenty fast, etc. Sharpness and micro adjustments to lenses have been an issue for me, particularly because I just do not like sitting in front of lightroom fiddling with sharpness, radius, detail, masking, etc. ad nauseum. Excuse me if I think it ought to be sharp out of the camera.

So, I waited for the K-5IIs to drop <$1k. It's $996 at Adorama with the $100 instant rebate and a $100 Gift Card for Adorama (like I'm not going to spend more there in the future ). I ordered it over the weekend and it arrived today.

I have played with it taking photos of my standard test chart - a wall of drawings by my children I've shot that wall with every camera, every lens, and every combo over the past couple years. With flash, without, etc. I KNOW that wall of drawings. I just shot it with the K-5IIs and WOW. No adjustment to the lens. No sharpening. Just point, wait for focus confirmation, and shoot. The images are staggeringly sharp. So sharp I feel like my eyes might bleed.

If this holds up with other lenses, outdoors in natural light, etc. this may well be the best camera purchase I have ever made. Brilliant is the best word I can think of right now to describe it. Absolutely brilliant.

05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy it!

While I brood in jealousy.
05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Excuse me if I think it ought to be sharp out of the camera.
You're excused!

Enjoy the new camera, but don't go around acting too excited about your IIs, as you tend to influence others (see the recent raft of new Q-sers and K-01sers all over the place).
05-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
You're excused!

Enjoy the new camera, but don't go around acting too excited about your IIs, as you tend to influence others (see the recent raft of new Q-sers and K-01sers all over the place).
I'll try to curb my enthusiasm.

05-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Enjoy it!

While I brood in jealousy.
Enjoy the new camera. You probably need to readjust your sharpening settings w/ the K5IIs over your previous cameras. That's what I did anyway, to tune down the sharpening quite a bit, and most time don't need much sharpening at all.
05-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been shooting with my K-5 for 18 months, and before that it was the K-r and before that the K-x. Other than AF with sports I've been pretty happy with the K-5. Great battery life, good colors, responsive, intuitive interface, ergonomics that beat every other equivalent camera from other brands I have touched hands down, plenty fast, etc. Sharpness and micro adjustments to lenses have been an issue for me, particularly because I just do not like sitting in front of lightroom fiddling with sharpness, radius, detail, masking, etc. ad nauseum. Excuse me if I think it ought to be sharp out of the camera.

So, I waited for the K-5IIs to drop <$1k. It's $996 at Adorama with the $100 instant rebate and a $100 Gift Card for Adorama (like I'm not going to spend more there in the future ). I ordered it over the weekend and it arrived today.

I have played with it taking photos of my standard test chart - a wall of drawings by my children I've shot that wall with every camera, every lens, and every combo over the past couple years. With flash, without, etc. I KNOW that wall of drawings. I just shot it with the K-5IIs and WOW. No adjustment to the lens. No sharpening. Just point, wait for focus confirmation, and shoot. The images are staggeringly sharp. So sharp I feel like my eyes might bleed.

If this holds up with other lenses, outdoors in natural light, etc. this may well be the best camera purchase I have ever made. Brilliant is the best word I can think of right now to describe it. Absolutely brilliant.
awesome...mine will be here tomorrow...guess that means you won't be jumping ship...yeh!!!
05-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Enjoy the new camera. You probably need to readjust your sharpening settings w/ the K5IIs over your previous cameras. That's what I did anyway, to tune down the sharpening quite a bit, and most time don't need much sharpening at all.
Would you mind explaining that? I haven't adjusted the JPG settings on the K-5 nor the K-5IIs. They're both factory standard and the difference so far in the IIs is one I like and have no intention of tuning down. But, I am open to learning.

05-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
awesome...mine will be here tomorrow...guess that means you won't be jumping ship...yeh!!!
No. Math is on Pentax's side now. I have too much invested in lenses to move without SIGNIFICANT financial loss. I am still PO'd at how they are doing this, but my wife pointed out that I owe Pentax nothing, as they appear to see their relationship to me, but I do enjoy photography, really like their ergonomics, and they have a camera that addresses most of my previous concerns. So, I'll stay - for now.

I'll sell the K-5 (which is in excellent shape) along with some other gear and offset some of the cost for moving to the K-5IIs. I've done that with every move up before and it's made a good difference. I'll probably put the K-5, non-Pentax grip, FA50/1.4, M200, Quantary 28-80, a sling bag that is basically unused, an extra battery case for the TR-III, and maybe the K300/4 that I just don't use up on the marketplace once I am certain that the K-5IIs is good to go.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-08-2013 at 08:48 PM.
05-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Would you mind explaining that? I haven't adjusted the JPG settings on the K-5 nor the K-5IIs. They're both factory standard and the difference so far in the IIs is one I like and have no intention of tuning down. But, I am open to learning.
Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean to adjust settings on the camera, but in the software I use for processing the photos. In my case it's the Adobe CS6. Normally I shoot in RAW w/ Pentax, and I leave all settings at middle, use Natural mode for all my Pentax cameras.
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean to adjust settings on the camera, but in the software I use for processing the photos. In my case it's the Adobe CS6. Normally I shoot in RAW w/ Pentax, and I leave all settings at middle, use Natural mode for all my Pentax cameras.
Ah, thanks. In the past I have found myself sharpening most of the photos out of my K-5 via LR3.6. I just don't see that as a need with the images I have gotten so far with the K-5IIs
05-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow..really that much better than your K5?
Interesting.
05-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wow..really that much better than your K5?
Interesting.
Yes. It really is - so far. I am downloading v1.04 of the firmware as I type this. But with 1.00 that it came with the images of my daughters artwork are just incredible. I've been corresponding with Stan (Stormtech) who got his last week and I think he's seeing the same thing.
05-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, I just said that I wouldn't do the ii or iis and then I see this. How's the moire issue on non-landscape pictures?
05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Well, I just said that I wouldn't do the ii or iis and then I see this. How's the moire issue on non-landscape pictures?
Too soon for me to tell honestly. I've had it 4 hours - almost, it's dark, and I'm wearing sunglasses.
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Too soon for me to tell honestly. I've had it 4 hours - almost, it's dark, and I'm wearing sunglasses.
Haha. I understand. Let me know as you get into it. I have some amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and I am thinking I may want that two camera setup for most of my weddings this year. I am thinking I could go tele on the k5 and wide on the iis to avoid the moire issue.