Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reid Reviews on K5IIs just out

For all those K5IIs shooters, and loving it, Reid Reviews has just issued his latest comments...
Go get it!
Welcome to ReidReviews

05-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
It might have been fun reading without all those hoops "user name" - "password", too bad....
05-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a paid subscription site. Too many others that are free and, I imagine, equally informative.
05-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

LOL - I'm glad I'm not the only one that could not be bothered signing up etc. Pity they don't provide a link to article from latest news too.
What can I say - I'm lazy - might do it later.

05-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Which lenses used for the review

I imagine he shot mainly with the Limited's - FA, DA Limited's...

or did he mix any of the other lines of Pentax lenses?
05-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Kiwi Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I imagine he shot mainly with the Limited's - FA, DA Limited's...
I am a subscriber to Reid Reviews, and enjoy reading them - Sean Reid is accurate, informative, and provides in depth technical analysis. Having said that, the site isn't for everyone and has more of a Rangefinder Focus than DSLR.

Some years ago he did a in-depth review of the K5 and had followed it up with several K5 field use articles. He was very complimentary of the K5. His review (and Steve Huff's) were some of the reasons I swapped from Nikon and brought a K5 and associated lenses - a very good fit for my photography.

The current K5 IIs review uses the DA35 Macro Limited lens and also compliments the camera and it's abilities. He does point out the weaknesses against competition, but that is typical of Sean, in my experience he is very even handed in his analysis.

That is all I can say - there are a set of conditions for subscription about non disclosure - and I respect Sean's right to earn a living . I have been happy with my subscription and have recently renewed it - I like his stye of writing. He has some free articles posted on Luminous Landscape if you want to check whether it is for you.

It was a good review for the K5 IIs, and now has me thinking seriously about upgrading from my K5.

Ross
05-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks

I'm aware of his non-disclosure agreement having subscribed when he reviewed the K10D. This helps fill in a bit to how he approached the review... although using only one lens if I understand correctly, is an interesting way to go about it, I would have enjoyed hearing that he used a few others as well - the DA35 macro is no slouch at all though. Sounds good to me, I may subscribe to catch up sooner or later.

Cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I am a subscriber to Reid Reviews, and enjoy reading them - Sean Reid is accurate, informative, and provides in depth technical analysis. Having said that, the site isn't for everyone and has more of a Rangefinder Focus than DSLR.

Some years ago he did a in-depth review of the K5 and had followed it up with several K5 field use articles. He was very complimentary of the K5. His review (and Steve Huff's) were some of the reasons I swapped from Nikon and brought a K5 and associated lenses - a very good fit for my photography.

The current K5 IIs review uses the DA35 Macro Limited lens and also compliments the camera and it's abilities. He does point out the weaknesses against competition, but that is typical of Sean, in my experience he is very even handed in his analysis.

That is all I can say - there are a set of conditions for subscription about non disclosure - and I respect Sean's right to earn a living . I have been happy with my subscription and have recently renewed it - I like his stye of writing. He has some free articles posted on Luminous Landscape if you want to check whether it is for you.

It was a good review for the K5 IIs, and now has me thinking seriously about upgrading from my K5.

Ross
05-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Reid probably has his reasons for only using the one lens - he certainly owns and uses quite a few Pentax lenses. Yes, there are plenty of free review sites on the web, but unlike most, Reid Reviews has a relaxed, knowledgeable, civilised tone and is very photographer-led (as opposed to pixel-led). He's taken very seriously by the camera manufacturers themselves, including Ricoh, who consult him on product development. So if you're not reading him (and I accept, it is a financial commitment), you're really missing something.