Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
{ moire worries }

I was worried about this, but i think that keeping the k5 would help. I don't believe it will be an issue with most wedding dresses, but it could happen with more with the tuxes, bridesmaids dresses, or a random guests clothing.
Then just get the K5-II non-s then. Moire problem solved.

Regards,
--Anders.

05-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've been telling you to shoot with two bodies for a while, so no change there.

If the K5IIs can be had for around $1000USD it's a no brainer.
If you ever wanted to sell the camera, and take a 50% hit, the only way people wouldn't scoop up a $500 K5IIs would be that EVERYTHING under that used price would have collapsed.

That has NEVER happened as Kx/Kr/K30 and the like retain tremendous value considering.

Heck, over ten years has passed and the *istD STILL sells used for around $150-200.

So the point is, even used, if something better comes along, you are probably going to get a used price for the K5IIs somewhere north of $700!

So for $300? You are not upgrading?
05-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you should definitely go for it Allison. From what I can see the K5 II gives some improvement over the K5 in areas which are important for wedding photography (low light, etc). In addition, it would be a lot easier shooting with a K5 and K5 II together, than say, a K5 and a K20, because the tactile memory for them will be the same -- less thinking about which body you are using. Same batteries, same grips. In addition, I think editing photos would be easier than having photos from two different sensors...
05-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my take on used prices. Obviously this is my unscientific take, but what I think are ball park prices for used Pentax cameras.

*istD/DL/DL2 - generation - $100-200 depending on the condition
K20/K10/K110 - generation - $200 - 350 depending on the condition
K-m/K-x/K-r - generation - $300 - $400 depending on the kit/body lenses
K7 - $400-500
K5 classic - $500 - 700
All the K5II bodies have to fall above $700 dollars at this point.

The K5IIs will probably only fall a few hundred dollars at MOST regardless of what Pentax gives us.

In fact, the longer Pentax takes to produce high end gear, the more expensive the replacement usually comes! Take the DA560 for example.

So, I think there will be a new body north of $1500 when it finally becomes available. Probably closer to $2000. When that happens, the K5IIs will become a deal, and you might actually see a jump in price since the K5IIs is such an awesome camera.

Really, it's a no brainer to upgrade.

The only folks that don't have a compelling reason to upgrade are the folks like me who already shoot with 2 K5 cameras and grips or 645D users.

05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My K-01 often goes with me for events too. I typically have the K-5 IIs (with 50-135 or 70-200) and K-5 (with 16-50) on a BlackRapid double sling, and the K-01 around my neck with the 10-17. It is great to have that range available at all time, and a capable video camera there when you need it. Switching lenses on the fly is a pain.
and see, I am right with you on the BlackRapid too! I was thinking that it would be the best way to move into that two camera system. Are you using the grips on either the K5 or IIs?

Plus, it is interesting that you are going tele with the IIs and wide on the K5. I was initially thinking the other way with the 16-50 on the IIs (and then occasionally switching to the 31, 43, 77, 100 as needed) and keeping either the 50-135 or 60-250 on the K5.
05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you should definitely go for it Allison. From what I can see the K5 II gives some improvement over the K5 in areas which are important for wedding photography (low light, etc). In addition, it would be a lot easier shooting with a K5 and K5 II together, than say, a K5 and a K20, because the tactile memory for them will be the same -- less thinking about which body you are using. Same batteries, same grips. In addition, I think editing photos would be easier than having photos from two different sensors...
This is actually a very good point.
05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
So, I think there will be a new body north of $1500 when it finally becomes available. Probably closer to $2000. When that happens, the K5IIs will become a deal, and you might actually see a jump in price since the K5IIs is such an awesome camera.
I agree with your thoughts here. That reasoning is part of why I made the jump from the K-5 to IIs. Another big plus is using the same grip, batteries, etc. and also not having to learn a new camera/buttons/menu system.

05-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you using the grips on either the K5 or IIs?

Plus, it is interesting that you are going tele with the IIs and wide on the K5. I was initially thinking the other way with the 16-50 on the IIs (and then occasionally switching to the 31, 43, 77, 100 as needed) and keeping either the 50-135 or 60-250 on the K5.
I have gone off using the DBG-4, because I found I was inadvertently shifting the extra exposure wheels and buggering up my next set of shots (until I noticed). If I were shooting studio portraits (or weddings for that matter) I might start using it again. I wish the wheels were *much* stiffer....

I also pack the FA31 and FA77 for just about every shoot that matters, but I use the DA*55 as the intermediate lens rather than the FA43.
05-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I definitely think that shooting K5 and IIs will be easier than K5/K20. The first few weddings after I got the K5 I tried to shoot both and it was a little confusing. But the real reason why I don't shoot with the two bodies I have now is because of the quality difference between the two cameras. The low light of the K5 was such an improvement that it made a huge difference and the K20 just became less used until it wasn't used at all.

Editing images from two sensors is no dig deal. Yeah, they require different corrections, but you just edit all of the ones from the "primary" sensor. Then you edit one from the second sensor to match the look/feel of the primary and sync the second sensor images to it. Then it is just minor tweaking. They sync feature in LR really helps with this. Sometimes I have shoots that require a second shooter and all of them are Canikons, so I have gotten pretty good at creating a unified collection from two cameras.

@LaurenOE I know that as soon as I start shooting with 2 cameras I am going to kick myself for not listening to you guys sooner!
05-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I agree with your thoughts here. That reasoning is part of why I made the jump from the K-5 to IIs. Another big plus is using the same grip, batteries, etc. and also not having to learn a new camera/buttons/menu system.
Ricoh has shown that it is not afraid to inflate prices and I offer yet another scenario.

With the discounted 645D at around $7000 - and the pimping of the same on Facebook - there are HUGE gaps in price points concerning lenses and bodies. The ratios are all out of whack right now.

With the DA560 close to $7000 it makes sense to elevate all the other lenses in the Pentax lineup to come *up* in price, so that the DA560 looks cheaper and the Pentax lineup appears *upscale*.

Even with the recent increases, expect at least one or two more *adjustments* so that the DA*300 comes in around $2000 which would make it about 1/2 the cost of the DA560. The DA560 might come down in price a bit, so expect that too. Once the lens prices make sense - from the flagship perspective - the bodies will be aligned too.

I think the new bodies will be introduced higher than traditional Pentax price points and reflect a quasi "Double Megapixel, Less than double cost"

Lower Spec DSLR - $300
K30 - $500
K5IIs - $1000
K30 Replacement - $1500
High End APS-C Replacement - $2000-2500 - because it is taking so long.
Full Frame - $3000-3500
645D - $7000
645DII - $8000-10,000

So to buy a K5IIs now makes perfect sense and is almost future proof at the current price.

All the other offerings from Pentax will hover around the $500 price point (Q,MX,WG and whatever other toys Pentax can dream up).
05-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@LaurenOE I know that as soon as I start shooting with 2 cameras I am going to kick myself for not listening to you guys sooner!
As a pro - you will never go back. I can't shoot without two bodies. Even if one stays away, it is ready with a lens or not. 3 DSLRs would be awesome!!!!

So many times either through weather or the situation, I am always grateful there is another camera. I have been known to give a camera to someone else and say "Here..just point it and click" or I put two cameras on with Cactus remotes to fire at the same time. The list goes on and on.

Honestly, the K-01 is also always with me, as is the Q, so technically I am shooting with 4 cameras...5 if I count my husband's K30.

So take a deep breath and at least start shooting with two cameras!
05-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lauren, the K-5 II successor would have to remain at the $1500 price point. Higher than that and it would not sell amidst the competition. That can be said about the K30 successor and the FF camera. Their price points have to make it viable and competitive. The only way a $3000 FF camera will be a sound seller is if it competes favourably with the D800. That's both a tall order technically as well as for the Pentax clientele, who are more enthusiast than high-end professional and may want less expensive way to enjoy the FF experience.

Nevertheless it makes the K-5 IIs at the $1000 point a very good camera to invest into at this stage.
05-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. 100%
It is sublime to have two identical cameras when out shooting.
05-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Lauren, the K-5 II successor would have to remain at the $1500 price point. Higher than that and it would not sell amidst the competition. That can be said about the K30 successor and the FF camera. Their price points have to make it viable and competitive. The only way a $3000 FF camera will be a sound seller is if it competes favourably with the D800. That's both a tall order technically as well as for the Pentax clientele, who are more enthusiast than high-end professional and may want less expensive way to enjoy the FF experience.

Nevertheless it makes the K-5 IIs at the $1000 point a very good camera to invest into at this stage.
Agree. I would HOPE that the K5IIs replacement stays there, and sound price points are established, but...I don't know...Pentax is integrating the Ricoh folks, and they (the Ricoh folks) have shown an ignorance to price points compared to demand and what people want and what sells.
05-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody! Enabling complete! Ordered and will arrive tomorrow! Yay!

Now I just have to figure out if I am going to buy a second grip too