Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should I? K5IIs

Okay. This is the time to decide if I buy a new camera or not. I am only considering the k5IIs right now (unless someone has a really compelling arguement otherwise). Please weigh in.

Pros:
1. I have some amazon gift cards and they are burning a hole in my pocket right now. With recent price drops, I can have the camera for less than I spent on the k5 two years ago.
2. I have 14 more weddings to shoot in 2013 and i have already started booking 2014. I think shooting with two cameras is the right decision for me.
3. My LBA is currently in remission and honestly, I am not buying another lens until I know the outcome of FF.
4. I have to buy something for my tax deductions.
5. Selling the *istDL is long overdue. If I buy I can also sell the K20 and grip further reducing my cost.
6. This is the last break between weddings where I have long enough to incorporate a new camera into my system.
Cons:
1. Why are there suddenly so many deals/price changes? Is something new shortly to be released? Will that something be a much more impressive aps-c and I will regret the k5IIs?
2. I could upgrade my iPad this year instead of a camera. Then I could go all out in a FF in 2014 (but only if they give us FF).
3. My current set up is working. I don't have to shoot with two cameras.
4. I have purchased some flashes and new sample albums this year. There is also advertising to renew. Maybe I don't need to spend anything else for tax deductions.
5. Maybe it won't feel like much of an upgrade - is the improved AF really that improved?
6. Purchasing a new camera will eventually lead me to spending more money on another grip.

Please help.

05-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do it! Pull the trigger! I swear I am not an enabler...
05-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't say much about the importance of your other expenses/tax issues so I'll leave that up to you.

But regarding the AF of the k5ii(s), I think it's faster, more decisive, more accurate and way better in low light. That's really the main reason I bought it and I am not disappointed. The extra sharpness of the iis is pretty awesome though too - it adds a bit more pop to my photos.

I know when I've shot in situations where having 2 types of lenses (one short zoom, one long or maybe one fast, one zoom), having 2 bodies was very helpful. In a fast paced environment like a wedding, I would think that would help a lot.

If you're going to be a 2 body shooter eventually anyway, then maybe now is the time. But it's far from necessary - you just have to balance out your other financial considerations...
05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having two (functionally) identical bodies is great for shooting events of all kinds.

Besides which, most people say shooting weddings with just one body is a mistake. They're probably right.

The IIs is down around $950 on Amazon.

I vote yes.

05-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seriously Allison, get the K-5 IIs; two fully-capable bodies will make life *much* easier.

The resolution and AF accuracy and low-light capability are better with the K-5 IIs, and the only downside is an increased potential to create moire (rare in my experience). In those situations, just shoot the K-5.

I think waiting for something which might not arrive for a while, when there is something already available which will help your business, is silly.
05-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I wonder if you will have moire trouble with high sheen, mesh, and fine-patterned fabrics without an AA filter.
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You could sell the k20d and the *istDL, and pick up a used K5 from the market. Then you could still get your iPad and be ready for the next thing.

05-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

GET THE K5IIS.............

Like, seriously...
05-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep go for it!
Just sold my K-5 and upgraded to the IIS. It is well worth the upgrade. Noticeably sharper images and faster/more accurate focussing. No micro AF adjustment required for any of my lenses now too!

Last edited by Papa Lazarou; 05-15-2013 at 03:31 AM.
05-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have already answered the question for my self as a big resounding YES! My only question remaining is "when?" and I'm working on it...
05-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Its a yes from me, and thats 10 from 10 responses
05-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would have to agree with the rest Allison. I'm sure this all doesn't help your wallet, but the IIs is a near perfect APS-C camera. It's an improvement on your *ist DL and K20D. So much so, it will help you get the most out of your photographic ventures.
05-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
But regarding the AF of the k5ii(s), I think it's faster, more decisive, more accurate and way better in low light. That's really the main reason I bought it and I am not disappointed. The extra sharpness of the iis is pretty awesome though too - it adds a bit more pop to my photos.
This is why I am thinking of picking up the iis instead of a second k5. The improved performance of the AF in low light is especially appealing.

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I wonder if you will have moire trouble with high sheen, mesh, and fine-patterned fabrics without an AA filter.
I was worried about this, but i think that keeping the k5 would help. I don't believe it will be an issue with most wedding dresses, but it could happen with more with the tuxes, bridesmaids dresses, or a random guests clothing. I am thinking I would shoot wide on the iis and tele on the k5 during the ceremony. If I get some moire on a picture during the dancing part of the reception it won't be a big deal since I do try to keep some of the ambient in the shot and the dj lights cause all sorts of colors. I just don't think it would be very noticeable in those shots unless you are really pixel peeping. Plus, those pictures are never printed large.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Seriously Allison, get the K-5 IIs; two fully-capable bodies will make life *much* easier.

The resolution and AF accuracy and low-light capability are better with the K-5 IIs, and the only downside is an increased potential to create moire (rare in my experience). In those situations, just shoot the K-5.

I think waiting for something which might not arrive for a while, when there is something already available which will help your business, is silly.
Sandy - your post says it all, so I am going to go for it. I really want to move to a two body system, the iis offers some extras, and it is already here. I won't be buying a camera that is released in august because I won't have enough time with it between events. Btw, I love that you have the k01 in your kit too...I would love to add that in for personal stuff, but I have to keep this to one camera at a time.
05-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Sandy - your post says it all, so I am going to go for it. I really want to move to a two body system, the iis offers some extras, and it is already here. I won't be buying a camera that is released in august because I won't have enough time with it between events. Btw, I love that you have the k01 in your kit too...I would love to add that in for personal stuff, but I have to keep this to one camera at a time.
You wont regret it Allison. Don't believe the nay-sayers; the K-5 IIs is a genuine upgrade from the K-5.

My K-01 often goes with me for events too. I typically have the K-5 IIs (with 50-135 or 70-200) and K-5 (with 16-50) on a BlackRapid double sling, and the K-01 around my neck with the 10-17. It is great to have that range available at all time, and a capable video camera there when you need it. Switching lenses on the fly is a pain.

The thing I really like about the K-01 is when the pros in the pit give you props for carrying a film camera
05-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't think your K-20 would suit your needs as the second body, I can't argue with either a used K-5 or the new K5IIs. Event shooting isn't my forte, but of course the low-light capability for the K5s are useful at receptions and in halls etc. Personally, I think if you can avoid flashes at these events you can get more casual images.