Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 only exposes correctly in auto

Hi there, I'm hoping someone might shed some light on this issue. Basically my K5 has developed an odd issue where it exposes correctly if used in auto (green) mode, but not if I use any other mode such as Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority. Any attempt to use Tv, Av, TAv, Sv results in a massively underexposed shot that is completely dark. Pentax seem to think the problem is with me, but I can't for the life of me figure out what might be wrong.

I've updated to the latest firmware 1.14, but the problem persists. I've also returned the camera to it's factory settings and again the problem persists. I've tried a range of my lenses and all have the same issue. The camera worked fine just a few months ago.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Rich

05-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post some example shots straight out of camera? Could be a setting that you're overlooking or something like that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Samples attached
Attached Images

05-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I noticed when I first got mine it did the same thing, so I simply put it in manual mode and left it there.

05-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What about P mode?
05-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

unfortunately, the pictures you posted don't have the exif information intact (that I can tell anyway) so I can't tell what settings you used. What mode was that image taken? Did you have any exposure bias? What is your iso set to?

Ideally, having the exif info available would help us help you the most or directing us to where you have the pic hosted could help us get the info that would help.
05-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In P/Av/TAv/Tv or Sv, what are:
- your ISO settings?
- your exposure compensation settings?

And yes, post a JPG with EXIF intact pls.

Or run one of your problem JPGs through EXIFtool and post the text output here.

05-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks like the exposure compensation may have inadvertently been set way down. Also, if you are in shutter priority, it is possible the shutter is set too fast to permit a proper exposure no matter what aperture is set.

As others have mentioned, we need to know what settings were used to have any insight.
05-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Guys - thanks all for feedback. EXIF data is attached, IMGP6789 is the correctly exposed one, IMGP6790 is the under exposed one using shutter priority.

P mode does not work either.

I don't have any exposure compensation set, the camera is set to default settings except for the LCD illumination turned off and the aperture ring set to allowed (yes I've tried turning this off, same result). The camera is behaving as though there is much more light coming through to the meter than there actually is. I can see the meter reading showing a correctly exposed shot, but then the result is always massively under-exposed.

Yes it works fine in full manual mode, but there are so many occasions when I want to shoot in Av, Tv or TAv in particular. I'm not a complete novice, I've been shooting with Pentax DSLRs since my first *ist DL.
Attached Images

05-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For the dark pic you had 1/250, f16 and ISO 200?
Compared to 1/50, f4 and ISO 100 for the first pic.

Seems pretty clear that the shot was going to be drastically underexposed. Did you set those parameters for shutter and ISO while shooting under Tv? Can you still manually set the shutter speed to anything?
05-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Stupid question..... have tried removing the battery?
05-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Your office must be bright. (about EV10 - ish)
I just took a shot at f4.5 1/50 iso100 (with a sigma zoom at 10mm) and my shot looks almost as dark as your second shot.

Setting 1/250 at ISO200 even with f4.5 is going to be maybe 2 stops? more underexposed so it would be darker.

But why did it shut down to f16? - that's under by about 6stops.
05-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
oh dear, it's official, I am a complete and utter numpty of the highest order. Somehow my camera had been adjusted to -5 in exposure compensation. I swear that I had checked it earlier, honest...

I'm off to give myself a stern talking to before having a play with my new Q (that's not a euphemism). So sorry for utterly wasting everyones time, my humble apologies.
05-16-2013, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GadgetFan Quote
oh dear, it's official, I am a complete and utter numpty of the highest order. Somehow my camera had been adjusted to -5 in exposure compensation. I swear that I had checked it earlier, honest...

I'm off to give myself a stern talking to before having a play with my new Q (that's not a euphemism). So sorry for utterly wasting everyones time, my humble apologies.
Good you got it solved -- happy shooting!
05-16-2013, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Wow, that is bad. My mental arithmetic says that the second image is six stops below the first.

To see whether you've got a repair job / sell-for-parts candidate, try using it in either TAv or P mode (Green mode is basically P). With the standard programmed autoexposure configuration, Av and Tv are just a quick turn of a dial away. If these work, then you'll simply need to avoid the two modes that don't.

Just out of interest, does the issue occur if you mount a first party lens?

EDIT:
Just saw your last post. Glad it was the obvious reason!

Last edited by top-quark; 05-16-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Thread updated.