Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor & Shake Reduction

I understand how the shake reduction works with the sensor, but is the sensor secured or locked in place when the camera is off? I believe I read somewhere that when the camera is turn off, the sensor is loose and can move around. Why I am asking is that even though I carry the camera & lenses in a good camera bag, the bag rides with me on the back of a motorcycle. I am pretty sure it is insulated from any vibration, but I have no way to really tell.

05-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, the sensor floats around freely. That's why you can hear a clunk sound when moving the camera side to side when it's off.

Subjecting any electronic device to vibrations is never good, so I'd be extra careful!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Subjecting any electronic device to vibrations is never good, so I'd be extra careful!
Indeed. It's not just the electronics of the shake reduction system to worry about, but the glass in the lens, the AF sensor module, the mirror mechanism, the screws in all of the assemblies within the camera, etc etc etc. The shake reduction system should be the least of your worries
05-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I understand how the shake reduction works with the sensor, but is the sensor secured or locked in place when the camera is off? I believe I read somewhere that when the camera is turn off, the sensor is loose and can move around. Why I am asking is that even though I carry the camera & lenses in a good camera bag, the bag rides with me on the back of a motorcycle. I am pretty sure it is insulated from any vibration, but I have no way to really tell.
If you are taking a camera on a motorcycle keep it on your person, not strapped to the bike. I made this mistake some
years ago riding a bike to Ireland, the camera was a Pentax SV with a Super Tak 85 lens. The lens rear element unscrewed
due to vibration, rendering the camera useless for the rest of the trip. Be warned!

05-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmm, I'm off on a ride for a few days from tomorrow. I'm taking the *istD rather than the K-5 or K-7 just so I don't subject the newer cameras to too much vibration. However, I had also planned to wrap the camera in soft clothing and stick it in my topbox.

I will be on a V-twin vibrator - a Suzuki V-Strom DL650. We'll only do about 1,000km,
05-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #6

When I take my K-5 & lenses on the motorcycle (which is not too often), it is either extremely well padded in the top box, but mostly in a back pack.

One reason I bought a compact camera was to have a smaller, lighter and less expensive camera to take on the bike - which has large sensor, RAW, inbuilt zoom and more manual controls than most compacts. That narrowed my choice down to a Canon G1 X.
05-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As much as in-camera and in-lens shake reduction are helpful....one can't beat the set-up the camera-man on the left has. I'm off to get this descrete set-up for the K-01, as I find it hard to keep the sensor and camera stable when tripods are inappropriate. (Edit: lens carrier around the waist will be useful too).

Last edited by utak; 07-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.
05-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Hmm, I'm off on a ride for a few days from tomorrow. I'm taking the *istD rather than the K-5 or K-7 just so I don't subject the newer cameras to too much vibration. However, I had also planned to wrap the camera in soft clothing and stick it in my topbox.

I will be on a V-twin vibrator - a Suzuki V-Strom DL650. We'll only do about 1,000km,
Don't put your camera in a top box. My Pentax SV was wrapped in a towel in soft panniers,but still couldn't escape the vibration. I suggest you put it in a backpack. Digital cameras and their electronics are far more sensitive than mechanical film bodies. Enjoy your trip.
05-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The bike I ride is a Goldwing, so vibration is not actually a problem. I do travel on a lot of forest roads (I call the bike my 900 pound dirt bike) but the suspension does a pretty good job. The camera stuff is always in a camera bag in the back trunk of the bike. Over the years I have carried two different Canon dSLR's with lenses attached along with other lens, some with IS, and never had a problem with anything being damaged. Of course there is always the first time. But I never thought of a camera sensor moving around loosely and got to wondering about that.
05-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
As much as in-camera and in-lens shake reduction are helpful....one can't beat the set-up the camera-man on the left has. I'm off to get this descrete set-up for the K-01, as I find it hard to keep the sensor and camera stable when tripods are inappropriate. (Edit: lens carrier around the waist will be useful too).
Nice pic of R Federer. But we know what he looks like! You missed the focus on the main man with all the photo gear!! (sarc)
05-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #11

Not just bikes though - I know plenty of people who carry their camera gear around in the boot of the car. There can be a fair bit of bumping around in there as well, but I've never heard of any issues (although I'd rather not take unnecessary chances - whenever possible I always carry it on the back seat).
If I carry it in the top box on the bike (which is not that often) instead of a back pack (camera or laptop computer, for that matter) I will pad it out with a couple of old cushions or something similar. That seems to be fairly effective.